+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speaker cables, again! QED79 vs the world!

I'm Pedro.

Default Speaker cables, again! QED79 vs the world!

Hi there!

I am currently using QED Classic 79 Strand speaker cable and I really feel this is the weakest link in all my system. I am thinking of changing, but with the lower budget available. On the other hand, I have never had the chance to try exotic speaker cables, which by the way, Rega recommends not to use, so frankly I will not say that I am a non believer, nor that I am a believer, just speaker cable agnostic.

So, my first choice currently is Van Damme, cheap and good. But can't decide whether to try the Blue studio version or the UP-LCOFC HiFi transparent. Is there any difference between the two or is it just the color? They are practically the same price. Has anyone actually compared any of these with the QED?

Now, the main question is if has anyone compared the Classic 79 Strand with any of these (or these between themselves) and what were your opinion or which did you prefer? Placed in price per meter order:

VAN DAMME BLUE 4,0mm
    VAN DAMME HIFI UP-LCOFC 4,0mm
    SOMMERCABLE MAGELLAN 240
    SOMMERCABLE ORBIT 240
    GOTHAM SPK 2x4,0mm
    STERLING BLACK MAMBA
    CHORD ODYSSEY
    MOGAMI 2972
    MOGAMI 3103
    NAIM NACA5
    CHORD EPIC

These last few, unless I find them used for cheap, they're reference only. I'd like to spend under £5/meter.

By the way, I know you really like the Arrow cable around here, but the guy selling this only sells it to the UK, so no point recommending it.

Also, does anyone know where to get the MOGAMI cable? All I find is above €13/m, I am sure it is much cheaper than this...
    Last edited by Fulci; 13-02-2012 at 17:57.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulci View Post
    Hi there!

I am currently using QED Classic 79 Strand speaker cable and I really feel this is the weakest link in all my system. I am thinking of changing, but with the lower budget available. On the other hand, I have never had the chance to try exotic speaker cables, which by the way, Rega recommends not to use, so frankly I will not say that I am a non believer, nor that I am a believer, just speaker cable agnostic.

So, my first choice currently is Van Damme, cheap and good. But can't decide whether to try the Blue studio version or the UP-LCOFC HiFi transparent. They are practically the same price. Has anyone actually compared any of these with the QED?

Now, the main question is if has anyone compared the Classic 79 Strand with any of these (or these between themselves) and what were your opinion or which did you prefer? Placed in price per meter order:

VAN DAMME BLUE 2,5mm
    VAN DAMME HIFI UP-LCOFC 2,5mm
    SOMMERCABLE MERIDIAN 225
    SOMMERCABLE ORBIT 225
    STERLING BLACK MAMBA
    GOTHAM
    CHORD ODYSSEY
    MOGAMI 2972
    MOGAMI 3103
    CHORD EPIC

These last few, unless I find them used for cheap, they're reference only. I'd like to spend under £5/meter.

By the way, I know you really like the Arrow cable around here, but the guy selling this only sells it to the UK, so no point recommending it.

Also, does anyone know where to get the MOGAMI cable? All I find is above €13/m, I am sure it is much cheaper than this...
    Hi Pedro

I know many will not agree with me but I just did the sort of comparison you are thinking of see http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/s...t=15297&page=5 post number 47. I found that my cable very similar to QED 79 strand was just as good if not better than the much more expensive Chord Odyssey in this particular setup so I wouldn't automatically assume it is your weakest link. Trouble is it's vey difficult (?impossible) to try cables before you buy.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm fuckoff.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think mains cables r us allows you to try some items before paying for them, it might be worth having a word with David.

I'm Pedro.

Hi Stephen, thank you for your response.

That is the problem with speaker cables, so that's why there is not much problem getting the Van Damme or the Sommer cables for £3 per meter, it's just 5m needed, so not much of an expense, cheaper than a few beers, and can always sell the cable after used, unlike the beers. I will try this sometime soon. The problem is with the more expensive cables, there is no way I am spending over £50 in a pair of cables, just to see if they are any different from the QED.

Even £50 starts to seem odd, specially if everyone is hyping those Arrow for £3/m...

I'm Brian.

Hi Pedro , I have just recently worked my way up the Van Damme Blue speaker range . The 2.5mm is very good indeed. However , for a little extra the 4mm is even better , particularly the bass . There is more of it and it is cleaner. Just recently I installed the 6mm speaker cable and I have to say that for the price this is easily the best that I've heard. Just wish now that I'd gone straight for the 6mm and saved myself a couple of quid. The 6mm will be staying in my system , replacing a much more expensive cable , and I can heartily recommend any of these Van Damme cables.
    Brian.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3705774046...84.m1439.l2649
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3705774037...84.m1423.l2649
    Last edited by brian2957; 13-02-2012 at 17:15.

I'm Pedro.

Hi Brian!

Thank you for your opinion.
    So you think that for a 2.5m pair, 4mm would be beneficial and not overkill?
    What other cables have you used before and compared with?

I'm Brian.

Hi Pedro , I've used Kimber 4VS and 4TC, Belkin , Chord , Cable Talk , and in the early days QED 79 strand and a few others . Too many to mention in fact . You have to be aware that cables are very much system dependent so what works well in my system may not be so good in yours . The Van Damme speaker cable is a simple ,well made ,no-nonsense cable at a reasonable price which I feel I can recommend with confidence . The 4mm is IMO an excellent cable for the money. I hope you find a cable to suit your needs .
    Brian.

I'm Pedro.

The QED is not a bad cable. In fact it suits quite well. The thing is I have an old Audiolab 8000A with a pair of Rega RS3, which are both quite warm. The amplifier will have a recap soon, but I wanted to upgrade the cables first. Sometimes it does feel just a bit... dull... I want a cable that could add just a little more sparkle, just brighten it up a little, without using silver plated. And could do with a little more transparency too.

I will try the Van Damme, the Sommer and the Gotham, all for under £4/m and compare. But would like to hear members opinions on all these cables.
    Last edited by Fulci; 13-02-2012 at 19:25.

I'm Josie.

Give Chord Silver Screen a go.. I was very surprised. It's cheap and blows away plenty of others.

I'm not a fan of Chord generally but I found this cable to be a favorable choice.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread