+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some pics of my stuff before we moved ....

I'm Paul.

Default Some pics of my stuff before we moved ....

Last edited by pjdowns; 07-02-2008 at 21:48. Reason: Picture didn't appear
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    CD1 - Expo XVII/XVIII? Nice - very similar to what I owned up until last year (CD1, IX/XI/IVDR).

Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Paul.

You know your Exposure/Naim equipment Gromit,

A couple of things have changed since. I now have another XVIII which I bi-amp using the RCA/Phono connections for the first amp and tweeters and the XLR connections for the second amp and the midrange/bass.

Other differences to note are that the DSP-E800 in the picture is now for sale as I have seperated the two systems now, I have upgraded the DVD player to a Denon DVD-2910, bought a Squeezebox and a Rega Ear for headphone duties.

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Buffet-blower.

You know your Exposure/Naim equipment Gromit,

A couple of things have changed since. I now have another XVIII which I bi-amp using the RCA/Phono connections for the first amp and tweeters and the XLR connections for the second amp and the midrange/bass.

Other differences to note are that the DSP-E800 in the picture is now for sale as I have seperated the two systems now, I have upgraded the DVD player to a Denon DVD-2910, bought a Squeezebox and a Rega Ear for headphone duties.

Paul.
    Paul,

I have lots of very happy memories of my Exposure days (I started with a X in 1992, then Super XV, then DualIV/DualVI/VII to what I said in the above post). I still bitterly regret selling all of mine but it's always good to see folk not making the same mistake

How do you find the bi-amping? What sort of improvement/change have you experienced? I'm considering the possibility of either bi-amping my NVA A60 or going for the pair of A80 mono's. Can't really decide tbh.

Here's an old pic taken a couple of years ago (Dual IV as opposed to the IVDR I got shortly after)...

Huge 'air guitar' factor
    Richard.

Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Paul.

Gromit,

I have seen that pic of your system before on one of the other forums...

Bi amping was a very good thing to do.

I now have improved vocals, much much tighter and deeper bass and overall a cleaner and less hassled sound. I think it was a major improvement to an extent due to the Epos 14's I have as they really do need driving to make them sing.

So why did you sell the Exposure's and do you still have the CDI ?

P.

I'm Buffet-blower.

So why did you sell the Exposure's and do you still have the CDI ?

P.
    Paul - it was the 'I fancy a change' thing.

I'd had Exposure amps for 15 years so felt (although I loved the amps) that there must be something else out there worth trying. I sold the CD1 early last year to someone in Germany - packed it up carefully (it was in nigh-on mint condition with all the original bits & pieces) but it arrived at its new owner in a very sorry state. I now have a Cambridge 840C which I have to admit is a bloody good CD player, no excuses needed.

I don't need a lot of power (small room) so may well end up bi-amping - sounds promising from what you say.
    Richard.

Richard

Seeing as I have been working with and recommending bi-amping for over twenty years, here is little advice I have never heard anyone else refer to. There are two ways of bi-amping. The standard way is to get a big amp for the bass / mid and a smaller amp for the treble. If you have big speakers with big drive unit this is the most cost effective way to go. If you have smaller speakers and smaller amps then go with another of the same amp you have and wire each stereo amp to each speaker, so instead of left and right you wire LF and HF. One amp has far less work to do, less stress and has the added advantage of mono blocking as well as frequency splitting. Ultimately the best way is four mono blocks but that adds up to lots of dosh. Anyway the second way is the way to go if you stick to the A60 route, and would suit the Royds.

In your case there is no reason why you can't play with the first way now. Run the A60 on the Bass / Mids and the A30 on the trebles. The bi-amping facility is already on the P50, you just need two sets of interconnects and two sets of speaker cable. There will be fractional frequency misbalance as there is extra gain built in the A60 as it is designed to work with a passive, where as the A30 is not. But it will be hardly noticeable.

I'm Paul.

Richard (1),

I was lucky with my CDI, I bought it about 5 years ago from a shop in Newcastle. They sent it to me and when it arrived it didn't work so I sent it back to the shop and they completely replaced the Mechanism which as you maybe aware is the most likely part to wear out on a CDI. As such I got a nearly new CD player and have never looked back . I think that the only time I would consider changing it now would be if I upgraded to say a CDS2 or CDS3.

Paul.

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

In your case there is no reason why you can't play with the first way now. Run the A60 on the Bass / Mids and the A30 on the trebles. The bi-amping facility is already on the P50, you just need two sets of interconnects and two sets of speaker cable. There will be fractional frequency misbalance as there is extra gain built in the A60 as it is designed to work with a passive, where as the A30 is not. But it will be hardly noticeable.
    Thanks Richard - I may just give that a try this afternoon whilst the rest of the family's out.
    Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Thanks Richard - I may just give that a try this afternoon whilst the rest of the family's out.
    Well

or

or

or

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast