• 8 - Really very good - I'll buy this for sure

2 11.76%
  • 9 - Excellent

7 41.18%
  • 10 - A masterpiece

4 23.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club: 21.02.2012: Joni Mitchell - Hejira (1976) (Vinyl, CD)

I'm Neil.

I have this so I will have a listen and report back latter.

Regards D S D L

I'm Neil.

Ok

I have listened twice and being honest this is a very slow album, that has very little light and shade re style of the songs; they are very samey.

The words are lovely and at times the music is beautiful, delicate and haunting but its too similar throughout imho.

I prefer her latter albums and agree re some of her other albums just after this one and before being better.

I give this a 5 out of 5.

Regards D S D L

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well, I have just played my vinyl copy: a German pressing using stampers A3/B4 (with the initials "RME" scratched on Side 1).

Can't really say I can hear any difference in sound quality between the vinyl and the CD version. If you want a 'fat' or full-bodied sound - turn it up!

Still 9/10.
    I've got 2 copies on vinyl - one a UK pressing (K53053 A1/B1 with 'AL' scratched in the dead wax), the other a German one (AS53053 A3/B2 with 'RME' scratched in the dead wax) - and one CD (253053/1087-2). The German LP and the CD are fairly similar, but the UK LP sounds better to me - less bright and a 'fuller' sound.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Barry.

I've tried really hard in the past to like Joni but there is nothing that I can latch on to. Same again with this album, I feel really mean just giving such a big star 2/10.

I'm John.

I really like this. probably my favourite Joni album. It's just got something.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

hmmm, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive so I can give it a proper listen before scoring it and not just a Spotify spin. I must chase up Amazon I think....
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

It finally got here today and I have just finished listening to it properly ..... beautiful and I don't know how this slipped through the net, so thanks Keith. The first Joni album I bought was The Hissing of Summer Lawns when it was released (I think I heard it at a Linn demo) and it was my favourite album of hers for sometime, but this I can tell is going to be played a lot over the next few days - there's some gorgeous bass in there and it's extremely well recorded too. I have just popped it on again for another listen

A wonderful album and since hearing it properly it goes from my provisional score of 8 to 9/10
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

I used to have the Laserdisc of Shadows and Light so I know the music and accompanying visuals very well. I dug out my vinyl copy (German A3/B4) and played it just now and it was like listening to an old friend. She plays the songs like an extended story-telling, very stream-of-consciousness and subtle, with some really emotive guitar playing. One of the best albums she has made. 9/10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12