+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Black Sea Audio speaker cables from Northwest Analogue

I'm Simon.

Mark, If you wire a speaker out of phase the signal still comes from the same speaker post on your amp because only one of them is driven, the other is connected directly to GROUND inside your amp.

A cartridge is floating, yes. But a cartridge is a symmetrical generator with +/- coils that provide exact mirror images of each other. A speaker is not a generator it is the other type of transducer and is only driven on one side, because, wait for it, the other side is connected directly to GROUND inside your amp.

If you doubt what I'm saying you can do one of two things, open your amp and look at the lack of output stage to drive the black speaker post- see- GROUND. Or you could ask someone who knows more about electronics than you who you are willing to believe.

You cannot stick a little passive box on speaker wire and make it do common mode noise rejection- it is impossible, not unlikely, improbable or anything similar, just plain old impossible.

:-)
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Simon, where are we going here

I did suggest to you earlier that you might like to use a Krell FPB amp which swings voltages about zero & you'll find the +VE is the same as the -VE about ground

A cartridge may well be a generator, but unless the outputs are specifically connected they float in relation to ground. I'm sure I posted a nice simple circuit diagram on here on how to wire a floating balanced phono input to either balanced or single ended via a SUT.

There is no ground with an amp that produces a balanced output
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Simon.

Sorry i missed you mention the Krell earlier. Yes of course a balanced amp is balanced, but the advert makes no mention of of only working with that topology- simply that the speaker wire reduces noise through common mode rejection.

Which leads us back to the fact that to achieve a reduction in common mode noise you have to invert one signal and subtract it from the other to cancel out the noise. Now the last time I checked a speaker drive unit cannot do this and that makes it impossible with all single ended amps.

Which only leaves the Krell with it's floating output, serving positive and negative signal simultaneously from each side of the amp. Which still isn't capable of reducing noise picked up by the speaker wire because there is no method for integrating feedback from a plastic box sat on a wire that isn't part of the error amplification feedback loop inside the amp.

So, yes it still remains impossible for these speaker wires and that box to reduce noise on the speaker wire by common mode rejection-because there is no method for feedback to the error correction loops of the amp modules.

Now please go and ask someone who you trust.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Rob.

Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

While all this technical postulating is fascinating, I find it rather circular and completely pointless, as in the end the manufacturer will make the claims that he feels are justified about his product, regardless of whether they are 'scientifically provable' or not. If you don't agree with his claims, then go through the proper formal channels. Circular debates like this (although friendly and non-confrontational) will not solve anything.

Therefore, we're back to the beginning, and the simple assessment procedure of judging the product by using yer lugs! If these cables make your system sound better to YOUR EARS, then they are better, to YOUR EARS - simples!!

So I suggest that interested parties take up Dom's offer of trying before buying, chaps, and we leave it there.

When someone has actually tried the cables in question, they can then give some feedback based on the practical experience of having listened to their effect, and others can glean from that what they wish. Ultimately, on a subjectivist site like AoS, that is all that matters.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    While all this technical postulating is fascinating, I find it rather circular and completely pointless, as in the end the manufacturer will make the claims that he feels are justified about his product, regardless of whether they are 'scientifically provable' or not. If you don't agree with his claims, then go through the proper formal channels. Circular debates like this (although friendly and non-confrontational) will not solve anything.

Therefore, we're back to the beginning, and the simple assessment procedure of judging the product by using yer lugs! If these cables make your system sound better to YOUR EARS, then they are better, to YOUR EARS - simples!!

So I suggest that interested parties take up Dom's offer of trying before buying, chaps, and we leave it there.

When someone has actually tried the cables in question, they can then give some feedback based on the practical experience of having listened to their effect, and others can glean from that what they wish. Ultimately, on a subjectivist site like AoS, that is all that matters.

Marco.
    Bravo!

I'm Rob.

Hear Hear!
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Dominic.

Update for those intersted in trying the demo set. Sorry for the long delay, but my demo set are with another customer at present. He has purchased a set, so the demo set should be back shortly. Please accept my apologies for the delay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234