View Poll Results: Please mark out of 10..

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 out of 10 utter drivel

0 0%
  • 1 out of 10 get me out of here

1 5.88%
  • 2 out of 10 bargain bucket tripe

0 0%
  • 3 out of 10 mediocre

0 0%
  • 4 out of 10 passable I suppose

0 0%
  • 5 out of 10 I can take it or leave it

0 0%
  • 6 out of 10 not too bad

3 17.65%
  • 7 out of 10 good

1 5.88%
  • 8 out of 10 very good!

10 58.82%
  • 9 out of 10 fantastic!

1 5.88%
  • 10 out of 10 Utterly superb!

1 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club 24/01/2012: Mazzy Star – So tonight that I might see (1993)

I'm David.

Great album, one of Hannah's faves!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Barry.

I mentioned in my earlier post the singer (Hope) reminded me of a Chemical Brothers track I liked, just read the OP in full (sorry Steve) and yes it was she.
    The opening track I really like but the rest I can take or leave, not bad , something different.
    6/10.

MartinT Guest

I liked it so much that I accidentally bought it twice! Lovely, ethereal singing with a hint of widescreen cinematic backdrops. Love it! 8/10.

I'm ChrisB.

I went for an 8/10 in the end but I suspect that a few more plays would have me giving it a 9.
    Once again Steve, thanks for giving me the opportunity to finally get around to hearing what I've been missing out on.

I'm colin.

Lovely album. The new single isnt bad too.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm John.

Oh dear, what happened to Mazzy?
    I’ve got She Hangs Brightly and bits of it get played every now and then.
    Mazzy on SHB brought to mind some elements of Nico and Velvet Underground.
    Unfortunately it sounds like someone told her she had real talent and could get away with a Leonard Cohen style drone along.

I struggled to stay awake. I’m afraid it goes on in “wouldn’t pollute my hard drive with it” category.

I realise some may say “you need to listen to it a few times and it will grow on you”.
    They also say if you rub eggshell on your fingers you’ll get warts; rather have the warts tbh.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I so love how you sit on the fence all the time John! Still, it would be a boring old world if we all loved the same.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I seem to recall that Hope Sandoval was actually Willian Reid (of the abovementioned Jesus & Mary Chain)'s better half for a while...

Pete

I'm Rich.

This is another one i got off the bay for quid, yes I've went with the consensus and given it a reasonable 8. Its suitable for late night listening and reminds me a bit of Broadcast (from Warp Records) a bit, or is that Broadcast sound like Mazzy Star who came before them.

I think their sound reflects their Californian origins, a bit hazy like the weather there...could see myself chilling to this by a pool in Palm Springs.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Well I enjoyed this, I'd have given it 6.5/10 going on the 6/10 not too bad & 7/10 good.

It started off really well but my attention started to drift a bit towards the end of the album. Must say that it sounded very good indeed though via Spotify

6/10
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast