+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thread rating buttons

I'm Alex.

Default Thread rating buttons

Hi All,

I thought that it might be good to introduce thread voting buttons to allow users to rate the content of a thread - something like 'thumbs up', 'thumbs neutral', 'thumbs down'.

I don't mind wading through lots of discussion about whether cables make a difference, pub chat, and boring waffle about flac vs. wav etc, but it would be handy if users could vote up threads with good new info, tips, answers, or other interesting content.

Dogmatic squabbles could rate a 'thumbs down' (or up depending on your views )

What do you think?

Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Nick.

Thanks for The suggestion Alex. That kind of thumbs up thumbs down / thanks functionality isn't built into the forum software unfortunately. It's the kind of stuff you get via a plugin or modification - something to bear in mind definitely but not something currently dormant that can be switched on that easily...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Alex.

Nick,

Thanks - shame.. I thought it was in Vbulletin.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Nick.

It's not 'stock' functionality Alex, you can buy mods to add it, which is why you'll have seen it on some other sites that run VB...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Having given this suggestion a bit of thought, I have to confess that overall I am not very keen on the idea.

I assume Alex’s suggestion was to deter ‘trolling’ and prevent those annoying circulus in probando threads, which always get locked long after everyone has lost interest. Fortunately no trolling seems to occur within AoS, and the Moderators are usually quick to spot circular arguments and act appropriately. As a means to home in on a particularly useful and interesting topic of discussion a rating system might have some use.

But how is the rating supposed to work and to what/whom would it be applied? Would it be applied to the initial poster, to the content and interest shown in his post? Would it be applied to the usefulness and helpful nature, or otherwise, of subsequent replies? And would it be cumulative: like eBay feedback it might take just one ‘thumbs down’ from a reader to spoil what many might think was a useful item.

I think that a rating scheme could deter members from ‘having a go’: they may feel they are asking a ‘naïve’ question; they may be worried about their command of grammar, spelling and general writing style. A rating system would be a bit like having one’s school homework marked. It might make everyone else feel as though they have to be on their best behaviour: light-hearted, good-natured banter and ‘joshing’ is what makes AoS the friendly forum it is.

AoS is a community and I think conditions should be left as they are so that everyone feels free to ask questions, make comments and give advice. Furthermore I think that any subject ought to be discussed, though some subjects are potentially more sensitive than others and require careful wording.

Perhaps I’m making too much of all this.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Having given this suggestion a bit of thought, I have to confess that overall I am not very keen on the idea.

I think that a rating scheme could deter members from ‘having a go’: they may feel they are asking a ‘naïve’ question; they may be worried about their command of grammar, spelling and general writing style. A rating system would be a bit like having one’s school homework marked. It might make everyone else feel as though they have to be on their best behaviour: light-hearted, good-natured banter and ‘joshing’ is what makes AoS the friendly forum it is.

AoS is a community and I think conditions should be left as they are so that everyone feels free to ask questions, make comments and give advice. Furthermore I think that any subject ought to be discussed, though some subjects are potentially more sensitive than others and require careful wording.

Regards
    +1
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Alex.

Ok then. I guess I was just thinking that threads might get more attention if they are voted up for being informative, entertaining or useful.

I didn't think that the OP would be particularly put off posting by a thread being voted negatively if it just degenerates later on. If the functionality allowed up voting on a particular response then so much the better.

I have to say that I don't think that there is a particular problem with any of the threads - just that it would be nice to acknowledge excellent questions or responses!.

Regards,
    Alex

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    Ok then. I guess I was just thinking that threads might get more attention if they are voted up for being informative, entertaining or useful.

I didn't think that the OP would be particularly put off posting by a thread being voted negatively if it just degenerates later on. If the functionality allowed up voting on a particular response then so much the better.

I have to say that I don't think that there is a particular problem with any of the threads - just that it would be nice to acknowledge excellent questions or responses!.

Regards,
    Alex
    Hi Alex,

I do believe that a quick way to 'home in' to useful and interesting threads could be useful, but I don't know how it could be sensibly implimented.

At the moment members, should they so desire, can comment on and acknowledge good (or bad) posts within the system, and that seems to work well.

Forgive me if I appeared to be too dismissive: I just think an overall 'thumbs up or down', displayed near the heading of a thread, could act as a disincentive to new posters.

Perhaps the Moderators might tell us what they think?

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread