+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DNM speaker cable

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Cheers Ali.

Seems to be just you... DNM looks like a first for AOS too, nothing in the serch results.

Tellurium Q Black looks and sounds like the business but the price puts me off slightly.

I hear what your saying but can single conductor cables really hold much difference? I would say stranded designs have more going for them regarding the technical/sonics debate.
    Well I've used heavy gauge copper cable in the past on my OB's. They are run actively so I have two runs to each speaker. One set runs the Eminence Alphas which are set to top out at 200hz. From there up the other run feeds the Visaton B200. I found the stranded stuff ok on the B200's, but found I got a slow and muffled bass, lacking in detail. Changing to smaller gauge or other types really helped in this regard. When I tried the Tellurium stuff my immediate impression was that it was lacking at the top and bottom, but when you listen further, you realise it's just giving a more accurate sound. At least that's the way it sounded to me. If the price puts you off a little, I'd give the DNM a go, it's very good IMHO.

I'm tony.

depends how you like your distortion.....I have black and blue, making the change just removes colouration..you know its right when you hear it....or dont!!!

I'm Jay.

I have some of the DNM but not installed yet (still in the throes of the move). I've used 12 and 14ga mains wire, solid core, and found it to be much better than any budget stranded wire, but not quite as good as the flat wire I've been using up to the move (Xindak). The experience with Romex mains wire led me to consider DNM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Definitely not T&E. The cable I was referring to was lent to me by Be Yamamura, a good pal of mine from way back. He made amps, cables, x'mers and the like from lunatic materials that made Audionote look sane and inexpensive.

This particular cable was the purest copper possible and we had just enough of this single strand to make a pair of short speaker cables insulated with cotton bandage. I can't recall the trade cost but it was thousands back in the early 80's and was something that Be had developed along with Furukawa.

He also came up with another extremely pure copper, covered with a thin Polyurethane lacquer. We wound four of these, quite large diameter wires in star-quad formation and used them for speaker cable, incons and even digital incon. Absolutely stunning but it soon ran out, though I still have some for my own use and haven't found anything to approach it in all these years.
    He's still making new ones after all those years
    Jonathan.

I'm Dave.

I know. You can't keep a good man down..

I'm Mikkel.

I´ve used the DNM solid cores for a couple of years.

It´s quite special and does definitely not suit everyone.

In my opinion it does not match any speaker either. Looking for an "in phase" ultra fast sound, tight bottom, slightly organic and a rounded top - you got it, there´s DNM for you in a nutshell.

/Mikkel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12