View Poll Results: Propaganda - A Secret Wish: Awful or Brilliant ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Out of 10 Fit for the Dustbin

1 5.56%
  • 2 Out of 10 Maybe ok on the Dustpan

0 0%
  • 3 Out of 10 Worth leaving on the Floor Awhile

0 0%
  • 4 Out of 10 Worth Listening to Again

0 0%
  • 5 Out of 10 Ummm!!! Not too Bad

0 0%
  • 6 Out of 10 Actually pretty Good

2 11.11%
  • 7 Out of 10 Will have to Play that Again

2 11.11%
  • 8 Out of 10 Really very Good Indeed

5 27.78%
  • 9 Out of 10 Excellent

7 38.89%
  • 10 Out of 10 Worth getting a Tattoo of the album cover put on your body

1 5.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Album Club: 10.01.2011: Propaganda – A Secret Wish 1985 ZTT Records

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Just got reminded by Alex post to load these

No I wasn't kidding....

I guess that means I'm the only person who can give it a 10/10 then

Indeed Mark, the only one; who can.

Regards D S D L

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Indeed Mark, the only one; who can.

Regards D S D L
    And did

Bests to you Neil.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Steve.

I have given this a 7/10 as I think it is very good. I think it is really good 'pop' but is a bit more than that without wanting to sound critical. I will certainly have another listen.

Edit - Duel was a brilliant track!
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Lee.

I once met Derek Forbes and Brian McGee at a gig in Swindon. They we playing in a band called the flys. Derek joined propaganda after he left simple minds in '85. I don't think he played on A Secret Wish but he played bass on the tour. Brian joined Derek in propaganda for the 1234 album. I remember reading at the time of 1234 that they were touting it as a kind of follow up to simple minds' new gold dream (now that's an album for the album club).

Anyway, Derek, who I was a big fan of (I used to play a bit of bass myself) told me how they recorded with propaganda; Although he wrote the basslines they just sampled his bass.

I love this album, particularly the relentless momentum of dream within a dream, the pure pop brilliance of duel and the crazy pop extravagance of dr.mabuse.

There are a bunch of remixes as well that are worth a listen, some of which are available on the deluxe reissue. I'm pleased that the analogue versions are included on there.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I once met Derek Forbes and Brian McGee at a gig in Swindon. They we playing in a band called the flys. Derek joined propaganda after he left simple minds in '85. I don't think he played on A Secret Wish but he played bass on the tour. Brian joined Derek in propaganda for the 1234 album. I remember reading at the time of 1234 that they were touting it as a kind of follow up to simple minds' new gold dream (now that's an album for the album club).

Anyway, Derek, who I was a big fan of (I used to play a bit of bass myself) told me how they recorded with propaganda; Although he wrote the basslines they just sampled his bass.

I love this album, particularly the relentless momentum of dream within a dream, the pure pop brilliance of duel and the crazy pop extravagance of dr.mabuse.

There are a bunch of remixes as well that are worth a listen, some of which are available on the deluxe reissue. I'm pleased that the analogue versions are included on there.
    Thank you for that, very interesting indeed.

Regards D S D L

I'm Barry.

Never heard of Propaganda lots of 80's stuff passed me by. Knew about ZTT and who in the world didn't know FGTH.
    This is a very powerful album and of course I had heard Duel (hundreds of times). Like this quite a lot, wouldn't by it now though as it is a bit time locked IMO.
    7/10

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Good choice - a very strong record that I keep coming back to. "Dr Mabuse" made it into Peel's Festive Fifty that year, I saw them with Derek Forbes on bass at Nottingham RCH as well. Always liked their cover of "Sorry For Laughing" too...

Pete

I'm Paul.

Better than I expected as electro pop was never my thing in the 80's. However contains a number of strong tracks especially the singles Dr Mabuse and Duel which I remember from that time. Gave it 6/10 for the original album. BTW MOV are going to reissue it on double 180g vinyl (I assume the expanded version). I much prefered the Analogue mixes from the 2011 reissue.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    Better than I expected as electro pop was never my thing in the 80's. However contains a number of strong tracks especially the singles Dr Mabuse and Duel which I remember from that time. Gave it 6/10 for the original album. BTW MOV are going to reissue it on double 180g vinyl (I assume the expanded version). I much prefered the Analogue mixes from the 2011 reissue.

That's interesting, when they do perhaps you could post a link to the new vinyl edition here.

Regards D S D L

I'm ChrisB.

Well, someone was going to have to give it a low score. That'd be me, I'm afraid! I can't be doing with this at all.

.......sorry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast