+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wartime Relics

I'm Shaun.

Default Wartime Relics

A couple of years ago, I was beachcombing at Fraisthorpe in East Yorkshire and came across this concrete relic of the second World war. At first I thought it was a gun emplacement but on researching it a bit I found out that it is in fact a searchlight shelter. This object would have been on top of the nearby cliffs but the coastal erosion here is so fierce that it now resides on the beach.

The whole beach is completely littered with the concrete remains of a bygone conflict that will hopefully never be repeated on our soil but it is a moving reminder of what my Dad did during six years of his life.

I'm Paul.

Superb use of lighting and composition Shaun; it's resulted in a very atmospheric picture

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Superb use of lighting and composition Shaun; it's resulted in a very atmospheric picture
    Cheers for that comment Paul. Unfortunately this was shot using a digital camera so would've been a much better image had I used film () but a photo is a photo and sometimes we have to cut corners

Last edited by Haselsh1; 19-03-2012 at 16:45. Reason: Spelling mistake

I'm Anthony.

Cool, I like wartime relics.

That reminded me of a WW2 Pill Box I snapped at Cayton Bay, Scarborough:

I'm Shaun.

This is a shot from Cayton Bay taken around 2007 using a Mamiya RB67 loaded with Fuji Acros 100 and developed using Paterson FX39. Look at the difference between this and my first digital shot.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post

A couple of years ago, I was beachcombing at Fraisthorpe in East Yorkshire and came across this concrete relic of the second World war. At first I thought it was a gun emplacement but on researching it a bit I found out that it is in fact a searchlight shelter. This object would have been on top of the nearby cliffs but the coastal erosion here is so fierce that it now resides on the beach.

The whole beach is completely littered with the concrete remains of a bygone conflict that will hopefully never be repeated on our soil but it is a moving reminder of what my Dad did during six years of his life.
    Fantastic picture Shaun.

Reminds me of the sort of imagery HP Lovecaflt came up with in his books.

Regards D S D L

I'm Shaun.

Another shot from Cayton Bay around 2007.

Thanks for the comments Davros, I have a huge passion for old wartime relics and disused airfields when I can get access that is which isn't very often.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Just out of eyeshot, there is a Sea Devil lurking in the water, in the distance, bringing with it the cold dread of death.....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

This is the same as the first image shown here but this one was shot using film in a Mamiya RB67 with a 55mm lens. Film loaded was Fuji Acros 100 which was developed using Paterson FX39.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just out of eyeshot, there is a Sea Devil lurking in the water, in the distance, bringing with it the cold dread of death.....

Marco.
    You been watching Dr Who again...? Get back behind the sofa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast