+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cut off.

I'm Shane.

Default Cut off.

About 10 min ago, the electrics in our house cut off for no reason. Everything in the house shut down. And my system was on with the radio playing. Just switched my system back on, everything is working. Nothing has blown.

I'm using a Mark Grant distribution block. Does this thing protect your hifi?

I'm Ddeleted.

Nope, they are just 6 or 8 gang sockets with no surge protection or filters of any sort. I've got a Belkin 6 way surge protector. Does the job perfectly and £200 cheaper to boot.

I'm Dave.

There is no reason why anything should 'blow' just because the mains has shut off and on.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    There is no reason why anything should 'blow' just because the mains has shut off and on.
    Unless (with some amps) you were listening at high volume and forgot to switch the amp off when the power cut out. When the power returns, it might take out a speaker drive unit.

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

This will probably make some folks cringe; but, I actually have my valve preamps plugged into a surge protector, then into a UPS for gear preservation. There are too many brown outs (and fast black outs) 'round here. I no longer make a mad dash for the gear when the lights flicker, or worse... ...dim... and remain, dimmed. I'm planning on getting another one for the sources. Only the power amp will plug into a surge and bypass a battery backup. I don't really hear any additional noise; but, even if I did, I would try strategically placing ferrite blocks first. This way I don't have to visit my electric service to show my appreciation.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

+ Reply to Thread