View Poll Results: Please rate this album.

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 out of 10 - This is a "Classic"? Classic pish I reckon...

1 4.00%
  • 1 out of 10 - Not quite something I stepped in... but close!

0 0%
  • 2 out of 10 - The cover of Lilac Wine was ok, but I'd rather drink it or have some gorgeous curtains in the same colour

0 0%
  • 3 out of 10 - I preferred that bird off of X-factors version of Hallelujah, and at least she was worth a jump!

0 0%
  • 4 out of 10 - Not sure what the fuss is about, to be honest...Let's just top ourselves instead

0 0%
  • 5 out of 10 - Fair to middling: a bit like my IQ

0 0%
  • 6 out of 10 - Pretty good, actually! That's a back-handed compliment

3 12.00%
  • 7 out of 10 - Yep, I get it and I'll get it! Can you tell I'm rather excitable?

3 12.00%
  • 8 out of 10 - An awesome album; that's "awesome" like the smell of my socks!

8 32.00%
  • 9 out of 10 - Practically perfection - deserves the adulation of the assembled daftees!

4 16.00%
  • 10 out of 10 - A World-class album - deservedly gets full marks on the lilac-boy rate-o-meter

6 24.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Album Club: 28.02.2012: Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)

I'm ILOB.

Its interesting how music causes so much differences in taste
    I think if you look at the legacy of Grace and how many musicians loved this album says it all for me.
    Music is truly personal and like Tim this will be in my Desert Island discs
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Did you generally do well from this hunch?
    I did generally. Really, the effect was that it would quickly tell me who was closed minded or only willing to give time to their own interests, and who was more open to new things and willing indulge in one or two of my interests. You could have used a thousand things to find out such information, it just happened with me that it was this album.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Simon.

As far as I am concerned a perfect album. A wonderful voice, great playing from a tight band, good choice of songs, even the covers.

I well remember listening to this for the first time many years ago and thinking it was ok, couldn't see what the fuss is about, all those years later this is a regular on the turntable (thank you Simply Vinyl).

It rocks on the odd track and then it can by a simple gasp of breath, sad and lonely, on another song. Beautiful.

My first 10/10 album club.

I'm john.

Can't find my copy...........
    John.

I'm Dan.

yep, I'll have a listen to this tomorrow.

I do love this album, it's so fragile in places and his voice is just amazing.

personal highlights would be: Grace, So Real, Lover You Should've Come Over.

Hamish played me this album round his place when I didn't know him very well, I'd never heard it before, but I loved it straight from the off!

I'm Barry.

A very unique album there is no common sound almost a collection of covers as it where.
    Really like some not keen on others but a definite 8/10.

I'm Keith.

I settled on 8/10 in the end for this. I need to be in the mood for it, but when I am, then it tends to be played several times in succession. I don't like every track on it, but Mojo Pin; Lilac Wine and Lover, You Should Have Come Over are practically perfection. I mentioned this on another thread, but it always upsets me thinking about how good the music he still had to come would have been.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Mike.

Well guys i gave it a listen again, i heard it years ago and it just didn't impress me then, anyway it's an album i can take or leave, nothing on it really gets the hairs standing up on the back of my neck, but neither does it offend 6/10 for me

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It's not until I get to the track 'Hallelujah' (and all the following tracks) does the album come alive for me.

Despite that I do have a copy and will give it 7/10.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123