+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Speakers

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    When you realise that Sara's are a 3 to 4 ohm load and the KEL will probably work properly into 8 ohm minimum speakers, I'm not surprised..

If you stick the Sara's on a proper amp like a good vintage Krell (an original KSA50 would do, but a KSA80 would be better), I think you'd find the performance rather good, or at least a darned sight better than Sara's usually performed with, say, Naim 135's - IMO.

The LK280 has severe design flaws/sonic idiosyncrasies and should have been stillborn in my opinion, but it was designed to drive these cruel loads and did so without burning up. A real amp like one of the Krells mentioned (since they're not silly money right now) would show you what the Sara's can really do, as well as making your DM2A's sit up and take notice
    A proper amp Dave??? I know the Krells are excellent amps mate but you really need to get along to mine and Marks room at Scalford to hear his KEL80's, if you think of your average valve amps as Camilla Parker Bowles then the KEL80's are Vicky Butler Henderson... "They just love it darling!!!"
    Last edited by synsei; 12-02-2012 at 19:33.

I'm Mark.

Did you not take your medication today Dave (dsjr)?
    Mark

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

No, I'm just comparing a heavily designed amp that was MADE to drive hideous amounts of current into a 1 ohm loading presented by your average Apogee ribbon speaker to a transformer coupled? valve amp with inevitable high output impedance and a corresponding shortage of damping (or very low frequency performance) into such cruel loads as the Sara's present.

If you really want to hear what a decent valve amp can do, ffs give 'em highly efficient high impedance loads (like vintage Tannoys for example). You'll restore some damping and the high efficiency won't challenge the amp's output like a Sara did and does
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mark.

You have not convinced me at all about Linn Saras. They are back in the spare room with a pile of stuff to go on ebay.

I'll stick with the DM2's and 80w of EL34 valve loverliness. They seem to work quite well together for the ridiculously low price I paid for them.
    Mark

I'm Nobody.

um cumon chaps the best Toobe Pwr amp imho was the Leak 'ST20' or the TL12+'s.th only one i was ever happy wive anywayz

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Thanks Mike-seen the refoam kits,but having never done any before,was a bit nervous of tackling these big mutha's!
    Not too far from doggy,so might dig them out and have a go
    just pm me when you're ready mate

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    KEL80's are Vicky Butler Henderson... "
    What, squawky and irritating?!

To drag the thread back to vintage speakers, I returned from the Tonbridge Audiojumble yesterday to find that a pair of Leak 3090s had mysteriously made their way into the back of the Rangey. Most peculiar....

Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingdong View Post
    You have not convinced me at all about Linn Saras. They are back in the spare room with a pile of stuff to go on ebay.

I'll stick with the DM2's and 80w of EL34 valve loverliness. They seem to work quite well together for the ridiculously low price I paid for them.
    I wasn't trying to convince you about Saras, just trying to explain crudely how the amp you used, no matter how good into conventional loads, may well struggle with the Saras and if anything, magnify their odd response shape (one note bloom, over projected upper mid and a one-note treble to top it off )

I totally agree with your sentiments in the second paragraph. My stuff in the main system is ss based at present - and "features" IC op-amps as well in the preamp (), but the music that comes out is superb and as good as the valve stuff I've owned in the past (on recordings I've played recently for the first time in many years...). As for costs, for some reason my current stereo seems to be composed of bits I once sold to their original owner

I'm Mark.

I was surprised how little bass i got out of my Goodmans Magnum K2's compared with the DM2's. I know one is a little transmission line and the other a sealed box, but I expected more from the 12" woofers.
    Maybe just need more watts to get them moving. If I get them to Scalford they'll be hooked up to my old Leak Delta 70 (not much watts). I'm still hoping to sort out a reasonable system for less than a tenner.
    Mark

I'm David.

Not sure about the Delata 70 - not a favourite of mine and I'm sure the previous Stereo 70 was better

The DM2's have little damping on the bass driver, so a taut sounding amp may be what's needed to control them. The 104ab was "more tuneful" in this region I remember.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast