+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Optical Cable Recommendations

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    Can't beat a Toslink cable with gold plated connections
    I used to hawk one of those around - looked fancy though

CPC have a great range of various wires which end up on ebay for over twice the price plus P&P. I haven't a cluse how good the fibre inside is in practice, but the prices are very reasonable for a chunky well wrapped one (helps against breakage)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Deleted.

Whenever I have compared optical to coax I have always preferred the coax option.
    Account Deleted

I'm John.

Default best way to connect a dac to PC

i've just seen this thread. Like Marco, I too would be very interested if anyone has compared toslink to coax in a real world blind test. I'm currently trying to work out the best way to connect my DAC to a PC sound source. It seems there's a consensus that on paper coax is better, BUT i've noticed that using coax also introduces a very small amount of ground hum. It's inaudible at normal listeing levels- but it's a niggle because I know it's there! So i may be in the market for one of Mr Beresford's toslink cables. Before i take the plunge though i'd be really interested in hearing from others with PC/ DAC setups, or even from Stan himself given he sells both coax and toslink cable's and is an expert in DAC design. Cheers all and happy thursday! John
    John Caulfield
    | Technics SL1210 Mk2 | KAB PSU | Rega 251| Grado Black Cartridge | Isokinetik re-wire | Isokinetik Isostub and weight | Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE | Arcam AVR600 | Home built HTPC | Panasonic PTAE1000 projector | Schiit Bifrost DAC | Heybrook Sextet speakers | Little Dot Mk III pre amp |

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by johncaul View Post
    i've just seen this thread. Like Marco, I too would be very interested if anyone has compared toslink to coax in a real world blind test. I'm currently trying to work out the best way to connect my DAC to a PC sound source. It seems there's a consensus that on paper coax is better, BUT i've noticed that using coax also introduces a very small amount of ground hum. It's inaudible at normal listeing levels- but it's a niggle because I know it's there! So i may be in the market for one of Mr Beresford's toslink cables. Before i take the plunge though i'd be really interested in hearing from others with PC/ DAC setups, or even from Stan himself given he sells both coax and toslink cable's and is an expert in DAC design. Cheers all and happy thursday! John
    The assumption that the conduit necessarily dictates the better quality of transfer rather than the receivers at BOTH ends of the conduit, is questionable unless precisely the same setup is used by the reviewer and the reader.

Some motherboards seem to perform better one way than another, and even one model may have differences.
    In my own case the mobo optical is not so good as a separate usb to optical converter, and this is in turn bettered by coaxial out from the same converter FOR THE EQUIPMENT AND CABLES USED.
    When a DAC was fed with the optical and coax from the converter with analogue out to the amp, the same result, but the DAC was showing a slight improvement on the DAC in the receiver in both instances.

Trialling both in your own setup is the only sure way I am afraid. There are more than only 2 variables.

As to the hum, try moving cables around or switching/re-terminating the coax cable.

I'm John.

excellent, thanks for the detailed response bobbasrah. As in all things in life it seems there are no easy answers! Have you tried different sound cards? I have always assumed that given there is no conversion of the digital stream until it hits the DAC that an internal SC would do. Now i'm not so sure- particualrly given the hum- maybe a new SC would help solve it? Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll try a couple of side by side comparisons and report back

Cheers all.
    John Caulfield
    | Technics SL1210 Mk2 | KAB PSU | Rega 251| Grado Black Cartridge | Isokinetik re-wire | Isokinetik Isostub and weight | Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE | Arcam AVR600 | Home built HTPC | Panasonic PTAE1000 projector | Schiit Bifrost DAC | Heybrook Sextet speakers | Little Dot Mk III pre amp |

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by johncaul View Post
    excellent, thanks for the detailed response bobbasrah. As in all things in life it seems there are no easy answers! Have you tried different sound cards? I have always assumed that given there is no conversion of the digital stream until it hits the DAC that an internal SC would do. Now i'm not so sure- particualrly given the hum- maybe a new SC would help solve it? Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll try a couple of side by side comparisons and report back

Cheers all.
    No worries John, or should I use the johncaul handle..... We all have to learn...
    I suggest you do a bit of googling to understand the concepts a little more clearly and http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/ might help you on this journey.

A Soundcard is a DAC by the way
    Bob
    Bob
    Echoey innit

I'm John.

so I tried some side by side comparisons using a Cambridge spdif coax and a toslink from Stan Beresford (not double blind- sorry Werner! ). I used music types across the board and different formats varying from Linn high res downloads to ripped CDs. My view is the toslink sounds better, the dynamics are better, instruments have better definition and are placed more accurately in the sound stage. I can't help thinking coax cables allow all sorts of electronic muck from the pc into the DAC. Incidentally Stan Beresford recommended toslink for computer audio, but then again the designers at Schiit (I own a bifrost) recomend coax! I wonder if toslink has a poor reputation because the cables are much cheaper than high end coax... Anyway, this article is pretty interesting: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/toslink/toslink.html

Cheers
    John
    John Caulfield

I'm Vladimir.

Quote Originally Posted by goraman View Post
    I would only use glass as the polly plastic core ones turn yellow and loose clarity in a couple of years.
    Here is where I got mine before I knew Mark Grant carried them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3-ft-GLASS...ht_1673wt_1139

I have used the polished plastic ones SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET GLASS.
    Or replace the plastic one every year or two.

+ 100! Excellent recommendation as I use same cable from my CDP to DAC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123