+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: iPod v CD shoot out

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Alfa's comment about AIFF sounding better than WAV, this is an interesting comment have never used AIFF before.
    Apologies, it was not my intention to convey that AIFF sound better than WAV, i meant it sounds better than the compressed formats. (Lossless or not)

However i do think it does sound equal to WAV, but have the advantage of carrying tags.

Br Mike

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    So try copying a vinyl record to HDD on a computer then.
    You can't.
    It is possible to get a representation of the record by recording it digitally, hence my comment.
    You can no more "rip" a vinyl record than you can a cassette tape.

I hear the term "vinyl rip" being bandied about and it is incorrect.
    I'd prefer to hear the term "needledrop" as it's a more accurate way of describing things
    Unfortunately the link you posted up before (the wikipedia one) does say that ripping includes digitising...

However, wikipedia is written by a few people bothering to keep it updated and 'correct' in their eyes. Nothing stops these people from being equally wrong as anyone else - all it does is reflect a common mis-conception.

I'd hate to think what a wikipedia article on the word "Literally" would say !

Ripping is about taking data UNCHANGED from one format to the other.

It is impossible to transfer vinyl to a computer without recording all the effects of the cartridge, tonearm, turntable, phono stage, preamp, A/D stage.
    Change equipment and the resulting digital file will sound very different.

i.e. it is a recording with as many sonic variables as any studio recording - type of mic, mic pre-amp, desk etc etc

Citing other people mis-using the term is no form of evidence!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789