+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2/3/4/5 way horn build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Bob.

Forever fascinated by horns, GRFs, etc, and constantly amazed by the skills and workmanship that go into their fabrication.
    Stunning stuff....

I'm David.

Excellent work Steve, would love to hear them.

I'm Steve.

That'll be quite a journey! But if you are ever passing Surrey no problem

Quote Originally Posted by daveskis View Post
    Excellent work Steve, would love to hear them.

I'm Steve.

I was not perhaps blown away by my first Tannoy listening but I did hear potential. The GRF raised the game a bit. My first real mid/upper horn listening was Vitavox S2 on a conical at 500Hz upwards.
    From there it just sort of carried on.

Just now these are the peak of what I think I can achieve sound wise.
    I will no doubt dabble with Tractrix and Le Cleac'h too on the upper mids and Mids but Le Cleac'h gets impractically big as you lower the frequencies.

The rolled off mouth termination and the Lazy Ribbons have had a very positive effect on
    the upper frequencies indeed.
    It just keeps getting better.

Now though I've reached a stage where I can put something like Bach Toccata BVW 565 on and just be amazed by the scale and power of the organ bass frequencies akin to being in front of a large church organ, of course not the same as this is playback, but it is happening in my room! I can follow the play all the way up to the light & very fast stuff. They never run out of puff or strain.

Violin work has become a joy to listen to.

A few visitors both audiophiles and non-audiophiles have used the word effortless.

Horns really are where it is at for me. 2 and 3 way solutions struggle as you are asking each horn to cover too wide a freq range and they struggle - 5 way is the thing.
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 06-01-2012 at 14:27.

I'm ILOB.

I love seeing Obsession like this. I am sure it sounds amazing Steve
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm fuckoff.

Amazing looking work.

Out of interest, if you were to increase the angles in the horns to infinity (essentially creating a circle) what would that do to the sound, improve it? Conversely, if you were to lower it right down, say to four edges to create a square horn, what would that do?

Did you choose the amount of angles/side to your horns for convenience or the acoustic impact?

What do you plan to finish them in? I assume there's an optimal coat of something or other to get the desired sound you'd like?

Sorry about the terminology above, not really sure how to articulate myself properly lol.

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Really like these your skills and patience are abounding, i have been following the thread over on the dark side
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Steve.

I think essentially the number of sides does not make a substantial difference to the sound. You see all manner of number of sides out there in both commercial and DIY horns. Certainly bass frequencies can be 4 sided no problem.
    Rectangular ones are used to ensure even sound dispersal in venues for example.
    Some say that an odd number of sides would be beneficial - don't know if you could hear that though...
    Flare rate, throat and mouth area and mouth termination have an enormous effect and getting the right ones for the driver and frequency range is key.

I chose 12 sided cos I'd heard a 12 sided conical and it sounded good at the upper frequencies I wanted, they look nice and are fiddly enough. After that I just carried on with 12 sided down the spectrum to match.

Finish (eventually and perhaps before Scalford) will be beech flavoured varnish, sprayed on.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    Amazing looking work.

Out of interest, if you were to increase the angles in the horns to infinity (essentially creating a circle) what would that do to the sound, improve it? Conversely, if you were to lower it right down, say to four edges to create a square horn, what would that do?

Did you choose the amount of angles/side to your horns for convenience or the acoustic impact?

What do you plan to finish them in? I assume there's an optimal coat of something or other to get the desired sound you'd like?

Sorry about the terminology above, not really sure how to articulate myself properly lol.

I'm Paul.

when I visited you last year steve you never struck me as the obsessive type, has someone been spiking your coffee in the mornings?

seriously though, excellent work. Lucky you now got a dedicated listening room to put it all in, don't think there'd be much room left in your lounge.
    Paul.

I'm Steve.

Dr Jimmy and Mr Jim - I guess

No they are a little large but actually footprint wise are not so much more consuming than say a finicky rear ported floor standing cat coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur07 View Post
    when I visited you last year steve you never struck me as the obsessive type, has someone been spiking your coffee in the mornings?

seriously though, excellent work. Lucky you now got a dedicated listening room to put it all in, don't think there'd be much room left in your lounge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast