+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes for scrumptious and reasonably healthy food

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It’s a Catholic thing, mate. Yup, we’ve given up all alcohol, for the duration of Lent, not just wine.

TBH, we don’t miss it that much as we’re not big drinkers. Normally, it’s a bottle or (maybe) two of red wine between us at the weekend, and maybe a few beers during the week (I mean two or three small bottles of continental lager), and that’s it.

On Sunday, for lunch or dinner, whichever we decide to do for the main meal of the day, Del will cook something special, so I always open a really nice bottle of red (French claret or burgundy usually) to go with it. *That* is when we miss alcohol, as drinking mineral water, or something else non-alcoholic, with a lovely roast leg of lamb (or whatever) doesn’t really do it!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

well done anyways....could be worse you might have had to go without other things.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Lol!

Well done? Nah, that’s sacrilege... Pinkish in the middle, and nicely done on the outside, cut into neat slices (and served with lashings of home-made gravy, created from the meat juices, with a little red wine added), after being slowly roasted and studded with loads of fresh garlic and rosemary!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Re-reading this thread, I’ve just realised I’ve misunderstood what you meant by “well done”!

I iz a dafteeeeeeee……..

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrei.

This is what I did for a Pot-Luck dinner we went to last night; it is a salad.
    Throw together the following, apart from the silverbeet, corn and salmon everything is uncooked:

- Handful of cherry tomatoes;
    - Small quantity of finely chopped celery;
    - Small quantity of finely chopped spring onion;
    - 1 small radish, finely chopped;
    - Small quantity of fetta cheese;
    - Large bush of Silverbeet;
    - A second leafy green - lettuce or rocket (or both for that matter)
    - 1 diced cucumber;
    - small handful of pumpkin seeds;
    - good sprinkling of sesame seeds;
    - Pitted and chopped Kalamata olives;
    - 1 cob of corn
    - 1 Very finely sliced or shredded carrot
    - 250 gram salmon steak.

The silverbeet should be chopped finely and and boiled. When cooked, cool it with running water and then squeeze it in your hands to all the water out. You will notice it appears about a tenth of the size you began with, so make sure you start with heaps.
    The corn can be microwaved for 3 mins in its sleeve. Take it out of the magnatron and peel off the leaves under cold running water. Then take all the corn off the cob and allow to cool.

The key to the look of this salad is all the great colours. The key to the flavour is in the salmon. Buy a largish smoked salmon steak. On that has cajun spices is ideal. It is the salmon and the salmon oil that imparts the flavour.

The net result is a salad that is a substantial meal in its own right. The salmon gives a good aroma and there are a full range of colours to make it welcoming.

Options. Tuna is ok as a cheaper option but I only use if I am making it for just myself, otherwise it is worthwhile getting a really good salmon.
    The silverbeet can be replaced with spinach.
    You can add one sliced picked cucumber - what what ever you do do not use a pickled cucumber that has been sweetened in any way.
    If you want it without fish at all you can add a little more fetta and olives to impart their flavour and use some hummus as a dressing, or a spoonful of basil pesto into a good quality mayonnaise.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

Sounds nice, Andrei. Just one question: what’s silverbeet? It’s not something we’re familiar with in this country. Perhaps we call it something else… Got a pic?

Marco.
    Main System

Just had a Google around… We know it as Swiss chard

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

OK - proper white bread time. This will make amazing toast.

700g cheap white flour (I used Waitrose Essential Strong - 1.5KG at £1.10 - though LIDL at about 60p works well). One teaspoon of salt and two tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Frozen fresh yeast - about a 4g blob defrosted with luke warm water. Mix dry ingredients first, then hydrate with tap water until all the flour becomes one and the dough is fairly wet.

Hydration is important - get it fairly wet but not too wet. You need to be able to handle it as dough, so think about it. Just stir it with a fork and DO NOT knead it. There's little point in specifying an amount of water as it varies with the flour. You need to judge it.

I used about 2/3s of the blob on the left. The amount is NOT critical as it multiplies all by itself.

Last edited by User211; 01-03-2015 at 13:33.

I'm Justin.

Oil plus yeast plus dry ingredients under the tap. Just add water until all the dry flour in the bowl joins the "blob". That will give you "about" the right hydration.

When it looks like this you are spot on.

I'm Justin.

Leave for 12 hours in a warm place should look like this. Put cling film on top of the bowl for the 12 hours stops the top drying out.

Drop the dough onto a floured surface. Cover your hands in flour and pat it onto the top of the dough. This will make it "handleable". Then fold it but stick your fingers in it first to form aeration pockets. This is critical if you want a light texture. See picture later on.

Pot bake with lid on for 25 minutes at 250 deg C in a cast iron pot that you have pre-heated in the oven.

Lid off for another 25 minutes.

When cool and sliced:

Note the holes that make the bread aerated and light. That was you sticking fingers in the dough like this:

If you don't use the finger method it will still be excellent but really quite dense. Still makes fabulous toast you might even prefer it that way. This loaf would cost you a fiver at my local deli.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast