+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SL-1210 upgrade path

I'm Nick.

Thanks for the mint protractor recommendation. I've dropped them a line about my setup; a stock Goldring Lenco GL75.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Thanks for the mint protractor recommendation..
    You're welcome
    I'm waiting for another MintLP tractor for my Raven One - Michell Tecnoarm
    It's on the fly , it left HK the 17 Dec .. but unfortunately , here , these days are the worst of the whole year for postal service
    I know .. even if I can make a perfect setup of my cartridge with the paper rega template .. the result with the MintLP 'll be much - much and much better
    *** In Stylus Veritas! ***

I'm Pete.

Well after a long series of emails and a long talk on the phone with Dave C. (and a very good deal), I ended up ordering an SME 309 for my SL-1210MK5

I'll post pics when I get it, and of the surgical procedure as its installed.

Happy New Year!! (not for my credit card though....)
    Hearing is believing

SL-1210 Mk5 w/Mike New Platter/bearing/armboard; Hynes SR5 DIY PSU;
    Zyx Airy3X; SME V; Hashimoto HM7 SUT; CJ PR15MkII Phono w/teflon caps.

Modwright LS36.5 Dual Mono Preamp & KWA 150 amp > Paradigm Ref 100 v.4s

MartinT Guest

If the 309 is 90% of the SME IV then you're in for a fantastic listening experience. The 1210 already does structural bass, wait 'til you hear what the SME does! Lovely arm.

I'm Pete.

Just got my Zyx Airy 3X cartridge. Mounted and listening

Still have my modded Technics arm. The SME 309 arm is still at SME in England

Hearing is believing

I'm Peter.

Pete,

Nice photo, about the 309, now I know why Dave C. was getting confused when I was talking to him .

I've got a new arm on the way, from the same supplier, and Like you I'm anxious to get it installed. I heard a Zyx on a Mörch/Platine Verdier a while back and it sounded great, the system fell apart on rock but I think it was the room/speaker interface more than anything else.

I've got an AT33PTG waiting to be installed in a new arm, and I have Dave C's feet and audiophile mat waiting to arrive too. I just ordered an RS acoustics Granite composite base for my Teccie. I have the KAB psu, but I'm waiting for Richard (Gromit) to dislike his recently ordered Time Step psu

I'll swap pics with you when all that is up and running.

Cheers
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Pete,

I'm not getting the pictures - just three white squares with red crosses inside...

You need to move the pictures from being hosted on "head-case.org/forums" to something like Photobucket or Imageshack so that people who aren't members of that forum can also view them. At the moment, if you're not a registed member, and logged-in, they aren't visible

Cheers,
    Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

The pics are visible for me, I'm not a member of head-case.

I'm John.

Good pics - they're visible to me and I'm not a head case........member.

John

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by user34 View Post
    Pete,

Nice photo, about the 309, now I know why Dave C. was getting confused when I was talking to him .

I've got a new arm on the way, from the same supplier, and Like you I'm anxious to get it installed. I heard a Zyx on a Mörch/Platine Verdier a while back and it sounded great, the system fell apart on rock but I think it was the room/speaker interface more than anything else.

I've got an AT33PTG waiting to be installed in a new arm, and I have Dave C's feet and audiophile mat waiting to arrive too. I just ordered an RS acoustics Granite composite base for my Teccie. I have the KAB psu, but I'm waiting for Richard (Gromit) to dislike his recently ordered Time Step psu

I'll swap pics with you when all that is up and running.

Cheers
    I am thinking of modding my KAB PSU to output 21volts (like the timestep psu) and bypass the internal voltage reg in the 1210. I have the Funkfirm 5mm mat and stock feet which I will probably swap out with some sorbothane concoction at some point.

Apparently Dave C. has new design 1200 armboards for the SME arms, but they are not quite ready yet, but probably worth waiting for.

We need pics!
    Hearing is believing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast