+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Richb's System(s)

I'm Rich.

After a few changes heres some quickly taken pics of my systems as at July 2012.

First the main system which is now all Rega, right down to the interconnects and speaker cable... more on this decision later

A view from the listening chair showing all the sources into the DAC, spotify (tivo via optical), laptop (USB) for streaming and cheapo Philips DVD Player (Coaxial) for spinning discs. Just to the side is a pile of my most recently purchased discs ready for perusal.

And the second system with TT used for ripping duties, just out of shot is a large leather armchair i can sit back in when not at the desk itself.

The TT and cans....

Under the desk cable spaghetti, the black box is a Hot Audio Dac Destroyer and the silver Behringer box is USB phono stage which actually gives a very nice balanced input for Audacity. Cables are always changing, at the moment its a mixture of Monster Interlink 100 and Belkin Pure AV Silver Series.

Last edited by RichB; 15-07-2012 at 09:23.
    NEBO 8 - Sat 6th May 2017, St George Hotel, Durham Tees Valley Airport. 10am til late.

See here for details: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...Airport/page20

I'm Graeme.

get some cheap ceramic floor tiles Rich to balance all those "hot boxes" on
    Diamonds on velvets on goldens on vixen,
    On comet & cupid on donner & blitzen,
    On up & away & afar & a go-go,
    Escape from the weight of your corporate logo

I'm Dave.

Looking good Rich. I see you have acquired a pair of Ditton 15XR's, how are you getting on with them? The stands the Dittons are sitting on look interesting. From the photo the Ditton's look to be sitting on them asymmetrically, is this the case?
    [COLOR="#2F4F4F"][SIZE="1"][B]Sources:[/B] Win7 music server ~ Meridian 206 CDP ~ Sony ST73 Tuner ~ Sony MDS-JE480

[B]Amplification:[/B] Trio KA-801

[B]Speakers:[/B] Monitor Audio R852's

[B]Ancillaries:[/B] Rega DAC ~ Superlux 668B Headphones[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]AoS: [/COLOR][COLOR="Grey"]The [COLOR="DarkRed"]HEART[/COLOR] of sound...[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmanuk101 View Post
    get some cheap ceramic floor tiles Rich to balance all those "hot boxes" on
    which boxes you mean? the ones on the floor or the main system? the little Dac Destroyer will be part of my travelling set up in the next few months with the laptop, an external hard drive and a pair of AKG k450, I'm burning in the cans now ready for the road. that way I can still have tunes down in the smoke without waking the neice!

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Looking good Rich. I see you have acquired a pair of Ditton 15XR's, how are you getting on with them? The stands the Dittons are sitting on look interesting. From the photo the Ditton's look to be sitting on them asymmetrically, is this the case?
    Cheers Dave, I love the Dittons... I got them from a recycling centre for a tenner! Fortunately the guy who worked there has a good eye for decent gear. I scraped off the dead snails and wired them up to find they worked perfectly. They're not the last word in refinement but they are fun and fill the room with great sound and thats what the hobby is about for me, they normally sit pretty square on the stands with the tweeters pointing 45degrees at my head when i'm working on the computer like an oversized pair of heaphones! Sometimes if I'm just chilling in here when Mrs B is watchin telly in the other room i turn them outwards so I can sit on the armchair which is currently covered in LPs to be ripped and assorted paperwork. They actually sound pretty good on the end of the A400, loads of detail but no harshness at all. They sounded a bit thin with the mini-t (wheras my old missions loved the mini-t and begged to be fed loud dance music!). The stands are a pair of alphasons I picked up off a local guy for 20 quid..
    NEBO 8 - Sat 6th May 2017, St George Hotel, Durham Tees Valley Airport. 10am til late.

I'm Bob.

Rich - I see some Rega speakers in your pictures, RS5? I'm considering a pair of these - how do you find them? I too would need to place them against the wall, and did you try them with the side speaker facing outwards?

Thanks,
    Bob

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by morris_minor View Post
    Rich - I see some Rega speakers in your pictures, RS5? I'm considering a pair of these - how do you find them? I too would need to place them against the wall, and did you try them with the side speaker facing outwards?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Hi Bob, they are RS3 the RS5s little brothers. Whilst they are an acquired taste lookswise (not the prettiest of boxes) I absolutely love them. Dont know if you are familiar with Monitor Audio stuff but they couldnt be more different in presentation. They dont dazzle, shatter the earth with bass or blast you with treble they are just sort of nice and cope with pretty much everything very well. Many friends who have heard them commented how they responded well to strings and vocals in particular and I'd go along with that. I previously used them with Arcam watts but it was a very laid back kind of presentation, detailed and warm if a bit lacking in gloss, pairing them up with a Brio R really brings out the best in them and they take hardly any driving... the whole Rega system synergy thing is no myth.

I've experimented a few ways with the side firing woofers and cant say I've noticed too difference, I just have them pointing inwards as to me the bass sounds slightly tighter but they are reasonably flexible wrt to positioning and can go well against a back wall, I'd say mine are approx 10in from the rear wall and the sound is nice and balanced from my listening chair. Like I say if you looking for something to blow your socks off on a first listen then the RS3s probably wont do itm if however you are looking for a nice non fatiguing sound which you will love gradually more as time goes on then give them a try. I'd have had RS5s but floorstanders were always pushing the WAF and she was skeptical, until i put the proms on one night and she started smiling!

I'm Bob.

Thanks a lot, Rich. You've given me a lot to think about. The choice of floorstanders around 1k is very wide, but the Regas definitely get to the short list! Cheers, Bob.

I'm Bob.

Rich, I missed a pair of RS5s on eBay but took a punt on some PMC GB1i speakers. To my surprise I won those - immaculate nick, at 40% of list price.

Quite tall, but very slim, and with transmission line loading great bass response.
    Last edited by morris_minor; 21-08-2012 at 13:00.

I'm Rob.

There are some RS7's for sale over oh the wigwam, taking offers @ 1k.
    I had some R7's, sold them for 550, which was cheap to be honest. I had the R1, R3 and R7's and the 7's are a big step up. They fill out the bottom end well but manage to keep most of the speed and agility of the R3's. Great soundstage on them too!
    Rega P9 / RB1000 / AT33PTG/II / Trichord Dino | Yamaha DVD | Benchmark DAC-1HDR | DIY Actives
    Other Bits: Keesonic Kolt | Decware Zen

I'm Rich.

nice one, let me know how they sound.

A dealer in my area was running a rather pricey pair of PMC with rega's flagship isis and osiris disc player and amp. It was absolutely sublime and made me invest in lottery ticket for that night's draw!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast