+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm or 10mm t&e?

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Default 6mm or 10mm t&e?

Well it will soon be time for me to redecorate the lounge (getting it in the ear). As some of you may already know i will be fitting a dedicated mains supply for the system.
    I'm intending to place a new Consumer Unit next to the existing one via Henley blocks and run 8 runs of T&E to 8 single MK 13 amp unswitched sockets in the lounge, the distance from Consumer unit to sockets will be approx 5m's, would i be better off using just 6mm T&E or would there be a marked increase in SQ via 10mm over such a short length.

Look forward to your insights into this.

All work will be carried out by a qualified electrician.
    Charles

Acer Laptop/Foobar/WASAPI/S/PDIF/DacMagic/Mini T/Mission 754

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Two more question i should have placed in the original thread.
    Have any of you notice a difference in SQ with different makes of Consumer unit?

Would i be better using standard MCB's in the consumer unit or go for something like RCBO's for added protection?
    Last edited by Artifolk; 11-02-2012 at 07:53.
    Charles

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Charles,

If you give me until later on this evening, after the scheduled forum downtime, I'll give you my advice on this, as I've done much experimenting in this area!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

I used twin 30 amp screened cable for mine if my memory serves me and a separate earth fed through steel conduit; mainly in the hope that i could sneak into next doors garden one day and conceal an earth rod and cable somewhere.

The art is to get the electrician not to take the supply from the distribution board feeding your current consumer box but to take a new mains in from the leccy boards outside supply.

MK anything should be fine with the appropriate breaker.
    If you can persuade the electrician to sort out a single ground terminal buried somewhere not too dry in your garden this probably gives the best results. Not all electricians are happy doing this. You'll need to get your ground spike made up yourself if you are considering this. 1 metre x 20 mm solid copper rod should do it. Drill the appropriate sized hole in one end and side drill a row of three holes with tapped threads to grip the ground wire.
    If you can get the wire welded in so much the better.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Paul.

6mm will be ample for each run, the amp sockets you could use 10 but not really necessary. Good move, and as above, try to take the new supply from the meter, split via HB, then to 2x CU's. Be aware that all mcb's and rcbo's etc have a massive detrimental effect on SQ. I use Hager with a simple switch.
    Z:Axis Audio
    British made Cabling and High End Audio Support Systems and the New 'Symetrica' balanced Power Supply.

UK Distributor for Concert Fidelity Inc Japan & Aidas Audio Phono Cartridges
    UK supplier for: Z:Axis Audio; Concert Fidelity

Personal System:
    Mains - Symetrica by Z:Axis Audio - A game changer!
    CD Transport - Ayon CD-T2
    DAC - Ayon Stratos Refrence
    TT - Sony TTS 8000 /SAEC WE 506/30 / Aidas MC Cartridges
    Phonostage - RCM Audio Theriaa & Sensor2
    Pre - Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 & CLS050 Hybrid valve/SS ultra short signal path technology.
    Power - Concert Fidelity ZL-200 Mono's.
    Loudspeakers - Franco Serblin Ktema.
    Support System - Z:Axis Audio Grand Mirage 98.8
    Cabling - All our own; Z:Axis B52 Reference, Infinity Reference Digital, Livewire Loudspeaker & Xer0 Power Cabling.

Demonstration sessions welcome by appointment.

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If you give me until later on this evening, after the scheduled forum downtime, I'll give you my advice on this, as I've done much experimenting in this area!

Marco.
    Marco... waiting is no problem, i'm not starting work at present( two weeks time), so your input will be greatly received.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    If you can persuade the electrician to sort out a single ground terminal buried somewhere not too dry in your garden this probably gives the best results. Not all electricians are happy doing this. You'll need to get your ground spike made up yourself if you are considering this.
    I hadn't even thought about this. I best do some reading up.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-A View Post
    try to take the new supply from the meter, split via HB, then to 2x CU's.
    This is my initial installation idea, i should have been a little more graphic with my wording in my first post.
    Charles

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Artifolk View Post
    Well it will soon be time for me to redecorate the lounge (getting it in the ear). As some of you may already know i will be fitting a dedicated mains supply for the system.
    I'm intending to place a new Consumer Unit next to the existing one via Henley blocks and run 8 runs of T&E to 8 single MK 13 amp unswitched sockets in the lounge, the distance from Consumer unit to sockets will be approx 5m's, would i be better off using just 6mm T&E or would there be a marked increase in SQ via 10mm over such a short length.

Look forward to your insights into this.

All work will be carried out by a qualified electrician.
    Hi Charles
    Have you considered installing a balanced mains supply at the same time as the rewire? Significant SQ benefits to be gained here for not a lot of dollar - see this thread http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/s...balanced+mains

Best of luck

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Hi Charles
    Have you considered installing a balanced mains supply at the same time as the rewire? Significant SQ benefits to be gained here for not a lot of dollar
    I may look into this later but at the moment this is not my main priority, but out of interest where in the circuit would i place the Balance transformer, between the HB's and new consumer unit or after the consumer unit?
    Charles

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Artifolk View Post
    I may look into this later but at the moment this is not my main priority, but out of interest where in the circuit would i place the Balance transformer, between the HB's and new consumer unit or after the consumer unit?
    Between the consumer unit and your outlet sockets.
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Paul.

Would I be better off using just 6mm T&E or would there be a marked increase in SQ via 10mm over such a short length.
    You will struggle to terminate 10mm2 into the sockets,not designed for that size I am afraid.
    6mm2 will carry more than enough current for your needs and be cheaper to boot!
    Arcam A38 phono amp
    Arcam P85 power amp
    Arcam CD17
    Arcam D33
    Project Genie 3 Turntable/2M Blue
    Arcam DT 91 DAB/FM Tuner
    Monitor Audio GX200speakers

Soundstyle 5 Support Rack
    Atlas Equator Integra IC,s
    Chord Carnival Silverscreen Speaker cable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast