+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes for scrumptious and reasonably healthy food

I'm Neil.

Roast chicken.

Don't worry about getting the rub under the skin, it causes too many complications such as the skin pulling away from the meat during cooking, and doesn't harm flavour if you season directly on top.

Get it out of the packet and pat it dry all over with kitchen roll.

Grind over the skin with sea salt and pepper, generously. Leave it for an hour or so out of the fridge.

Skin and quarter an onion, squash a whole unskinned clove of garlic. 4x of them, and squish each piece into an onion quarter before shoving each quarter + clove into the bird. 2 or 3 decent sprigs of rosemary and thyme in the bird.

Throw 5x or so shallots and 3x cloves of garlic into a roasting pan, light rub of extra virgin olive oil over the chicken skin, now, the important part.

For the first half hour at least, roast the chicken upside down in the roasting pan. This will mean that the thigh and leg cook properly whilst protecting the breast.

During the last hour to 40 mins flip the chicken over so it is breast side up. Best thing about this method apart from the flavour is that there is no need to baste.

Once done, pour some of the juices out into the pan for your gravy, and tightly wrap your chicken up in foil, rest for 20 mins, turn over every 5 mins to keep the remaining juices running over the bird.

When unwrapping, pour the rest of the juices into your gravy. Use a whisk to squash your roasted shallots and garlic that you put in the roasting pan (which you poured into your gravy pan), for sieving later.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Yomanze; 10-01-2016 at 18:36.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Drools . . . 😊
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Grant.

Warm soda bread. Not much can beat it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Especially with a proper Irish stew.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Grant.

Default Recipes for scrumptious and reasonably healthy food

Got some Canadian bread flour in so made a 2lb freehand cob with it.... came out well...ive been busy all week making mini pizzas lol.

Looking forward to this cooling

Edit: ts delicious. Great crust with crisp and chewy, and inside its as light n fluffy as a babies nappy*(before use)* lol. .... tastes much better though Good flour this, so may get some bulk of it, as it will be cheaper
    Last edited by struth; 18-09-2016 at 17:23.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

Looks quite good, Grant. Complement indeed, from me

Much commercial bread isn't really bread. I was looking at a Warbutons Toastie ingredients list. Soya flour indeed. Gotta say their crumpets are good, though. Nice and light and they toast well from frozen. Whatever they are made of LOL.

I think the best home made bread comes from:

1) Long ferment e.g. 12 hours using fresh or frozen baker's yeast. Not many know fresh baker's yeast freezes brilliantly and will last a year or more that way. I strongly advise buying it off ebay and freezing it.

2) Pot baking the loaf with the lid on for half the baking time, then lid off.

3) The realisation that very little kneading is required. The long ferment circumvents the need for it.

I'm drunk.

Beef Vindaloo

Although its says Vindaloo in the title, its more of a madras heat, but has that lovely deep flavour of a vindaloo. Slow cooking in the oven makes it incredibly rich and tender.

Ingredients
    25g Butter
    1 Large Onion
    2 Cloves Garlic
    2 Medium/Large Tomatoes
    2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
    1 Teaspoon Honey
    600g Diced Beef
    20g Chopped Coriander
    ½ cup Stock, or Water
    Spice Mix
    2 Teaspoons Cumin Powder
    1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
    1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    ½ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
    ½ Teaspoon Chilli Powder
    ½Teaspoon Cardamom Powder
    ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
    ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
    ½ Teaspoon Caraway Seeds
    3cm Piece of Ginger (grated)
    2 Bay Leaves
    1 Star Anise

Blend spice mix ingredients (except star anise and bay leaves)
    Heat butter and sauté onions & garlic until tender
    Add tomatoes and half the spice mix and cook for 2 minutes
    Add stock/water, honey and vinegar and bring to boil
    Pour mix into casserole dish
    Fry & brown beef in same frying pan used for onions
    Once brown, add remaining spice mix
    Cook for a further minute and add to casserole dish
    Use splash of water to de glaze pan and pour into casserole dish
    Add star anise and bay leaves, place lid on casserole dish
    Place in oven (140C) for 2 hours
    Remove from oven, stir add stock/water if required
    Return to oven without lid for 20 – 30 minutes
    Keep an eye on dish, as it will thicken quickly from this point
    Serve with rice and chopped coriander

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Looks quite good, Grant. Complement indeed, from me

Much commercial bread isn't really bread. I was looking at a Warbutons Toastie ingredients list. Soya flour indeed. Gotta say their crumpets are good, though. Nice and light and they toast well from frozen. Whatever they are made of LOL.

I think the best home made bread comes from:

1) Long ferment e.g. 12 hours using fresh or frozen baker's yeast. Not many know fresh baker's yeast freezes brilliantly and will last a year or more that way. I strongly advise buying it off ebay and freezing it.

2) Pot baking the loaf with the lid on for half the baking time, then lid off.

3) The realisation that very little kneading is required. The long ferment circumvents the need for it.
    I never got on with potting a loaf.. must have done something wrong. I bung it in oven with some cold water flung in bottom for steam. Improves the crust(if i want a thicker chewy one) if you pop a tea towel over it when cooling it softens it enough..leave off if you want it crusty. Prefer fresh yeast but not got any at moment so using a decent dried. You dont really get as good aroma though
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

latest baby, just ready for flouring and baking.. yum today n tomorrow
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast