+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Richb's System(s)

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    If you ever consider letting the A400 go Rich I might be interested if I have the finances available, in which case could you keep me in mind please?
    yes, of course... I'd rather let it go to somewhere it will be appreciated than sold for a song to some fleabay hawk trying to make a quick buck.

Being honest I'd say it is in need of a proper refubishment and could probably shine again if treated properly. The volume pot crackles quite a bit but is fine when left alone, one of the silver input terminals on the back is missing (an overtight interconnect pulled it off). I'd imagine this could be easily replaced. The inside is probably full of dust now so I'd want to clean it up before selling it on.

If you'd be interested in taking it on, I can send you some close up pics so you could make an assesment for yourself and we could come to some arrangement, on the understanding of course that you'd continue to tell its story on AoS for us all to enjoy

I'm Rich.

I am interested in one of the mini t-amps but a bit concerned by their apparent lack of power, the arcam does have pre-outs and I'd considered a separate power amp for it (Quad , Rega or Arcams own) but hadnt thought of using a t amp as a power amp... are they really that good? is it possible they can be better than the arcams own 50w or so??? I'm intrigued at the idea and whilst had entertained the notion for a desktop system it hadnt even occurred to me they could be a part of the main system. would a teeny tiny t-amp really have the welly for this? My interest is well and truely sparked now, wonder how they sound with the standac as a pre.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    .... would a teeny tiny t-amp really have the welly for this? My interest is well and truely sparked now, wonder how they sound with the standac as a pre.
    It's worth a go. Chris (the Mini-T seller) is a top bloke - I'm sure you will get a no-quibble refund if you return it.

Will it work in your system? ... all depends on your room size, speaker sensitivity and load, choice of music, choice of volume level. There are no hard and fast rules in this game.

And yes, I'd not be at all surprised if it beat the Arcam for transparency, detail, bass control, imaging, sheer musical presence. It's a different sort of presentation, though - Arcam is usually a bit on the relaxed side, the Mini-T definitely is not! - so it may suit or it may not.

Have you been following this thread? http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15086
    Excellent review by Christian at post 94 on page 10!

Go on, give one a go!
    Last edited by jandl100; 20-01-2012 at 18:24.
    Jerry

Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, Nobsound NS-02G amp, MBL116F
    or
    Spotify Premium streaming, Wadia 151 PowerDAC, MBL 116F.
    or
    Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, Pass Labs X150 power amp, MBL 116F.
    or
    >> Currently >>Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, LA Audio A-30 el84 integrated amp, MBL 116F.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    If you'd be interested in taking it on, I can send you some close up pics so you could make an assesment for yourself and we could come to some arrangement, on the understanding of course that you'd continue to tell its story on AoS for us all to enjoy
    Pics would be great Rich, cheers. I will of course report on its progress should I take it off your hands
    [COLOR="#2F4F4F"][SIZE="1"][B]Sources:[/B] Win7 music server ~ Meridian 206 CDP ~ Sony ST73 Tuner ~ Sony MDS-JE480

[B]Amplification:[/B] Trio KA-801

[B]Speakers:[/B] Monitor Audio R852's

[B]Ancillaries:[/B] Rega DAC ~ Superlux 668B Headphones[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]AoS: [/COLOR][COLOR="Grey"]The [COLOR="DarkRed"]HEART[/COLOR] of sound...[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Stacked Juras...

Jerry, you really are a legend my friend!!!

As for RS3s - lovely they are. Nice system Rich.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: Dell Latitude D630/M2Tech Hiface/JRiver Media Centre 17/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter - A.o.S. Album Club - reloaded - Are you in...?

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Jerry.

Werll ... you gotta try these things, Alex!

I liked a single pair of Juras so much (lovely fruity mids!) but they didn't quite do the scale I wanted.
    A stacked pair did the job. I enjoyed them a lot and the Thiels had a rest for quite a few weeks!
    Jerry

Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, Nobsound NS-02G amp, MBL116F
    or
    Spotify Premium streaming, Wadia 151 PowerDAC, MBL 116F.
    or
    Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, Pass Labs X150 power amp, MBL 116F.
    or
    >> Currently >>Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, LA Audio A-30 el84 integrated amp, MBL 116F.

I'm Rich.

just a quick update for Dave re the A400, on the way home from work tonight i popped by maplins and picked up a can of air duster and a can of contact cleaner. I opened the old gal up and promptly set about the amp with a soft toothbrush and a few cotton buds. For a total spend of around a tenner the pioneer is now singing like it hasn't in a long while, the volume pot no longer crackles, and there is noticably less noise overall. The old gal still seems to be in pretty rude health, i did notice a little fluid seemed to have leaked from the bottom of the big caps at the rear and they were not split or bulging. (wonder if these are easy to replace and if anyone knows how to do it?) I know you were interested but i might be keeping hold of her for a while yet! Thanks to yourself for inspiring me to give her some tlc rather than replace her. You are right, its still a fairly classy amp.

I'm Dave.

That is excellent news Rich and I am so glad you have rediscovered this excellent amplifier

If the caps are leaking they need to be removed and replaced asap as the fluid will ruin the circuit board eventually. There are those on AoS with far more experience than I who may help you to choose suitable replacements for the caps and might even carry the work out for you for a few tinnys or some smokes
    [COLOR="#2F4F4F"][SIZE="1"][B]Sources:[/B] Win7 music server ~ Meridian 206 CDP ~ Sony ST73 Tuner ~ Sony MDS-JE480

[B]Amplification:[/B] Trio KA-801

[B]Speakers:[/B] Monitor Audio R852's

[B]Ancillaries:[/B] Rega DAC ~ Superlux 668B Headphones[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]AoS: [/COLOR][COLOR="Grey"]The [COLOR="DarkRed"]HEART[/COLOR] of sound...[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.

I'm Rich.

Indeed, if anyone was able to replace these caps for me I'd make sure they were suitably rewarded!

Also the LM4562NA opamps have arrived for the TC-7520, whilst I understand replacing the old ones is a fairly straightforward operation I'll be popping by my mate's place tomorrow (he builds guitar pedals and deals with opamps) for him to oversee proceedings.

**Update** After a bit of browsing around I've since established that the white stuff i thought was leaking from the A400's caps is in fact some sort of resin/glue they used to isolate the caps from the psu, looks untidy but serves a purposes, so all seems to be well and the amp works fine. Seems like its 'breathing' again after having all that dust removed from its innards (hangs head in shame). All the same i'd be interested in knowing if there were any mods could be made to this old amp to keep it running sweet for years to come.
    Last edited by RichB; 27-01-2012 at 01:20.

I'm Rich.

Further to last week's clean up of the A400, I've been enjoying hearing it kick butt again (somehow the slighty harsh sound it hard when i first got it has returned), it feels as if its all settling down again. Generally has a lot more life in it with the 20 years of dust now removed.

Thing i've noticed now the amp seems to be punching its weight again is greater vibration from the speakers on the desk and these can be actually felt when i place my hand on the amp. Never bothered me before and have used this set up for years. So time to improvise some home-brew isolation technology...

First attempt, a chunk of mdf 2cm thick between the desk and amp, less vibration and everything seems to be a bit tighter sounding, some cheap rubber feet purchased from B&Q whilst on a decorating mission were also added to the speakers. Still sounding quite harsh and sharp with flac rips in particular.

Bass is now hugely resonant, certain frequencies just seem to kick my ears in and slightly overpower everything... fun at first playing some old dub stuff but novelty quickly wears off...

Next step, turning to my stash of home office supplies, located 4 squishy stress ball thingies and stuck these under the improvised platform. Now we're talking, excessive bass resonance gone, music is tighter and levels can be pushed up a bit higher before i start to worry for my hearing. Amp doesnt feel as if theres any movement when the speakers are rattling the rest of the desk around. For my next trick i locate 2 old mouse mats, trim them to size take the feet off the speakers and plonk them down. All the harshness has now gone... quite happy with the outcome of today's experiments. Have another DAC arriving this week, an ebay bargain bought out of curiosity and will report back with impressions using the desk system as its my main source for the file based stuff.
    Last edited by RichB; 02-02-2012 at 00:44. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast