+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Grant G2000HD

I'm Harry.

Default Mark Grant G2000HD

Having used a pair of Mark Grant G1000s between my CD and Pre for a while and been very impressed, I was on the look out for a pair of G2000.

Spotted a pair of customer returned on Mark's site (500mm) for a bargain £125. Ordered them immediately and within a few hours received an apologetic email from Mark saying the cables I'd ordered were no longer available and I could either have a set of 1m cables or if I was prepared to wait a few days Mark would make up a set of cables to the shorter length. Same price as the ones I'd ordered.

As length is not an issue I went for the 1m set and they were in my grubby mitts the next day.

As many people have discovered, the G2000HD is a significant step up from the G1000HD. I don't know why that is but after just a couple of hours listening there is an obvious improvement in all areas. Next step is to get a pair of 2000s to run between pre and mono amps.

Aside from the system improvement, I just wanted to give a thumbs up for superb customer care. In these days of crap service it's great to know that people are looking after their customers as well as making great products at sensible prices. Thanks and well done Mark.

I'm Brian.

Hi Harry , I've dealt with Mark a few times now and his cables have also proved to be a revelation in my system . I now use the G2000s in my system and they are fantastic. Also service has been exemplary . The guy is a true gentleman.
    Brian.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Mark stepped into the breech to sort me out with a 1m G2000HD Coax digital cable, ordered very late Thursday night, here first thing this morning, (with updates every step of the way as usual.) Top service and fab products. Cheers Mark.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Just to bring the fanw@nk back down to earth, what is the objective difference in these darned plugs - and DON'T say it can't be measured, 'cos that's bollix IMO... I wasn't a fan of the standard plugs and one of the ones I had didn't like the Croft preamp sockets (Maplin style gold plated ones). The Neutrik ones as on the 1500HD work properly as they always do, but having had cheap-socket failures with locking WBT's pulling these apart, I really want to know WHY they supposedly sound better, as well as costing £100 more
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Harry.

Dave, I'm not technical in the slightest but I trust my ears. Better still I trust the ears of my eldest son who is a gifted musician and guitar teacher. I've been listening all day and gave swapped cables around and done blind tests with guitar boy. We both agree that the 2000s are not just better but MUCH better. Why that should be the case I have no idea.

PS My system isn't top end. Just half decent.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I don't trust my ears at all these days, since they change daily.. Not being at all disrespectful of your findings though but I'd love to know WHY, if you see what I mean
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I really want to know WHY they supposedly sound better, as well as costing £100 more
    In the case of the G2000HDs with silver WBTs (like wot I use), will the fact that they contain solid-silver conductors, which offer superior signal conductivity over copper, and that silver is much more expensive, do?

The copper WBTs, on G2000HDs, work along similar principles of superior signal conductivity, through the use of the best materials, and also (as is the case with the silver WBTs), the elimination of eddy currents, together with the very important reduction of contact resistance. Have a read here:

http://wbt.de/index.php?id=77&backPID=77&tt_products=63

Eddy currents occur in metal components close to where alternating currents flow. These currents can result in major signal distortions. The WBT-0110 Ag is designed in such a way that eddy currents do not occur at all.
    The bit in bold, and its subsequent removal in suitably designed plugs, is an effect that I've been analysing and observing with cables for some time, and also the significant sonic benefits of lowering contact resistance, which WBT refer to as "Transition Resistance'.

As such, the WBTs are one of the best plugs one can fit to audio cables, and in the case of the Mark Grant G2000HDs, are responsible for elevating their performance over the (already excellent) G1000HDs. Trust me, Dave, the effects are easily demonstrated to those with an open mind and a suitably wide-bandwidth, high-resolution system

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

No more thoughts on this, Dave?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Marco, hope you don't mind me asking on this thread, but what differences did you experience moving from the copper to the silver versions of the G2000HDs?
    I have been contemplating this move or possibly even going to the Oyaide FTVS-510s.

Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,

Believe it or not, moving from the copper WBTs to the silvers made the sound smoother, but not in a bad way at all. The silvers just tidied things up a bit and made music sound more realistic. That is what solid-silver cables or plugs do sometimes. There's a slight 'edge' to the sound of the copper WBTs which you don't realise is there until it's gone....

Basically, the silvers made music sound more like music, and less like 'hi-fi'. Don't get me wrong, though, the copper WBT G2000HDs are superb in any context, but if you really want to put the icing on the cake, then the G2000HDs, with 0110Ag WBTs, are just fantastic. Seriously, you'll never want for better interconnects!

The Oyaides are also very good, but are rather system dependant. If you get off on an uber-detailed top-end with lots of 'sparkle', and your system is on the warmer side of neutral, then they could be just the ticket, but I found that this was at the expense of 'musical flow' and rhythmic alacrity, which the G2000HDs, with silver WBTs, major on in a big way.

If you prefer a fast, pacey, 'boppy' sound (count me in), then go with the MGs with silver WBTs, but if you prefer a more 'finessed' sound that also majors on uber-detail retrieval and treble sparkle, then go for the Oyaides. Hope this helps!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast