+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Coil high or low?

I'm Alan.

Default Moving Coil high or low?

Are there advantages/disadvantages in high or low output MC cartridges?

The high output Dynavector 10X5 through my Spectral pre-amp has been wonderful so far.

I'm currently using a low output Ortofon MC 30 Super, which I previously thought was a bit bland until I put it through the Albarry MCA 11 phono stage, now it's a fantastic cartridge.

So is it better to use a high output into the MM stage of a pre-amp or a low output through a phono stage? ( I don't know the technical difference between a step up transformer, head-amp or phono stage).

I fancy a Micro Benz Glider or a DV 20X or maybe a Shelter, a lot is said about all 3.

regards Al
    Last edited by trio leo; 24-02-2012 at 15:02.

I'm Alexey.

Quote Originally Posted by trio leo View Post
    Are there advantages/disadvantages in high or low output MC cartridges?

The high output Dynavector 10X5 through my Spectral pre-amp has been wonderful so far.

I'm currently using a low output Ortofon MC 30 Super, which I previously thought was a bit bland until I put it through the Albarry MCA 11 phono stage, now it's a fantastic cartridge.

So is it better to use a high output into the MM stage of a pre-amp or a low output through a phono stage? ( I don't know the technical difference between a step up transformer, head-amp or phono stage).

I fancy a Micro Benz Glider or a DV 20X or maybe a Shelter, a lot is said about all 3.

regards Al
    I believe you've chosen the wrong folder for the topic.
    Please move it here:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    Alex

My system:
    Source: Technics SL 1200 mk2, Jelco 750D tonearm, MN Bearing, Isonoe's, benz-micro ace sl MC cart, JELCO JAC-502 Tonearm Cable, 5mm Achromat; MacMini, Cary Xciter DAC, M2Tech HiFace Evo, M2Tech Clock.
    Amplification: Quad QC 24 pre; Quad QC 24P phono; Plinius SA-103 amp.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth Super HL5.

MartinT Guest

Moved.

MartinT Guest

The benefit of a low output MC is that the moving parts - the coils - have fewer windings and therefore a lower moving mass so they can respond better to the dynamics of the groove. The downside is, of course, the very tiny output from them.

I love MCs of all types, but with my deck's resolving power my cartridge of choice now is a low output MC through a step-up transformer.

I'm Hugo.

Low output moving coils can sound wonderful through a good step up transformer, into a MM phono amp; however as you have found out, high output MCs can sound great too! So, as ever in this hobby, YMMV.

I used to have a Benz Glider SL until I snapped its cantilever off with my sleeve. Leaving aside its vulnerable design, this is a lovely cartridge that worked really well with my Bob's Devices SUT. On one memorable occasion, it was played through an Audio Note S9 SUT, which should not have worked, but the results were stunning (I should add that the S9 retails at £13k). Against most electronic design logic, SUTs seem to be able to get the very best out of low output MCs, compared with active MC head amps, but a good SUT is certainly not cheap. At least high output MCs avoid that cost.

If I were you, however, I'd stick with what works well, but maybe consider a high output Benz (the Glider and Wood are available as High Output, but the cheaper Ace is said to be very good). I did recently buy a Dynavector DV-20 X2 as a replacement for the broken Glider, but it is not in the same league as the Benz - very low surface noise and secure tracking, but a bit dull. I've just taken delivery of a Benz Wood SL, which should be good.

I'm Dave.

On the very few occasions when I have had a high and a low o/p version of the same cartridge, I have always preferred the low output. They have sounded cleaner, airier and with greater prescence. I believe this due to the lower moving mass of the low o/p coils.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    On the very few occasions when I have had a high and a low o/p version of the same cartridge, I have always preferred the low output. They have sounded cleaner, airier and with greater prescence. I believe this due to the lower moving mass of the low o/p coils.
    Agreed - but the lower the output the more expensive the ancillaries. Just yesterday I listened to a Phase Tech P3, their lowest offering at around 1000 euros; At 0.24 mv, my pretty decent AA Aria VB phono had trouble driving it, so did a couple of phono pre-amps at double the price. And for some reason, no love lost between it and my heavily moded RB-300. It absolutely sang with a Triplanar tonearm, Nordost Frey tonearm cable and a 6000 euro phono pre-amp, but somehow, I think that widely defeated the point. Plenty of great cartridges around the 0.4-0.5 output mark that combine the best of both worlds.
    As per cartridge recommendation: Shelter (501 mk II) - one of the true bargains of the century.

I'm Simon.

I run a Benz LP at 0.2mv, it sounds very good into my modded Naim Prefix.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by vouk View Post
    Agreed - but the lower the output the more expensive the ancillaries. Just yesterday I listened to a Phase Tech P3, their lowest offering at around 1000 euros; At 0.24 mv, my pretty decent AA Aria VB phono had trouble driving it, so did a couple of phono pre-amps at double the price. And for some reason, no love lost between it and my heavily moded RB-300. It absolutely sang with a Triplanar tonearm, Nordost Frey tonearm cable and a 6000 euro phono pre-amp, but somehow, I think that widely defeated the point. Plenty of great cartridges around the 0.4-0.5 output mark that combine the best of both worlds.
    As per cartridge recommendation: Shelter (501 mk II) - one of the true bargains of the century.
    I can think of several phono stages which can work perfectly well with a 0.24 mV cartridge and at far less that cost.

Also, a MC with 04 - 0.5 mV output is still low output. High output MC's are more like 3-5 mV and it's these we are discussing.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I can think of several phono stages which can work perfectly well with a 0.24 mV cartridge and at far less that cost.

Also, a MC with 04 - 0.5 mV output is still low output. High output MC's are more like 3-5 mV and it's these we are discussing.
    I am sure there are several ones out there, but still at a cost that exceeds that of the cartridge.
    Quite a few manufacturers designate cartridges of 2.5mV or less as high output models - those between 1.0-0.5 mV as medium - so I guess it is a matter of individual perspective.
    The original post/question pertained to recommendations between a Benz Glider (high output: 2.5mV) and a Shelter. With the exception of the 201 (MM), no Shelter MC has a output of more than 0.5 mV; so the 3-5mV range seems to be out of the equation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast