+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot Tapping Returns - SEG Silmic

I'm Ian.

Default Foot Tapping Returns - SEG Silmic

One of Maidstone's finest 6 channel amps tri-amping a pair of Impulse H2s is a recipe for disaster with most digital front ends, especially when Nanci Griffith hits the higher notes. Always been so with the digital sources I have had pain and anguish from start to finish.

Stan's Caiman was the first to bring solace. Clarity improved no end with the addition of a Gator board but I was tempted by the dark side and sold it for an Mdac.

Boy was I impressed, it was like stripping away a cloth, I heard more than ever before, the tonality was spot on but ouch - Nanci Griffiths -
    I just couldn't play - Just had to turn off.

No big deal there's far more to life than NG and for a while I loved what I had, It was almost like I was living with a live band every night.

But hey hang on whats up with my feet they seem to have stopped tapping

swap the filters all night but no improvement so it had to go

After selling my body and sole to Stan a new SEG with a NEW Silmic Cap Gator Board arrived almost (Give him a chance he had to build the thing) the next day.

So now after about 20 hours run in I gave it a serious listen. Well as serious as one can after a skin full of foreign ale.

Foot Tapping is back with a vengeance, Nanci is listenable once again and all is smiles once again.

So how do the new Silmic caps contribute, All I can do is hazard a guess - its been too long since I heard the original SEG to comment accurately but from memory I am getting much greater space around the instruments, more height in the replay space and a little more clarity.

I still think the Mdac was a little more life like and had better tonality but for overall listen-ability I reckon the SEG has the edge by a long way - not to mention at nearly a third of the price - HUGE value money.

All for now off to listen to some music and foot tapping

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You only tap your feet when smiling It's got to make you smile....

E2A: That's enough for it tonight, I really didn't think I'd hit 8,000 posts today

Laters all, I hope everyone on here has a superb 2012, well it would be nice wouldn't it
    Last edited by Reid Malenfant; 11-01-2012 at 22:35. Reason: usual stuff
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Gary.

crikey...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Keith.

Congrats. Mark on the 8.0 Kiloposts.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I have been playing with a Silmic modified Gator and a power supply that Lurcher developed. I am completely over the moon with the outcome.
    But even on the standard Caiman the Lurcher power supply gave outstanding results. If anyone is thinking of a power supply upgrade then his linear power supply is definitely one that I recommend. Add the Silmic mod to the Gator, and it's smiles all round.

I'm Gary.

Stan,
    Is it Nicks two box supply, similar to the one for the SB Touch?

Have one for the Touch...it's excellent and can see a Dac maybe getting even more benefit?
    (my linear PSU for the Dac is good, but buzzes a bit)
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

It's kind of two boxes. One contains a filter network I reckon.

I'm Ian.

Been a bit distracted for the last few days, with a new, to me, pre amp. The mighty Welborne Tube Reveille. Its stuffed with exotica and the case alone is probably worth more than I paid for it but ....

I keep being tempted by valves but some how my Toft Audio LBPA-5 pre is always way way ahead. When I was told it was better than Mark Levinson gear I took the comments with Pinch of salt but increasingly I am thinking can anything ever better this obscure and very rare pre.

Consequently listening to Stans new Silmic Gator has taken a bit of a back seat but I gave it a another serious listen to night and have to ask can a new power supply really improve things further? its pretty amazing as it is.

Stan did I see an earlier thread where you were talking about a radical new PSU that many would want to copy - did anything come of it - would it really take the silmic to a new level without loosing it current brilliant qualities?

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

The power supply is the most important thing At the end of the day it's what you are listening to & everything will be affected by it.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Ian.

any links to options

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast