+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Reffc System Pictures

I'm Paul.

Hi Phil...glad to hear that they're still in the front row and looking very nice too. Their replacements take up rather a lot more room! Happy Christmas to you too Phil.

I'm Phil.

thanks so much , yes I did look at the verity leonore that bonzo and midland audio are selling but its a bit bigger . these fit nicely into a room . I must hear yours one day
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Will.

Had a very pleasant day out at Paul's yesterday when delivering his amp. We played a few LPs, CDs and even streamed a few tracks from his laptop. The amp sounded great through his Canterburys which are a great match for the Radford - they work well with the low source impedance that the amplifier offers.

There's a lot to be said for his big RFC Canterburys that show that a carefully implemented crossover and cabinet can mean Tannoy drive units, especially HPDs, can sound fully modern. Very tight bass and with a clean midrange, both of which are notoriously difficult to get right when implementing these units, but Paul has managed spectacularly with his design.
    Last edited by Radford Revival; 22-12-2016 at 20:45.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post

The aim was to assemble a system largely made by UK artisan manufactures, or mainstream UK made kit, so we have Michell, SME, Garrard, Hadcock, TRON, Radford (to come!), a TRON preamp (to come!), RFC (speakers/cables/hifi furniture), Rega.
    Looks absolutely lovely. Bravo for promoting UK manufacturers

I'm Paul.

Thanks Charlie. You'll have to pop over after Graham's dropped off the Seven Linestage and hear the completed system

I'm Paul.

That's a VERY handsome amp, Paul. I'm only slightly jealous

I'm Ian.

Yup the amp looks great Paul, well done. Looks at treat with the Canterburys.

Cheers

Ian

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Update on the DAC:

Surprisingly, at the price, it does manage to better the Rega's own internal DAC whilst offering a great solution for streaming audio from Spotify or wherever. Noise floor is impressively low, even when the valve output is selected, and there's no euphonic or rolled off presentation with the valve output. The Rega is now only being used as a transport.

There's also not a lot of difference that I can detect between the all SS or valve output. I think that the valve setting just has it for me. It just seems a little smoother.

In summary, it's a relatively well made DAC, even if the instructions are garbage and the description was incorrect (stating that it can be used as a stand alone preamp....it can't unless you have a digital source with its own volume control or unless you specify that you want the volume wired up with the DAC circuit before ordering). The headphone amp is a bonus and very nice too. The volume control only works with the headphones (not the DAC although it can be configured that way...better not to though unless you specifically want it as a preamp) and the headphone socket does not mute the speaker output despite the instructions saying otherwise. I can forgive the misleading instructions and description though for the sound quality. It is detailed without ever getting bright or harsh, allows a little more resolution than the Rega internal DAC (welcomed). Its a cracking little DAC for the money. How long it lasts, I'll have to see but it does seem remarkable vfm, and it says something when it's holding its own within a £20K + system. Whilst the rest of the system is most definitely in the" Best of British" vain, I'll allow this little usurper a visa to enter that system and stay for as long as it wants

There will be a further update today...anyone guess what the revised photos might show? (another newcomer to the fold arrives via private carriage later today )
    who did you get the dac/headphone amp from Paul? May be looking for something like that myself
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    who did you get the dac/headphone amp from Paul? May be looking for something like that myself
    That was an Ebay special Grant. There's a few knocking about. REally quite a nicely made thing but specs vary as to whether you'll get one with the volume pot wired up or the headphone amp configured to mute main loudspeaker output. Mine does neither (vol is configured only for the headphone amp) but that's a good thing in a way as it's one less control in the signal path for the main DAC. Digital attenuation is used from my macbook source anyway.

I'm Grant.

Cheers Paul.. wasnt sure whether it was the German supplier, Hong Kong or China lol. I want it just for headphones tbh. Have you tried it as a headphone amp yet ?
    Im looking for something to take optical from the chromecast audio dongle and convert and amplify a little. Thought that might be an option.
    Last edited by struth; 28-12-2016 at 10:47.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast