+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pre amp to go with Rega Saturn and biamped Quad 405's ?

I'm Mark.

Smile Pre amp to go with Rega Saturn and biamped Quad 405's ?

Hi I'm after a new preamp and I'm wondering if anyone has tried any modern ones with biamped Quad 405's ?My other bits of kit are Castle Chester speakers,PC,Beresford Caiman,Revolver turntable and Rega Saturn CDP currently using a PS Audio passive pre.Any thoughts ?Cheers Mark.

I'm Dave.

Croft, from £400 to £2800.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You REALLY don't need us to suggest a good modern universal preamp do you?????

For new, there really is only one with a decent line and/or phono stage at sensible money, and that's Croft (cables can be made up easily enough and if the volume controls are too cramped, the Quads can have their input sensitivity modernised by changing one resistor per board (four total in your case)..

For used, Croft again, although I must say that a late, "chocolate" Quad 44 and also the 77 preamp offer good performance. The EAR 834 may be alright too and if you can find one, I must admit to having regard for the Levinson ML28.

AVI preamps have very low output impedance and will happily drive two 405-2's with no issues at all. They now have a "pet" engineer who can service them if necessary (although they're not old enough yet I feel )

Myryad did a good preamp too and I was also impressed with the original Audiolab 8000Q and MF X-P100 (I think it was called).

Hope this helps. I've just remembered, Jerry here has used the Krell KRC3 which can be got under a grand now, and it's darker tones would be ideal I think..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mark.

Talking Re Pre amp to go with Rega Saturn and biamped Quad 405's ?

Thanks for the replies !So it seems Croft is a popular choice.My neighbour grew up with Glen Croft tis a small world.I have thought about Croft amps and Rothwell(I used to know Andy Rothwell when he started his buisness - it's a very small world !)as well as a Rega Cursa 3 which would give good synergy I think.Then there's Sugden and Icon Audio to consider - anyone tried those ?By the way was that a Be Bop Deluxe line ?Cheers Mark.

I'm Mark.

Smile more Rega

plumped for a Rega Mira 3,mint for £200 and I'm well chuffed.Now looking for a Maia 3 or a pair of Exons...

I'm Mark.

Default rega power amps

Hi does anyone know of any Rega power amps for sale ?Cheers Mark.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Bi-amping has its critics but for the price of 2 x 405s it's definitely worthwhile. I bi-amped 405s a while back. Firstly I used a Quad 34 (bit harsh on upper range at high volume) and then with an Exposure VI + VII (warmer and better defined bass).

I appreciate this isn't the answer to the question - a modern pre-amp - but getting a second 405 was one of the best upgrades I ever made and I still hark back to it, I was bi-amping vertically and the soundstage broadened by a couple of feet either side. Happy days

Pete

+ Reply to Thread