+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes for scrumptious and reasonably healthy food

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Recipes for scrumptious and reasonably healthy food

Guys,

Hopefully some of you may find this useful...

To make gorgeous gravy for any roast meat (turkey is used as an example):

Simmer the giblets from the turkey with an onion, carrot, celery, and any herbs you've got like rosemary, sage, thyme or parsley stalks and water to make a stock. Simmer for at least an hour. You want to use the juices that the turkey is roasting in plus the stock as a base for the gravy to dissolve the brown 'crusty bits' in the roasting tin.

Add some port or red wine into the gravy and reduce down until you get the consistency you like - you can add cornflower at this stage if necessary to thicken it, mixing it with the red wine or port.

If you want extra flavour add some Lea & Perrins sauce to taste - this will enrich the gravy and also add some more colour if necessary. Strain/spoon off any excess fat that may be floating on top of the gravy for a silky and refined finish.

The secret, though, is in the stock!

As far as the turkey itself is concerned, mix some chopped herbs and garlic together with softened butter and put on the breasts underneath the skin. Cover the breasts and legs of the turkey with plenty of streaky bacon to keep it moist and baste every 20 mins to half an hour. Remove bacon for last half hour to brown the turkey and this can be served along with the turkey as an accompaniment.

Remember to put the stuffing in the neck end only to keep the cavity free in order to circulate heat. Put an onion and some herbs in the cavity to add flavour but don't put the stuffing in there.

Enjoy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

And feel free to add a bit of honey. At just about any point!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Honey? You're on your own with that one, dude! Maybe with a nice ham, but not turkey...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Pffft... Turkey is about a traditional as roast turd!

But yes.... Honey works with just about any roast meat. Except beef. I'm sure there's an act of Parliament against that. If there isn't, there damn well should be!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Pffft... Turkey is about a traditional as roast turd!
    Indeed. Hence why we're having goose tomorrow

It's all down to personal taste (just like with hi-fi) so add honey to turkey if you wish.

Marco.
    Main System

Marco, I need that curry recipe again of Del's else these powders are going to be a disaster

"Powders"? LOL!! They're not for your face

Ok, if Del has time when she's come back from work tonight I'll ask her to dictate the recipe to me and I'll post it here. You can then keep it for reference

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    "Powders"? LOL!! They're not for your face
    Depends what look you're going for I suppose.

I'd like to submit a recipe but my finest cooking hour has been roast potatoes, hardly a work of art. Tasty though.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

What's your method for cooking roast potatoes then, Rob? Go for it - there's always something new to learn even if it may not appear so

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

To be honest it's not really a recipe (as per the thread title) as there's only one ingredient - potatoes. However I do roast them in the skins so that's a little different from the norm. However, Gordon Ramsey I'm not.

1. Wash potatoes but don't peel or pierce the skins.

2. Put in cold water and bring to boil until skins start to lift (about ten minutes).

3. Pop some foil in a non-metallic baking dish.

4. Liberally coat the foil with extra virgin olive oil.

5. Cut boiled potatoes in half and set them flat side down in the dish.

6. Liberally brush extra virgin olive oil on to the potatoes.

7. Pop in hot oven until brown and crispy. I use gas mark 7-8 (which I believe is about 220-230 degC) for about 45 minutes.

8. Eat them however you like, personally I like them with coleslaw.

I should add that occasionally the skins come right off the potatoes, but that's no bad thing as roasted skins are very yummy.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast