+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: AOS Exclusive Review of Eco-Fan Sound Pre-Amp and Power Amp

I'm Neil.

Default Ecofan

Hi Dave

Firstly, no, these are not new products as such. Murray has been producing his core items for quite awhile, with some new items (the Boost it and Buffer it, being new). My understanding is that Ecofan are not interested in the usual business model(distribution). Murray prefers to deal with his customers direct. The sad fact is if he ever went down the traditional model the extra costs would ruin the value for pound factor. The costs involved in doing distribution from the New Zealand/Australian zone are much higher than from Europe or perhaps even the States. If AOS readers want to deal with Murray I suggest they contact him direct(mentioning Francis and myself as the/a source for your interest, and the AOS review). However you may have to wait as Murray builds the units himself by hand and building amps is not his main source of income as he is an audio repair man. Thus he builds an item every so often. You may find he has what you want built, but more than likely you will have to commission it and wait a little while.

If Murray were ever to opt for the distribution model, there are those all ready waiting, in hope he might change his mind (going by what Francis has told me) to take his products on. However snow balls in hell, would have more chance, as I can't see him compromising this way.

Regards D S D L----Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 21-01-2009 at 09:21.
    Regards Neil

Its hard to understand the purity of these amps without hearing ,they use all bog standard parts ,Mains transformer ,output transformers,chokes ,are all wound by Murray himself ,the power amp uses valve rectification, (the two in front of the mains transformer) if you were a little short on cash you could buy the valves for this amp for very little , the signal is dc coupled .this amp can be built in the 2a3 version or using px4 valves.

I'm Adam.

Default ecofan in stephenred's front room

have a look in the 'coral project' folder at this link

http://picasaweb.google.com/arustyrednail/

see stephenred's lounge featuring the mighty ecofan 6A3 amp and boost-it running tannoy 12" hpd's

later, a

I'm Neil.

Thanks for the link Adam.

How is everyone down in NZ ? Keeping well I hope.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Adam.

Default autumn under way down under

hi,

first southerly flow from the antarctic, bringing clear blue skies alternating with hail and thunder...

will be sending murray indoors to do some equipment building i hope...

have a couple of small stereo amps and a couple of 12w sv-811-10's ready for assembly, transformers wound, chassis prepped - but like the seasons, murray moves at his own natural pace,

greetings to our audio brethren in the north,

regards, a

Default Exposing my Shame

Hi- thanks for showing the world my scruffy lounge Adam! However, the 6A3 Ecofan does sound outstanding with the Tannoys. However, the Boost It is there for computer sound- while you gain gain (!) after the AS Pro Passion pre there is a slight loss in ultimate purity from a standard CD source such as my trusty CD7. I am using the Ecofan buffer in my study this week with a Marantz DR17, Accuphase E-301 integrated and 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5As. Listening to an old Allman Brothers live album at the moment....the buffer really adds to the sound. Suddenly, you are not listening to solid state.
    Since Wednesday when Adam last came round I have converted my system to the other extreme for a bit of rock over the holiday weekend with monolithic JBL 4344s biamped through the BSS FDS360 active crossover driven by the 350watt Jeff Rowland Model 7s on the 15" woofers and the hybrid 120 watt class A Lewitts on the mid and top. They are another rare and wonderful NZ amp whose maker possibly exceeds Murray Dick in brilliance, outright eccentricity and eremitic characteristics- but it's a close call. The Lewitts have SE triode front ends, mosfet power stages, massive hand wound transformers and zero feedback. They overpower the Tannoys but give the JBL mid and top end real life. Combined with the Rowlands we get SPL levels that are dangerous and probably illegal. When this system is cranked up the neighbourhood browns out.
    The big challenge for Adam and I now is to get Murray focussed on the SV811-10 monos- they should have that extra degree of OOMPH for the 12" Tannoys (best allround speaker I've had) and be brilliant for the 15" Golds if I can ever work out how to build GRF Pro cabinets. Heard some the other night and must have a pair.
    Is this audio business never finished?
    Also, just bought another eccentric amp which should arrive next week - a Radford TT100 which was Arthur's swansong design, a hybrid with solid state front end and KT88s on the business end.

I'm Neil.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the updates...

Yes Adam keep Murray building.....

You have a very interesting collection of kit stephenred.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Looks like i had better get some more amps built! Some of the 5w type 6A3 amps coming shortly. A couple of the SV-811-1 ones also are go. One, and probably both are taken though i think. I am looking forward to hearing them myself! I'd in fact like to keep one i think. Only two chassis for those i have. Five of the 6A3 ones. New headphone amp on the bench. One channel lashup has impressed. Been bludging as usual during Summer. Also big fun shaking up the world of men's fashion on www.skirtcafe.org!(see "Jack Track"). The SV-811-10 amps are same circuit as the 6A3 ones. A new phono preamp which should do low output moving coils is "on the drawingboard" Jack.
    Last edited by Jack Williams; 17-05-2009 at 06:52. Reason: Accidentally stopped!

Default SV-811-10 amps

These amps are not monoblocks, but bigger same looking amps as th 6A3 ones. Jack.

I'm Neil.

Glad to hear it....sadly now being out of work I wont be able to buy one of the 6A3's or any Ecofan Sound product. If I was still in work I would not hesitate to get the amplifier and the new pre-amplifier. My personal circumstances have changed but my opinion on the 6A3 haven't; in fact if anything they have grown stronger, as I still have to hear anything which can compete in regards to purity of sound and as Murray say "thereness" I am not saying it doesn't exist, I just still have to hear it.

Keep up the good work Jack,Adam and Murray.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast