+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HMV Stereoscope 555

I'm Steve.

Default EMI 555 StereoScope

Hi

I owned both the 555 and the Pre Amp Version

These where made for the U.S. Market and the contract was cancelled Clark and Smith, sold off the remaining units to Company's like Henry's Radio in Edgware Rd, But could not be sold under the EMI Name. This is the reason that they have so many names, the EMI name on the top left corner was covered with a new name label.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by stevemalt; 15-04-2012 at 23:13.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to AoS

Before you go any further, please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community, telling us what system you've got and what music you like, as you were asked to do in the email you received when you registered.

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Simon.

Talking StereoScope Schematic

Apologies for bumping an old thread.
    I really wanted to see the pictures?

Also, does anyone have a good copy of the full schematics? Any favours gratefully returned!
    - Simon

I'm Sharif.

I will upload the photos again as imageshack has deleted them!

I also have a circuit diagram of the preamp section the amp is the same as the Mullard 5-10.

Sharif.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioflyer View Post
    I will upload the photos again as imageshack has deleted them!

I also have a circuit diagram of the preamp section the amp is the same as the Mullard 5-10.

Sharif.

Sharif, That would be wonderful, thanks!
    They did well to follow the 5-10.
    Did they use GZ34 to power the whole lot or semiconductor rectification?
    I hardly beleive an EZ81 is up to all that!
    I'm particularly interested in the oscilloscope bit which I assume is included in the preamp section....

Simon

I'm Sharif.

They used a selenium rectifier feed a RCRC network for the B+ dc voltage.

The preamp diagrams do cover the oscilloscope section.

I have a lot going on but I will try tonight to upload the photos and a link to the schematic diagrams.

Sharif.

I'm Simon.

They used a selenium rectifier feed a RCRC network for the B+ dc voltage.

The preamp diagrams do cover the oscilloscope section.

I have a lot going on but I will try tonight to upload the photos and a link to the schematic diagrams.

Sharif.
    - You take your time mate, there's no real hurry!

I'm Sharif.

Here are a few pictures of the of my rebuilt 1959 Stereoscope 555 integrated valve amplifier.
    I've also found out they were made by Clarke and Smith famous for making the Ferrograph equipment.

I've owned it for over 20 years and I paid about £60 for it so I've no idea what it worth now?

I rebuilt it about 10 or 12 years ago as most of the components had suffered due to the heat.

All the resistors were replaced in main areas with 2 watt high-stab carbon film and the ceramic capacitors were replaced with polypropylene ones.

As for it sound quality it very good having comparing it to the small valve TL12's and the Stereo 20 it had a similar sound but it just sounded more neutral.

Component Side

Side view of preamp.

Front view.

Left hand underside of preamp.

Right hand underside of preamp.

Underside of poweramp.

These old integrated amp are now extremely rare as most of them have overheated in such a small case, this one was in a very bad state when I bought it.
    They are well worth restoring if you fancy a challenge!

Does anybody know any more about these amps?
    Most of the info I found on the net talks about it being a monitor amp for use in studios?

Sharif.
    Photo link restored!

Sharif.

I'm Simon.

Those are excellent. It looks like your refurb job was made slightly easier by the miniaturisation of modern electrolytic capacitors
    Simon.

I'm Alan.

Very nice photos there Sharif. Very nice to see it and such a good re-build job you have done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast