+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tera USB to SPDIF Converter

I'm Clive.

There are many ways to lower jitter. I happen to think that even though jplay is 90 quid for not a lot of code it's the most cost effective product I've come across so far. A stripped out PC with linear power supplies is going to cost way more.

I have a good async usb dac here plus my 7520. The dacs for sure make a difference, quite a significant one, but the place to spend the money is in the player first of all. I simply never heard redbook sound so good and on a par with a really good vinyl setup, no matter what CDP or transport is put into the equation, maybe except for DCS.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm ILOB.

It only adds to Jplay and I get spotify to sound as good as Jplay Mini but not as good as Hibernation mode
    Combine the two and takes things even further
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbasrah View Post
    We have the usb, spdif, async, non-async, i2s only, galvanic isolation, stripped down OS, minimal process, Linux, individual core, mp3, flac, wav, mains conditioning, replacement psu, digital cable quality etc (to name but a few) advocates, undoubtedly based on honest opinion from experiences with their own gear and hearing. Fascinating variations and solutions, though inconclusive in terms of generalisation, as no two setups are absolutely identical.
    The same would apply to computer motherboards, and my own is running audio via asio /async/usb up to 24/192 to get best audio, falling back to the lower quality optical when I select video. It works, has no interference, and the computer is use normally for the net and work.
    I doubt if a usb-spdif converter would improve things, but it is not impossible it might improve on the existing optical output. However, if the signal is at it's best already at usb, and the onboard optical converter is substandard, why should optical concern me?
    Each to their own in this regard. You will note that I said 'generally' as it is not possible to make sweeping absolute statements for the exact reasons you suggest above.

In my personal experience a high-quality USB to SPDIF interface like the Audiophilleo or Jkeny-modded Hiface performs noticeably better than the on-board USB implementations on most DACs. Your mileage may vary.
    ••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

I'm ILOB.

I hear the JKHIFACE performs really well too
    I hope to compare in a few weeks
    There are lots of pathways to decent sound and in my system this has made a sizeable difference to digital playback
    Last edited by John; 10-01-2012 at 08:17.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Bob.

Sorry, Pete and John, I realise that we are talking of different setups and solutions.
    What I am getting at is that IF the signal is good enough already at the usb, it is only the manner of onward transfer of the signal and how it's dealt with at the DAC which remains the variable, rather than the medium through which transfer takes place.

With usb to optical there are two conversions in that chain, but the optical input is better handled it would appear in your cases at the DAC, and John Kenny's converter does a better job in creating the optical signal than possibly the motherboard implementation on my machine.

It may be interesting to try a Hiface or similar with the next DAC to see what if any differences there are, since there appear to be conflicting opinions on the the two methods of transfer.
    Last edited by bobbasrah; 10-01-2012 at 08:57. Reason: Grammar

I'm ILOB.

You maybe right Bob
    Everything should be related into your own system
    All I can say in my system its making a huge difference, it may do in other peoples it may not
    But if you using USB ouput then this should be considered alongside other alternatives

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbasrah View Post
    Sorry, Pete and John, I realise that we are talking of different setups and solutions.
    No worries!

What I am getting at is that IF the signal is good enough already at the usb, it is only the manner of onward transfer of the signal and how it's dealt with at the DAC which remains the variable, rather than the medium through which transfer takes place.
    Indeed

The quality of the USB receiver incorporated into the DAC is key. Asynch transfer is only part of the equation - some implementations are very good and some aren't so good.

With usb to optical there are two conversions in that chain, but the optical input is better handled it would appear in your cases at the DAC, and John Kenny's converter does a better job in creating the optical signal than possibly the motherboard implementation on my machine.

It may be interesting to try a Hiface or similar with the next DAC to see what if any differences there are, since there appear to be conflicting opinions on the the two methods of transfer.
    Converters such as the Jkeny hiface, the Audiophilleo, the OffRamp etc are USB to SPDIF coax rather than USB to optical. I think you'd find that the above devices create a superior SPDIF signal than 99% of the SPDIF outputs incorporated on any motherboard, sound card or similar device. They do a heck of a lot to reduce jitter levels. Whether or not the differences are readily apparent obviously depends upon the individual and the system being used.
    ••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

I'm Bob.

Thanks for that Pete.
    No wonder opinions are so divided with so many variables....

I'm andrew.

I used a Mk1 JK Hiface until a few weeks ago and can confirm its in an excellent bit of kit SQ wise, a substantial improvement over a std Hiface. The latest improved Mk3 version should be even better.
    Andy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123