+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Technics 1210 mk2 pitch fader fix (and instructions on its removal)

Location: Podgorje, Gorenjska, Kamnik, Slovenia, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Local group of Galaxies...

I'm Blaz.

I have used "jumper" from a PC motherboard - it fits almost perfectly and is removable.

I received my used SL1200 in pretty bad shape, and I did the mod before I had the chance to seriously listen to the deck so I had no "before and after" comparison. I don't expect this mod to do anything to the sound quality, but you never really know - member of the TimeStep forum JuanPabloCuervo measured the pitch stability of his Sl1200, and found out that Technics had a bit better pitch stability when the stylus illumination light was on. And he also found out that when he replaced the incandescent light of the SL1200 for the LED diodes of the later models, this "positive effect" was lost, so the pitch was worse with the LED on...
    Digital source: Squeezebox Touch
    Analogue Source: Technics SL-1210, AT-95E cartridge
    Amplifier: XTZ A100 D3
    Speakers: XTZ 99.36 MkII

Pezzer Ritter Wenne Knecht!

I'm Pete.

Nice. I wanted to bypass the pitch control, but have been too lazy to research how it should be done. Next time my platter is off to lube the bearing, I will probably do it.
    Just one less variable to cause error in the pitch control circuit.
    Hearing is believing

SL-1210 Mk5 w/Mike New Platter/bearing/armboard; Hynes SR5 DIY PSU;
    Zyx Airy3X; SME V; Hashimoto HM7 SUT; CJ PR15MkII Phono w/teflon caps.

Modwright LS36.5 Dual Mono Preamp & KWA 150 amp > Paradigm Ref 100 v.4s

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Blaz,

I don't expect this mod to do anything to the sound quality, but you never really know - member of the TimeStep forum JuanPabloCuervo measured the pitch stability of his Sl1200, and found out that Technics had a bit better pitch stability when the stylus illumination light was on. And he also found out that when he replaced the incandescent light of the SL1200 for the LED diodes of the later models, this "positive effect" was lost, so the pitch was worse with the LED on...
    Interesting... My thinking behind this is that I notice a discernable improvement (a clearing up of the sound and a removal of 'hash'/ noise), particularly through headphones, whenever I disable the red strobe light, which one can do when the strobe disabler mod has been fitted.

Therefore, perhaps the effect will be the same with the lights on the pitch control? I guess that one could disable the LEDs, but taking the whole pitch control out of the circuit, when it's never used, seems more thorough!

I will do this next time my T/T is near someone who possesses the necessary soldering skills.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: Podgorje, Gorenjska, Kamnik, Slovenia, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Local group of Galaxies...

I'm Blaz.

An off-topic question about the "SX-1200 KAB strobe disabler" - after inspecting schematic diagram of SL1200 wiring I noticed the only function it does is it breaks and connects one of the two wires to the strobe diodes. The whole "SX-1200" circuit is there just so you can operate this by pressing start/stop button for 5 seconds. So one could achieve the same function by installing the switch on one of the wires? The switch could even be hidden beneath the turntable - you only need to check the platter speed every now and then... And if you replace the platter so you don't have the strobe dots not even then...

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR SX-1200, SL-1200 Strobe Lamp Disabling Circuit.

SX-1200 KAB strobe disablers connects between the following wires: 12 - brown (one of the wires that go to strobe LEDs, for disconnecting the strobes), 4- orange (one of the wires to the start/stop button - for sensing the 5 seconds long press.

I'm not saying SX-1200 isn't wonderfully elegant solution, but it could be done much simpler if one does not need the convenient access to enabling / disabling the strobe.
    Digital source: Squeezebox Touch
    Analogue Source: Technics SL-1210, AT-95E cartridge
    Amplifier: XTZ A100 D3
    Speakers: XTZ 99.36 MkII

Pezzer Ritter Wenne Knecht!

I'm phil.

Default removal of the pich controller for martin T

first of all remove the platter when you remove the pitch controller by the plug you solder or connect by watever means you like the 2 pins (when looking down from the arm side of plinth and counting from L to R number 2 & 3 together this will them stabilize the pitch

I'm phil.

please ask if you have any questions

I'm Andrew.

Bloody hell is that all you do If i'd have known this i'd have done this long ago, this has been on my list of tweeks to do for ages. Cheers mate.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm phil.

no problems and its as easy as that if you do it and totally remove the pitch slider and fill the hole can you let me know any sonic differences you notice please

I'm Andrew.

Sure thing. I honestly dont think there will be any sonic differences. I went through a phase of getting rid of as much crap from under my platter as possible of the PCB. I honestly cant say that I noticed much difference But when I do the mod if I spot something you'll be the 1st to know!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

MartinT Guest

Just noticed this, Phil - thanks! I can see from the circuit diagram that it just bypasses the pitch control assembly switch. However, I always leave mine in the centre detent (locked) position anyway - are you saying there is a sound quality improvement?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast