• 8 - Really very good - I'll buy this for sure

2 11.76%
  • 9 - Excellent

7 41.18%
  • 10 - A masterpiece

4 23.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 21.02.2012: Joni Mitchell - Hejira (1976) (Vinyl, CD)

I'm Keith.

Default Album Club: 21.02.2012: Joni Mitchell - Hejira (1976) (Vinyl, CD)

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/3Z0qQc09rmk4JYtIaxEx2J

YouTube

1. Coyote http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMFQtnd0amc
    2. Amelia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcTDoi9JQiY
    3. Furry Sings The Blues
    4. A Strange Boy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiP8H_B3dOk
    5. Hejira http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sf_6Pqa2eE
    6. Song For Sharon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG0kNny3WlY
    7. Black Crow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV4D1hez-Lw
    8. Blue Motel Room http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-KbwLfAgbU
    9. Refuge of the Roads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mZErvdXVM

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hejira_%28album%29

My second Album Club choice is one of my favourite records of all time. I got into Joni Mitchell's music after seeing a BBC 'in concert' broadcast on TV in 1983 (I still have the cassette recording I made off the radio simulcast, now transferred to CD) and began buying all her back catalogue.

By this, her eighth album, Joni Mitchell's music had lost much of the 'folkiness' of her earlier work. Experimentation with Jazz and World music forms became evident on 'Court and Spark' and 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns', and the jazz influence is obvious on 'Hejira' - though it is by no means a 'jazz album'.

The title 'Hejira' is a corruption of the Arabic 'hijra', meaning 'a journey', and the road-weariness of travelling alone is a recurrent theme. The basis for these songs came whilst Mitchell was driving alone (without a driver's licence) across America, returning to California after hanging around Bob Dylan's 'Rolling Thunder Revue' tour in 1975.

Joni's unique guitar sound is to the fore on this record. Weakness in her hands, a legacy of childhood polio, made conventional guitar fingering difficult for her, so she developed her technique of devising many alternative tunings (and her own 'Joni Notation' for writing them down).

Lyrically, the songs on this album are just about as far from her early "moon and June and ferris wheels" as it is possible to get. In my opinion, some of the lyrics here are the most poetic and sophisticated examples in popular music.

A mention should also be made of the stellar supporting musicians on the album, notably bassist Jaco Pastorius and guitarist Larry Carlton.

So please listen without prejudice - regardless of whether you think it's going to be your cup of tea or not - and I look forward to your votes and comments.
    Last edited by keiths; 21-02-2012 at 01:36.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Nick.

What can I say, one of the LP's I would take to the desert island. Joni's guitar and lyrics, Jaco's bass. Whats not to like. I think the images that the lyrics of Amelia create are just stunning. If you find you like this, check out Shadows and Light which contain many of the songs in a live setting with a equally stunning line up of players.

Yep, I just love this record.
    Nick.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes, this is one of my favourite Joni Mitchell albums, but not my most favourite (that is reserved for her first recording: ‘Songs to Seagull’).

I’ve always had difficulty with Joni’s flirtation with jazz. It didn’t really work with her sympathetic tribute: ‘Mingus’, but on ‘Hejera’ the influence is a lot subtler.

Regarding Joni’s guitar style, she has her guitars tuned so she can play them open chord.

I’m not an admirer of Jaco Pastorius, but on this album his bass playing is restrained and controlled.

If it wasn’t for the all-pervasive ‘flanging’ I would give it 10/10. I’ll score it 9/10. (I listened to the CD version; I have a vinyl copy as well so may give that a spin to see if there is any discernable difference.)

Nice one Keith
    Barry

I'm Keith.

Thanks chaps. Yes, "Shadows and Light" is great - I got into Pat Metheny after hearing him on this. I sort of agree about the flanger getting over-used, but I just can't imaging hearing her guitar on these tracks without it.

I much prefer the vinyl - the CD sounds really thin and weedy compared to the LP (my CD is a really early one - I remember waiting ages for rthe CD release and being very disappointed).
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Paul.

Like most of Joni's albums Hejira is excellent. However it has never been a favourite of mine (I have em all on vinyl). Prefer Hissing of Summer Lawns before and the greatly underated Don Juan's Wreckless Daughter after it. Anyway gives me an excuse to give it another spin.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    I much prefer the vinyl - the CD sounds really thin and weedy compared to the LP (my CD is a really early one - I remember waiting ages for rthe CD release and being very disappointed).
    I find the recording rather thin sounding anyway and only realy decent on original vinyl. Later (german) reissues are rather bright and lack body of sound.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well, I have just played my vinyl copy: a German pressing using stampers A3/B4 (with the initials "RME" scratched on Side 1).

Can't really say I can hear any difference in sound quality between the vinyl and the CD version. If you want a 'fat' or full-bodied sound - turn it up!

Still 9/10.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

What else can I say? A truly breathtaking album and by a long way my fave from Joni, I have loved this album for years. I am struggling with the idea of a 10, but will deffo go for a 9!
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well I have to confess I only have 5 Joni Mitchell albums and this wasn't one of them........ however, after listening to this today that has been rectified and it's on the way - I love it and give it an 8 at the moment, but may want to change that after listening to it properly and not on Spotify.

Great choice
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ChrisB.

Like Barry, I struggle a bit with the more jazz influenced of her albums. I got rid of Mingus & one or two others a while back (& I love Mingus' own albums!)

I've always loved this one though, & despite knowing it inside out, I felt like I rediscovered it a little bit this evening by listening to it twice over.

If you come to this from hearing something like 'Blue' & expect to hear all those melodies, then you may be disappointed as 'Hejira' (& probably her previous album 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns') seems to be more about rhythms.

It's the lyrics that really grab you - some of the imagery is totally captivating & most of the songs could be seen as poetry set to music. Behind the subject of travel, road & fleeing from something, there's sort of a theme about some of the choices that many women have to make in their lives.

Sharon you've got a husband
    And a family and a farm
    I've got the apple of temptation
    And a diamond snake around my arm
    But you still have your music
    And I've still got my eyes on the land and the sky
    You sing for your friends and your family
    I'll walk green pastures by and by

A proper score from me! - 9/10.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 22-02-2012 at 00:39.

I'm Simon.

Well I really don't like Joni Mitchell (sorry). I've only got blue by her and I'm pretty sure I only bought that as it was a posh pressing going cheap in Fopp. I've listened to it a few times but I've never connected with it.

I've heard this album a few times as I've got a couple of mates who are big Joni fans and insist on playing their stuff whenever I go round.

I'm still not keen on it but I have to say listening on my own it's not that bad. the music is good and I can understand her skill as a songwriter but there's just something missing for me, something that really stops me enjoying it. Can't put my finger on it but it gets a 6 from me. I may well end up giving it another listen over the weekend though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast