+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Hynes Power Supplies

I'm Kevin.

Hello Paul
    I have sent you a PM, also an email, as I'm not sure if my messages are going through, so you may have none or 3. Either way payment has been made to your account.

Many thanks - Kevin

Hello Robert
    I nearly opted for another make myself but then this popped up, so deceided to take a punt. Look forward to hearing your report on your new PSU. It may be some weeks before I get around to installation over here.

Cheers - Kevin
    Kevin.

Technics SL1210 (MN bearing, PH PSU, VDH103), Lenco L75 - to do up. Cambridge 840CA
    mplification: WAD6550 With a few mods(Black Gates, Jupiters, Mullards), WD PRE3(TJ Full music), WD Phono3(Full music)
    Loudspeakers: Troels Gravesen's CA18RNX

I'm Robert.

Nice one Kevin, both our reports and findings should be a good read mine wont be too long now - ATB

I'm Paul.

Default New Upgrade Service

I have been looking for someone on the UK mainland who is prepared to apply the SL1200/SL1210 internal regulator upgrades, as well as a range of upgrades for other quality audio equipment, for those who either do not have the required DIY experience or would just prefer to have a professional do the installation work for them.

I am pleased to announce that one of my long-standing customers contacted me recently offering to do the installation work at his premises. His name is David Webb and he and his business partner run an established photographic company called Advanced Camera Services Ltd (ACS) in Watton, Norfolk.

ACS Ltd service and repair photographic equipment and they develop and modify photographic equipment for UV and IR capability. This modified equipment is widely used by the forensic and medical professions, as well as by artistic photographers, and they have a worldwide customer base.

David has been interested in audio equipment since his school days and has also been involved in the audio industry during the 1980’s where he worked alongside Barry Porter at Audio Concepts Ltd manufacturing the Legend preamp and amplifier. After that he worked at A&R Cambridge (now Arcam). He has also been involved in the pro-audio industry for many years playing drums in bands, setting up and running PA systems for bands including acoustic groups and he also plays guitar for personal enjoyment. His musical and audio industry background is a big advantage, as he understands the needs of audio enthusiasts as well as the fundamentals of music reproduction. He has modified and upgraded all of his own audio equipment and, as a long-standing customer of mine, he has used many of my regulator products in his upgrades.

Essentially David has the right type of experience to provide an excellent modification service for audio equipment upgrades and we will be working together to provide a range of high quality upgrades for a variety of audio equipment for customers in the future. ACS Ltd already has all the space, equipment, technical/musical knowledge and business experience required to provide a first class and reliable service.

The first upgrade offered is the internal regulator installation for the SL1200/SL1210 record decks. More equipment upgrades will be introduced in the near future.

David Webb can be contacted at :-

Advanced Camera Services Ltd
    Unit 10 Linmore Court
    Threxton Road Industrial Estate
    Watton
    Norfolk IP25 6NG

T 01953 889 324
    F 01953 880 086
    ACS_2005@BTconnect.com
    www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk
    Opening Times 9.30am–5.30pm Mon–Fri
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

MartinT Guest

Great service, Paul, especially in view of how the SL-1210 is transformed by your triple-stage regulators.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up

Excellent news, Paul. I'm sure that this will help not only you, but your existing and potential customers. What a great time now for people to sample the sonic delights of your products!

My thanks too go to David Webb, for offering his services - well done!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Hi Martin and Marco,

Thanks guys. Most of my customers are overseas. I have not promoted activity in the UK for quite a while, so there is little awareness of the rather wide range of power supply options I cater for. Time to change this I think.

Martin, out of interest, which battery type did you try with the Bushmaster?

Regards
    Paul
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com

I'm Paul.

The SR8 High Power, High Speed, 40 Watt Shunt Regulated Power Supply

For those interested in high power shunt regulated power supplies the SR8 high power shunt regulated power supply is available. I can set the output voltage anywhere between 3v3 and 24v. The current limit can be customised to supply up to 4 amps as long as the total regulator and current source dissipation at the set output voltage remains below 40 watts for a heat-sink temperature of around 30 degrees C above ambient temperature.

The voltage regulator error amplifier used in the 3v3 to 12v versions has a slew rate of 5,000 volts per microsecond, rise and fall time < 1 nanosecond, settling time of < 10 nanoseconds and a gain bandwidth product of 1 GHz. The voltage regulator error amplifier used in the 12v to 24v versions has a slew rate of 2,000 volts per microsecond, rise and fall time of < 5 nanoseconds, settling time of 30 nanoseconds and a gain bandwidth product of 150 MHz. These high-speed regulators offer exceptional regulation at much higher frequencies than any three terminal regulated power supply and, as far as I am aware, any other audio grade regulated power supply currently used in audio. They are very quiet and have an exceptional supply line rejection over a very wide frequency range as the regulator section low noise voltage reference is derived from the regulated output voltage and the regulator error amplifier is also powered from the regulated output voltage.

Applications include DACs, digital interface products, USB cards like the SoTM, low power audio servers, Clocks like the Antelope Trinity and also the 10M atomic clock, Hard drives both SSD and standard drives etc.

They are also ideal for powering field coil loudspeaker drive units as they can absorb the large reverse current flow generated by the loudspeaker back EMF without losing regulation like a series regulator would.

Rainer Weber of Kaiser Acoustic, Germany used these power supplies to power his audio server SSD hard drive and SoTM USB digital interface card at the Munich High End show this year. See post 11 at :-

http://jplay.eu/forum/hydepark/munic...012-and-jplay/

Rainer achieved a Best Sound award from High Fidelity High End 2012. It is a pleasure to be a small part of the total effort expended by Rainer to achieve this award this year. See post 9 at :-

http://jplay.eu/forum/hydepark/munic...012-and-jplay/

See also post 4 where Roy Gregory was impressed with the Kaiser/Leading Edge collaboration at the Munich show. Incidentally the Vertex AQ Aletheia DAC used in the Kaiser room uses Hynes local shunt regulators with a Hynes series master regulator in the power supply.

Interesting that manufacturers using my regulators in their products are getting “best sound of show” awards regularly now. Obviously it is not just the regulators that are providing such exceptional performance, as there is a lot of design effort throughout these products, but the power supply is a very significant part of the sound quality that is achieved.

SR8 photo ;-

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w...gulatedPSU.jpg

The SR8 power supplies cost £525 each and high performance OFC DC leads cost £35 for a 1 metre length and standard DC jack termination. Other connectors can be fitted and these will be quoted for at time of application discussion with customers.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hynes View Post
    Martin, out of interest, which battery type did you try with the Bushmaster?
    It was one of these, Paul:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...E:L:OU:GB:1123

I'm Alan.

Hi Paul

I have a MAC mini (2009, external PS) which I only use for audio. The monitor (TV) is rarely connected unless the kids and I are looking at youtube... Mouse & Keyboard are battery, Young DAC has it's own supply.

So basically an audio only application, running iTunes & Audirvana+. Which of your units would be appropriate here, given the low load placed on it?

Thanks in advance,

Alan
    Best regards, Alan
    Also playing on AudioChews

I'm Paul.

Hi Alan,

I would use the SR5-18v5 as you are running the Mac lean. This can provide 4.5 amps continuous and much more than this under transient conditions. As luck would have it, I have set up an offer on this power supply at the moment for AudioCircle Mac Mini users.

Here is link to the offer :

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109381.0

See post 18 for the details.

Get back to me if you have any questions you need answering.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast