+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Rega RB 300 heavy counterweight out there?

I'm John.

Default Best Rega RB 300 heavy counterweight out there?

Hey all,

Just bought a Vyger Timor t/t with a Rega RB 300 arm; the arm has the Rega standard c/w and it was an absolute nightmare setting it up with my rather heavy (10g) Ortofon Kontrapunkt C cartridge. I had to add two further "slivers" on the cw (with blue tac) to get things going as a temporary solution but will need a new "heavy" c/w soon. Been looking at the Origin Live, the Michell, and the Clearaudio turbo-weight. Any thoughts/recommendations?
    Cheers.

I'm phil.

hi
    Ive had a few of these over the years, coming from the pro rega camp. In my opinion the Michell is the best by some distance. If your a keen DIYer and want to take your arm even futher down the preformance line I suggest stripping it back to bare metal.

I'm John.

Hi Phil and thanks for your reply; I'm afraid I'm not that handy so I will keep it down to the basics. The Michell also comes with a replacement rear stub - screw on, right? Is that worth it as well?
    Cheers

I'm Mike.

I've seen an Audio Origami counter-weight. Looks fantastic and he makes them to fit the arm they are going onto. I'll be getting one when I have the cash.

I'm phil.

yes id recomend the whole kit which has:- the stub, a 3g-6g and a 6g-13g weights.

I'm Dave.

Having tried several of these things over the years I would recommend either a Rega heavy c/weight as you already have the metal stub or a Michell Tecnoweight.

I'm paul.

I boughtb a Rega tungsten 108gm weight of the bay the other day,I then discovered my existing weight was a 99 gm tungsten weight,cant say that the extra 9 gms has made any difference.
    Bass Plonker

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Rega used to make a special heavy version of the tungsten counterweight. Rather than ask us and get 101 different recommendations, why not ask Rega directly? Anyone would think they know nothing about the products they make

Sorry, the Michell weight certainly looks the business, but seriously, see if Rega still make the heavier tungsten option. The larger diameter stainless steel weight was a cost cutting option I think, but didn't affect the sonics, so a good move for them.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm John.

Thank you all for your feedback; for some reason, I never really thought of Rega doh: as I was under the impression they had discontinued them. That was the idea I got from their distributor here.

I'm John.

Which makes me want to fume as they seem to readily available EVERYWHERE else and at very keen prices. So for the Ortofon Kontrapunkt C, 10gr and with a tracking force of 2.5 which one of the Rega Tungsten cw/s' should I go for? I will be ordering it through the net.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast