+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sansui AU-517 and AU-719 restorations (lotsa pics!)

I'm Andrew.

Some nice work I only wish I could drop on a pair cheap enough to refurb
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

What about this one? Quite tempted myself, Martin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Excellent-...b#ht_500wt_922
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

I'm graham.

I was actually given a Sansui Tuner by a chap. I really didn't know what it was. But the second I hooked it up to my system I just knew it was something great. It is an old wood cased tuner and I have spent some time on the cosmetics and it looks good as new and sounds great.

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

Nice job Pete and great photos. I just love the look of Sansui kit from that classic era, amazing build quality
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    When changing the values of bypass caps or attempting multiple bypasses you really should scope them out for ringing, it's all to easy to over do it. They likely sound better because the old caps will have had much higher ESR due to their age.
    Ah, I see. My father is a tech/hobbyist (with an enormous Sansui collection... we hav around 55 units between us!) and he has all of the usual diagnostic instrumentation including a 'scope.

How would I go about measuring such 'ringing'... across the terminals of the filter caps or elsewhere in the circuit?

I've also been advised that I should try a resistor in series with the by-pass cap (in the order of 1-5 ohms). It seems counter-intuative to me, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try it. I need to read up on this a bit more methinks.
    ••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

I'm Pete.

One further tweak...

The original power cable was quite... erm... 'poxy'. Thin figure 8 twin-core as fitted as standard to US models. I decided to upgrade it using some Belden 19364 power cable with 3 x 14AWG conductors, 'belfoil' shielding and integral drain wire, and a nice (not too over-the-top) Martin Kaiser silver-plated AUS mains plug. Given the size of the cable (around 10.5mm diameter) the usual strain relief/cord grip wouldn't work, so Dad sourced me some nice Thomas and Betts heavy duty jobbies which worked perfectly. They are pretty big but you don't see the rear of the amp anyway.

Very happy with the end result, and the thin original cord is banished forever!

A HUGE thanks to David from mains-cables-r-us for his quality customer service. Highly recommended (as most of you on here already know )

I also made up some cables for my DAC and DI using Martin Kaiser IECs and AUS mains plugs, some heatshrink and some carbon-look Techflex.

••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

That should've given a massive sonic improvement, Pete, as that old power lead was pretty shit!

It's areas like that in audio where significant advances have been made since the Sansui was produced

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That should've given a massive sonic improvement, Pete, as that old power lead was pretty shit!

It's areas like that in audio where significant advances have been made since the Sansui was produced

Marco.
    Indeed Marco, first impressions are very promising. Of course, it's damn near impossible to do a A/B comparison once this kind of tweak has been undertaken, but even at low levels there is the impression that the music sounds a bit clearer and unstressed. Whatever it is, I like it!

Now to get my brother-in-law to visit (he's an electrician) and install that dedicated power line that I've been hankering for!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Pete, and you've hard-wired the cable too, which is good!

I've always loved high-end Sansui (and Onkyo) kit, as it's generally a cut above most other Jap gear

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Pete, and you've hard-wired the cable too, which is good!

I've always loved high-end Sansui (and Onkyo) kit, as it's generally a cut above most other Jap gear

Marco.
    Funny you should mention that... the temptation was MIGHTY strong to remove the IEC connector from the rear of the DAC19, install a little smoked perspex blanking plate and mains cord grommet, and wire the Belden straight into the unit itself. I may yet do this as the DAC19 is knocking my socks off and I can't see myself selling it any time soon. It is easily reversible anyway.

I'm a BIG Sansui fanboy... my father and I have a collection of around 60 units between us nowadays. Some of their gear sounds pretty damn decent (AU-517, 717, 719, 819, 919, AU-D11, AUD11 II, and the later AU alpha stuff. The big dedicated preamps and power amp models obviously speak for themselves.

The Japanese market saw some quite exotic Sansui gear never destined for overseas markets. Some of it is truly high-end stuff!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast