+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hifiman HE-400 headphones

I'm Jerry.

Default Hifiman HE-400 headphones

Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Jerry.

The reason I bought these headphones was that, many years ago, I had a pair of Wharfedale Isodynamics. These inexpensive cans used the same technology but I never owned a source capable of doing them justice. Twenty five years later various manufacturers start to make them again but charge an arm and a leg. The HE-400 is the first I have seen at a decent price.
    After a few hours of burning in they are opening up nicely and are producing a detailed, smooth sound that is very addictive. Coupled with my new valve amplifier (Custom Hifi cables HA10SE) I feel that I am sorted for headphone listening.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm David.

"Very detailed yet warm" it says on headfi ... Sounds like the sort of thing that I'm looking for (still) for the office ... Too much cash unfortunately :/
    Still hope you enjoy them, sounds like you are off to a good start!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

The last very detailed yet warm set of headphones that I bought were the HD650. But I have had more fun and enjoyment in Amsterdam than I have had listening to the HD650. But if Jerry says that these ones are good then they must be good .

I'm Jerry.

Whatever did you get up to in Amsterdam Stan?
    Jerry

I'm Jerry.

Here is a photo with my new amp
    Jerry

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The last very detailed yet warm set of headphones that I bought were the HD650. But I have had more fun and enjoyment in Amsterdam than I have had listening to the HD650. But if Jerry says that these ones are good then they must be good .
    To be honest, since I dropped the voltage to my caiman the grados are sounding lot closer to what I am after for work ... My only issue is that as good as they sound they aren't exactly that great for keeping the music to my self... I have to have them really low volume to avoid annoying everyone else in the room...
    The hunt goes on... It's just to bloody hard to try these things out before you buy...
    Top of the list at the mo is some sort of sennheiser closed back monitor type cans but I'm buggered if I know which ones ...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

how are you getting on with them?

I'm Jerry.

Love them Hamish. I changed the pleather pads for velour and they are now more comfortable. I think they sound great but I have never listened to very high end cans to make an accurate comparison;these will do me for a good few years but I might play around with the amp and try a couple of different valves just out of interest.
    Jerry

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post

Here is a photo with my new amp
    Just got my stocks of hifiman headphones and coincidently took the HE400 out of the box first, plugged into a Furutech GT40 they sounded very good indeed even from cold, a clear improvement over my Senheiser HD600's and some cheaper Grados I bought at Bristol. I dare not try the £950 ones as I may want to buy them for myself!

Build quality is very good don't you think?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast