+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EAR 859 Integrated - Speaker Match?

I'm ROSS.

Lightbulb EAR 859 Integrated - Speaker Match?

Hi All,

I've just swapped to an EAR 859 Integrated.

I'm looking to find a nice high sensitivity speaker but that is within budget which is up to a grand, but I'd much rather spend closer to £4-600.

I'd be upgrading my Spendor SP2/3's (80's model) as its not quite responsive or fast enough, and they are slightly warm, as is the EAR.

I've searched the web but there isn't too much about. I won't be going down the Quad 57's route for expense and hassle reasons.

Heard great things about the Rogers / various ls3/5a's but they come in at just under a grand second hand. The Linn Ka is supposed to be a worthy contender though not quite as good. Others say older Tannoys, Lowthers or horn speakers, or Snell E or J.

Anyone had experience with the EAR and these speakers? Suggestions? Am a bit lacking on the bass end now but a higher sensitivity speaker may address that.

Also, any recommendations on tube rolling / optimisation for this amp to get it really singing?

Comments appreciated : )

Cheers,

Ross.

I'm george.

pity youre so far away....you could have tried your amp with the EAR primary drive:
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have you considered DIY? Open baffles would be a great match with an amp like this, or having speakers built for you? Colin (Toppsy) who posts here makes some great speakers. See this thread on the Edingdales -

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ight=edingdale

I'm ROSS.

Default EAR 859

@seoirse2002 - yeah would be great. Heard good things about those, they're lookers too.

@Ali - love your profile pic : ) - interesting option, no not considered that, but will now. I'd be looking to have something versatile though, in case I should switch again in the mid term future..

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Not reliable now as many are coming unstuck, but this amp drove Quad 63's extremely well I remember
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross D' Mac View Post
    @seoirse2002 - yeah would be great. Heard good things about those, they're lookers too.

@Ali - love your profile pic : ) - interesting option, no not considered that, but will now. I'd be looking to have something versatile though, in case I should switch again in the mid term future..

The Edingdales I mentioned are around 94db efficient, so will work with anything from flea power valve amps to SS monsters. It don't get much more versatile than that!

OB's are generally around the same sensitivity.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Costs?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The Edingdales are around the 1K mark I believe. OB's vary, cost of drivers in mine are about £400. You then need some wood for the baffles and you need to either build a crossover or run actively with the likes of a Behringer DCX2496 at around £200.

+ Reply to Thread