• 6 out of 10 - Unobjectionable

0 0%
  • 7 out of 10 – Ok, this is good and worth a few listens

1 8.33%
  • 8 out of 10 - I definitely like this and might even buy it

8 66.67%
  • 9 out of 10 – I almost wet my pants listening to this

1 8.33%
  • 10 out of 10 – Oh my god, I want her babies (you can’t actually, she’s not that way inclined)

1 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 06.03.2012: k d lang – Drag (1997) (CD)

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well I've given it a Spotify listen, and for someone currently giving up smoking and trying not to drink it is not the best antidote! However her superb voice and the recording certainly takes your mind off it, and the song choices are rather excellent. It has certainly made me want to explore her music more and I will get this asap so I can listen to it "full strength" and not just Spotify. I'll refrain from voting until then, and a listen or two more - but it will be a good score I'm sure.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    hmmmm.... apart from Ingenue, I don't have any kd lang... Best I get hold of a copy sharpish.
    Same here, but I'm intrigued by others comments so I'll give this a go tomorrow!

I'm Barry.

Boy oh boy did I not like this, not going to rubbish it just not my thing.
    The rating poll, is it how do I rate it as in production, quality etc or how do I rate it as in do I like it?
    Anyway I voting on the latter 2/10 I'm afraid.

MartinT Guest

It's how you like it, Barry. Fair enough, we can't like everything!

I'm Barry.

Hi Martin, for some reason I just don't connect with female singers, I remember being forced to listen to Sade which I hated and I know she is massively popular.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    Hi Martin, for some reason I just don't connect with female singers, I remember being forced to listen to Sade which I hated and I know she is massively popular.
    It is funny - I'm almost the complete opposite - I connect with far more female singer/songwriters than I do male...

I'm just giving this a proper spin on a fully-leaded copy right now. (cheers for the reminder!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

A 7 from me. I think a real live copy of the album rather than the Spotify version would mean me appreciating it more. On the evidence of this hearing, I'll not be actively seeking it out, but will probably buy it if I come face to face with it in a shop.
    Lately, I've been listening a lot to her album of covers of songs about Canada 'Hymns Of The 49th Parallel' album, which I love to bits.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 13-03-2012 at 00:37.

I'm Keith.

My copy from Amazon marketplace arrived today, so I'll listen and comment shortly.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm ChrisB.

One thing I should have said above though, is that even on the Spotify rendition, you can get more than a hint of that fantastic voice.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    It is funny - I'm almost the complete opposite - I connect with far more female singer/songwriters than I do male...
    In a lot of cases so do I. I think the female voice can be more emotive.

Of course it depends on the musical style but for stuff like this I always prefer the female vocals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast