+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows to Linux beginer tips.

I'm John.

Default Windows to Linux beginer tips.

As file based audio gains popularity there is an increasing interest from audiophiles in OS systems that concentrate more on sound quality than visual quality and convenience.

The two main operating systems Windows and Apple are getting increasingly complex and hardware intensive and I can’t see either bringing out a stripped down operating system specifically for audio replay in the foreseeable future; this leaves Linux.

There are Linux distributions (different types of operating system) that concentrate on audio replay under development, but this is part of the problem; they are under development (not necessarily working for a wide enough range of system architecture (Motherboards, Processors)) and they don’t necessarily cater for the particular method of transferring audio files to your computer you prefer (storage attached directly to your computer rather than a network streaming arrangement for example) or provide a GUI (General User Interface (think something you can look at on a screen and click on to do stuff)).

In theory at least, all Linux distributions can made to give a GUI and recognize your music storage system but so far I haven’t come across one that you can point and click at that covers enough option to be user friendly to a Windows or Apple user.

This guy is getting close.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70052

If you like your file based audio go over and give the guy some encouragement.
    We’ve had this working out of the box so to speak but it’s got some limitations, for example, if you want to use a directly wired USB external hard drive and collect your music files from, or have a media player you can actually point and click at on a screen you have to make system changes.

There are others that can be “adapted” such as
    http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd
    but, you cant chuck this on any old system architecture and get it to run.

My point here is, so far I haven’t found a Linux distribution that the average Windows user can point and click at and get an audio file from a drive to a Dac without having to use the CLI (Command Line Editor), think DOS prompt, for those who are old enough to remember.

TIPS
    1) You need to view getting to know Linux as a long term project. It just ain’t going to happen overnight. There is no project “point and click”; there is however every chance of project “crash and burn”.
    View it as a new hobby instead of watching that shite on the TV.

2) Don’t use Wubi to install Linux.

I tried doing this a couple of times and it all went horribly Pete Tong. Apparently this is quite common.

3) Download an ISO image of the distribution you are interested in and burn it to a RW CD.

While the idea of running an operating system from a USB drive sounds great lots of older BIOS setups don’t allow for USB booting and if you’re the average Windows user even sorting out upgrading BIOS can be enough to put you off the whole idea.
    Virtually every computer will boot from a CD.

4) Don’t install Linux and another operating system on the same drive as another operating system.

4a) If possible use another computer.
    This way there is no chance of accidentally deleting your everyday working computer stuff.

4b) Back up anything you can’t afford to lose be it on the same drive or not…..seriously.

Yes, you can partition your drive. Yes you can use a Virtual machine. Unless you are very confident with using a partition manager from a live disc it’s going to end in tears.
    The main problem is Linux uses a different boot manager to Windows (Grub and MBR respectively)
    Once Linux is installed everything (including Windows) boots from Grub (Linux takes over the boot process basically) this is fine while you are using Linux, but if you want to get rid of a Linux distribution and return to Windows only you’ll have to remove Grub and reinstall MBR and this can be a major headache for a beginner.

Considering Linux distributions are free its well worth buying a small hard drive just for Linux. You’ll then be able to swap crash and burn to your hearts content and when you want to actually do something with a computer you can just change drives. Don’t say you weren’t warned. You will crash Linux if you’re learning.

5) Make sure you have a bootable copy of your Windows distribution (XP, Vista, Win7) that works.

I’ve been burned a couple of times with this; once with an XP installation where three quarters of the way through a new install Windows couldn’t find some vital files on it’s own disc and once again with a Win7 install due to a dirty disc.

5a) Make sure you have a partition manager that will run “live” from a CD ready. This is free and basic and will get you out of trouble.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/boo...generation.htm

instructions.
    (When downloaded run the exe in there. You can then make a bootable floppy or cd your choice. This puts the program on you choice of media so you’re ready to go. (the cd option makes a cd .iso so you will need a program to burn it.) Both the floppy and cd contain the same program. Next you will restart your computer with the cd or floppy in the drive. Once you boot into the program do not install it to your hard drive. Just click cancel to just run it off the cd or floppy. Then go to partition work. Click the circle for your primary drive on the left side of the window. Select and delete every partition except for your standard windows partition. Now you should have a format less partition that says free space after it. Then select your windows partition and click resize. It will run an error check which may take a while depending on your partition size. Once that finishes type in the largest size in the prompt unless you have other plans for some of that space. Once you do that it will allocate all that space back to your primary partition. Next, if you installed grub the bootloader you will need to reset you mbr or else you can't boot up because grub will crash. To do this select you windows partition go to view mbr on the left. When in there select your windows partition and click std mbr. This will take grub off and set your mbr back to the way it was before. Click apply and the changes will be made.

Or this one.
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm

So, you should start out with bootable copy of Windows on a CD, a copy of a partition manager you can run live from a CD burnt on CD and a copy of the ISO burnt to CD for the particular Linux distribution you want to play with.

Linux tends not to do stuff quickly. Just because it isn’t showing an egg timer or clock spinning doesn’t necessarily mean it ain’t thinking (a bit like some Hi Fi forum contributors ) so have patience and only hit the power off switch when you’re sure its terminally crashed.

6) Something that confused the crap out of me when I first started using the Terminal/CLI (DOS style window needed to get Linux to do stuff) is it wanted a password for everything. What nobody tells you, is when you type your password in it doesn’t show on the CLI screen although it’s been accepted. Take note! Just go on to the next command.

7) Another thing nobody tells you is Linux has different levels of administrator rights.
    You can get halfway through something and the CLI pops up a notice that you don’t have permission to do this; extremely frustrating!
    Basically you need to have “root” permission for your system. It’s a bit like user accounts in Windows. You need to find out how to be a “root” administrator for your particular Linux distribution if you’re going to make major system changes.

8) For some commands/scripts you need to know the name of your particular distribution (Ubuntu 10.04 for example isn’t enough. You need to know if its called Hardy Heron, or whatever.

9) The easiest way to try commands and scripts out is often to copy them from source and paste them into the CLI, deleting out the commentary where necessary.
    Working out what symbols are supposed to be entered and what are in fact commentary quotes for example can be interesting to say the least.

10) There is loads of stuff on the various Linux forums regarding the different distributions and how to get stuff working. You just have to try things out and hope they will work on your setup.

The main hinderances to learning and Linux in general imo are:
    Out of Date.
    Even the “official” forums for certain distributions suffer from this.

The Linux geek.
    Plenty of these around. Unfortunately while many seem to know their stuff they seem totally incapable of understanding that reams of command lines just doesn’t mean shit to the average Linux wannabe and when they find they can’t talk geekish they piss off back to their caves.
    Every now and then you find someone who is capable of expressing themselves in English and conveying the necessary information in an intelligent and understandable manner.

11) It’s worth setting up an Internet Relay Chat client (irc) and joining a channel that concentrates on Linux.
    I’ve had some very good “walkthroughs” help for a couple of problems on irc
    A couple of threads worth reading

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...les-Voyage-MPD

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Linux-101

To get started I’m going to recommend any Ubuntu distribution from 10.04.
    I’ve just upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to 11.10 (what pratt said the advantage of Linux is you don’t get endless patches like Microsoft )
    I like it so much I’m tending to use it more for the everyday stuff than Windows XP and for me that is saying something.

Ubuntu isn’t ideal for audio as far as I can see but it is excellent for learning a bit about what Linux can do. Ubuntu 10.04 onwards does a lot of regular stuff out of the box (most of the time) and looks pretty decent. It’s a bit slow and doesn’t like multi taking much so not for the frantic mouse clicker. However, alongside a Windows user friendly GUI it has the dreaded Terminal/CLI and is reasonably crash proof.
    This seems to me so far the easiest distribution for the Windows user to learn how to use the CLI and experiment with getting the various Linux audio drivers to work while still having a useable system, albeit possibly with out audio at times

I just want to add finally add here I have not successfully installed, got up and running and managed to retrieve an audio file from an external hard drive and send it to either of my Dacs at the file bit rate and frequency without help from anyone else yet and I’ve been messing about with various Linux distributions for a few months on and off now.

If I can cope with it I’m going to try to write up a complete run through of an audio priority Linux installation once my mate gets back to hold my hand.

What I would like to do here is a “how to/tips” thread for Linux based audio; really seriously not interested in “Do you think such and such sounds better than such and such, or, can you describe the subtle nuances found between A and B?” Ffs, GTFO and go listen for yourself. Lets see how it goes.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

John - on behalf of AoS and personally - a big thanks for taking the time to put this together. I think I will dig up an old laptop and have a play... keep thinking about it, so as good a time as any now SCD and X-Factor have finished...

Thanks again.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Jostein.

A good overview this, but there are a lot of assumptions here on Linux that is not necessarily correct or are outdated. If you try Linux Mint or Open Suse these will be just as easy or easier to use than Windows and they will beat it to the punch regarding performance. All computer applications and operative systems has a learning curve, but in the most recent versions of Mint and Suse these are very easy to install, have ease of use and they have very active forums and mailing lists readily available. A lot of applications are also available for free on the net like Audacious for music editing.

http://linuxmint.com/
    http://www.opensuse.org/en/

You don't need to use CLI for much in these distros, but the command line is very effective to use when you learn more about it. These distros have excellent hardware recognition and drivers included.

If you have old hardware with an old monitor and such, you might need a smaller Linux distro which has more limited features. The advantage with Linux is that you can always find a distro that fits even the oldest and slowest stuff. If you install a big distro on a very old box it will of course be a bit slow, but it will be much faster than Windows 7 anyway.

If you plan to only use your Linux box for audio there are also some specialized audio distros:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/to...diomultimedia/
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Top-1...on-64552.shtml
    http://linux-sound.org/distro.html

I have used OpenSuse and Slackware for many years myself both privately and at work and it works great for all uses and much less expensive than Windows and Apple.
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Fantastic John, I do like Linux as I have to use it at work on occasion and should in all honestly use it a lot more, but we are so busy I don't get the chance. But as ever, very helpful and informative information delivered in your unique inimitable style.

Hat's off to you fella and I'm so glad you returned to AoS after your short hiatus last year - we are the better for it.

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm John.

Cheers Alex and Tim
    Give Ubuntu a go. Even if you cant get rid of the Pulse audio interface or get ALSA or an alternative working its quite a nice looking OS and does stuff out of the box such as nvidia driver support and flash and it even recognised my hard drive and Dac without problems.

Clementine is nice looking player which will reputedly support a large Flac library.
    I haven’t managed to get it playing nice yet but I’m working on it.
    http://code.google.com/p/clementine-player/

@Jobstein.
    Hmm, I hear this a lot from Linux enthusiasts.

I’ve tried Linux Mint Debian and it broke…..a lot, trying to coax audio data transfer over USB at native file bit depth and frequency rate using NFTS external hard drive directly connected to my AMD based PC.

I’ve tried Ubuntu Studio and yes it does lots, but it doesn’t do what I want it to very easily.

I don’t think I’ve written anything unfair or outdated in the above.
    Bear in mind I write from the perspective a reasonably competent computer hardware builder who has a pretty good idea of what he does and doesn’t want from an OS that will just be used for audio.
    Also bear in mind I’m reasonably computer literate, I can even write the odd script and get my XP Windows machine to play lovely audio up to the supported bit depths over USB and SPDIF.
    Linux! Well, maybe in a few more months.

Reading various posts here for example some contributors who are fairly Windows able have problems with getting bit perfect audio out of a OS they are quite comfortable with.
    You can’t seriously tell me that they will find doing the same with a Linux based computer any easier.

Linux, well its great fun but Pulse and ALSA aren’t the easiest to work with in my experience.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking Linux, far from it in fact. I’m trying to encourage audiophiles to get used to it because the future of computer audio lies with Linux.

Anyway, please feel free to write up how you have your file based audio system set up.
    If we can get a bit of a “likely suspects library” going with people who has actually built a system, or even installed a Linux OS suitable for file based audio it would be worth more than pages and pages of I think this sounds better than that.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Jostein.

Welder: If you can describe more in detail how your system with files is set up, it will be easier to provide a solution. I see that you use a mpd server. Would one of these graphical mpd clients work for you?

http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients

For file managing and access to different drives with audio, Dolphin is what I use:

http://linuxappfinder.com/package/dolphin

Amarok is a great browser and all around music player for your audio files on your drives, internet, CD's and other:

http://amarok.kde.org/

These apps works best in KDE desktop which you get preinstalled with Suse.

The real experts on a DAC setup with a music server is over at the Discless Circle:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=133.0

F.ex. this thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102060.0
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm Keith.

I'm very happy with Ubuntu and XBMC as my audio streamer. It's not the leanest solution by any means - I run it on an old PC (AMD athlon 64 single-core processor (3700+ - I think) and 2GB RAM. Total install is around 5GB. When streaming FLAC files from my server via a SAMBA share, the processor is never running at more than 10% with memory around the 10 - 15% utilised mark.

I have removed PulseAudio and have disabled some non-essential services, but other than that it's a stock Ubuntu 10.04LTS install. My NVIDIA card (and Samsung TV) and Caiman DAC were detected out-of-the-box.

XBMC is versatile - it's a full-blown media centre, although I only use it as an audio streamer, that copes with just about all audio and video formats and has a very usable "10 foot" user interface - I use a cheap (£7 delivered off eBay) IR remote control. I use the 'AON Nox' skin which is very slick. The latest beta version ('Eden') of XBMC is very quick with my library of 35,000+ tracks.

There is an 'XBMC Live' version which can run off a CD-ROM or USB-stick boot that includes a stripped-down Ubuntu Live distro and is ideal to try without having to install anything to your hard drive.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Jostein.

XBMC looks very interesting, thanks for that link.
    My hifi system:

I'm John.

Hi again Jostein.

First my apologies, I spelt your name wrong in my preceding post….

What I’m trying to do here is gather information about Linux audio matters.
    I don’t really have a problem as such. Thanks for the offer of assistance anyway. No doubt I shall call on it at a later time.

One can’t help noticing here on AoS there are a few people who are interested in file based audio but who aren’t particularly comfortable with working with computers.

What I’m aiming for is a full walkthrough of installing at least one and preferably a few lightweight Linux distributions suitable for low powered aging laptops. Of course, there should be nothing to prevent such a configuration working on a powerful desktop either.
    Hopefully, if we can get at least one step by step audio orientated Linux installation that actually works laid out here people will give it a try on an unused laptop or spare drive.

While it’s probably true that there are such guides elsewhere on the net, in my experience a high proportion of them are either unintelligible to a Linux beginner or don’t work in practice.

My particular preference is for directly attached external drives with the client and server all on one machine and a GUI player that can be viewed from say three or four meters away that has some form of remote control; something similar to Keith’s (above) set up in fact.
    This is what I think will be most useful to the “average” audiophile interested in venturing into file based audio.

I suppose a second objective is to get audiophiles to move from the often costly commercial OS that aren’t particularly suitable for file based audio out of the box to a free and more adaptable Linux option.

Hi Keiths

I don’t suppose I could persuade you to type up how you removed Pulse audio from Ubuntu 10.04 and configured ALSA (?) for bit perfect playback?

I used this
    http://www.jeffsplace.net/node/12
    and did get it working eventually but I didn’t keep a record of any issues at the time.

-Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm John.

Why remove Pulse audio from Linux?

Pulse audio could be described as the Linux version of Windows K Mixer; the audio management layer that Windows based audiophiles try to bypass with asio or kernal Streaming in Win XP or Hog Mode in Win7.

What Pulse audio can do if not properly set up is resample 44.1 bit depth audio to 48.
    As I understand it both Kmixer and Pulse were introduced to allow better integration with some web based media and DVD replay.
    Apart from the possibility of having files resampled it also introduces a degree of latency into the audio playback.

Fortunately not all Linux distributions come with Pulse audio; some have ALSA which is the audio layer that sits under Pulse, a bit like WMD under say Realtek drivers in Windows.

Lubuntu and Xubuntu and Voyager (Linux operating systems) for example don’t come with Pulse.

-Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast