+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cartridge ideas?

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Richard , how about finding a Technics 205 mk2 or 3 , maybe around £90 + a Jico stylus and this should be a perfect partner for the Techy ?
    Hi Chris - funnily enough Richard let me hear one when he popped up a few weeks ago. Was a very sweet'n'smooth performer in the 1210 - very low output though (for an MM).

I'd scour the www - although I'd expect they're quite rare.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Hi Chris - funnily enough Richard let me hear one when he popped up a few weeks ago. Was a very sweet'n'smooth performer in the 1210 - very low output though (for an MM).

I'd scour the www - although I'd expect they're quite rare.
    They do come up for sale , one sold last year for £92 , bear in mind the cost of a Jico SAS though ! But a lovely cartridge , glad I persevered with the Precept as I really like it now , he did say it was one of AT's finest mm's .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Mark.

There's a V15 III and a IV on ebay with MR tips. The MR tips are quite good imo.
    Or do you fancy a change from Shure?
    Mark

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingdong View Post
    There's a V15 III and a IV on ebay with MR tips. The MR tips are quite good imo.
    Or do you fancy a change from Shure?
    The MR tips are really excellent and the SAS is the only replacement I'd go for.

Of the two models, I'd probably suggest the V15 III (or a II without stylus plus an SAS in Richard's case) as I mentioned before, since the II SAS should be more like a "blue-printed" M75-ED (SAS) model..

I must admit to being a sort of closet ADC XLM fan. The XLM III, ZLM and Phase 4 models are really good, quite sweet toned and generally track well. However, the V15's do have a greater sense of "precision," especially once the diamond is improved to MR or SAS levels...

Taking the ADC's further, good and bad, there seem to be a few Sonus Gold-Blue's left for £86 or so on eBay. Steve (Worrasf) has one and really rates it, but they do exhibit an ultrasonic peak which the phono stage will need to safely handle without further ringing. Excellent mids and clean bass though

One final one, but seemingly no nos ones left, and that's the Ortofon M20 series (not the Dual M20, which is a VMS20 in slight disguise I think). The M20E Super is lively and extremely involving, lacking the bass thickness the M15 and VMS models can have in some systems. I'd personally put the lower compliance M20 FL Super among the classic greats - REALLY excellent diamond, low to medium compliance allowing 1.5g tracking and very neutral sound of the best kind - natural tones without damping all the space and depth out...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mark.

This is the one I speak of.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1306457795...84.m1423.l2649

Dave may be able to tell you if it is a proper MR tip and not a replacement.
    Mark

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The HE had a red stylus and this was a clear improvement on the elliptical nail originally fited to the Mk3 (sold and heard a couple of IIIHE's). Unless you try it, it's going to be difficult to know how good the diamond on this is still, so try to keep future funds around for an SAS tip. I'm afraid I never heard the MR tip on a V15 III, so can't confirm the stylus colour, but if it's anything like the end-of-side definition of the V15 VMR, it'll be fantastic.

P.S. The VN35MR was also red colour
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Buffet-blower.

Decisions, decisions...

I'm being too careful now - trying not to buy something like a DL110 or 2M Blue is proving somewhat tricky. For me it's like buying a Ford Focus, realising it's a perfectly good car, but really wanting something like an old Alfa Romeo. Because my turntable's not been delivering the goods very well recently, I'm actually quite fearful of making it sound worse with the wrong choice of cartirdge.

Wondering if I should just bit the bullet, play safe and go for the 2M.

Oh...and Scalford's getting nearer and nearer and I still have no needle in me Tecchy.
    Richard.

Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a rush and have just come to this thread, so have just skimmed quickly through it...

Richard, is the 2M you're thinking of buying a black? If not, I don't think you'd like any of the other Ortofon MMs, as they're all rather 'modern sounding', in a bad sense, and lack the effortless musicality and 'meat on the bone' you prefer (as do I).

Before you commit yourself to buying anything, would you like to borrow my Pickering XV15-625E? It suits the stock Techy arm perfectly and has a sound I think you would love!

I could even fit it onto a nice spare headshell I've got, so you could do quick(ish) swaps between it and the other cartridges you've got for comparison.

Just shout 'Yo!' if yer fancies a play (for as long as you like)...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Hey Marco that would be awesome - thank you.

I've umm'd and ahhh'd over this for ages now; if I'd got a new arm (750D) on the horizon I'd just go for something much more serious cartridge-wise (most likely get Dom to re-tip the tired 103R a friend has let me borrow) but I've had to restrict myself to high output/MM types with a sub-£200 budget. It's made making a choice decidedly tricky!

Front runner has probably been the M97XE - not because it's perhaps that great a cartridge out of the box, but that those clever little chaps at Jico do their wonderful tip for it. Still, it's available for under 70 quid (the Shure, not the SAS obviously!) so in some ways what's to lose?

I have had the DL110 working very sweetly before, and when set up carefully it pushed aside some surprisingly expensive cartridges (Audio Note IQ3 being one). It's just that the Denon is a 'been there done that' cartridge for me...and it doesn't really appeal to my left-field way of doing things.
    Richard.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ok, dude, I'll mount it up in a headshell, over the weekend, and pop it in the post to you on Monday

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast