+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Empirical/Metrum/JkennyHiface USB converters/DACS etc

I'm Neil.

Default Empirical/Metrum/JkennyHiface USB converters/DACS etc

I am looking at the pros and cons of the Empirical Off-Ramp 4 or 5 USB converter as well as the J Kenny modded Hiface USB converter or Audiophillio which I may use with a suitable DAC (thinking of NorthStar DAC 32, the Dutch Metrum Octave (no upsampling) or the Aussie PDX or Blacknote (no upsampling)).

Has anybody had any experience of any of the above? I have waded through lots of stuff on the internet and it's been a fascinating journey.

An Off-Ramp 4 or 5 with added battery PSU plus a decent DAC would seem to be a good option. Anybody who has any of the above who wishes to move it on please also let me know!
    Last edited by Volante; 16-02-2012 at 18:55.
    Neil.

I'm Bob.

Neil - I've had a Metrum Octave for around a month now and am really pleased with it. I use it fed from a Squeezebox receiver at the moment, but will partner it with my Transporter (so it can work at higher resolution) soon.

It's a noticeable improvement on the DAC I used previously (a Sonifex Redbook DAC1), giving a wider and deeper image, well controlled bass with detailed treble with no glare. Definitely one I'll hang on to . .

Bob

I'm John.

Phew, it's stopped sounding like a record player then.
    I must admit, i am rather interested in this Dac and as soon as next weeks pension gets issued and i get a chance to mug some of the less able in the queue I'll think about getting one.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm ILOB.

The JKHIface is very good and the DAC (JK32) is stunning
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Keith.

Really best not to use a converter at all, just get an async USB or FireWire dac.
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Phew, it's stopped sounding like a record player then.
    I must admit, i am rather interested in this Dac and as soon as next weeks pension gets issued and i get a chance to mug some of the less able in the queue I'll think about getting one.
    Have a look here, John . .

I'm John.

I had a look a while ago Bob.

I'm interested because they've used an unusual chip and I know someone else who has one, which I haven't got to hear yet, and he thinks very highly of it, especially at the price.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm andrew.

I was an early adopter of John Kennys modified Hiface and can recommend it.
    It was a huge improvement over the std Hiface and I should think the latest version is even better.
    The Empirical Offramp seems overpriced in comparison.
    Why not take Johns offer of a free trial and see for yourself?
    But as Keith says if you have not already got a dac then get a decent dac with a good async usb interface.
    ps look for ones with the XMOS USB2
    Andy.

+ Reply to Thread