+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Plasma screen run-in?

I'm Buffet-blower.

Default Panasonic Plasma screen run-in?

Hi gang,

Just today brought home our new TX-P42GT30 - what an awesome telly! Looked at pretty much all the boxes under 800 quid or so, really liked the Samsung LED's but the Panasonic just seemed to have this gorgeous, natural and un-forced picture that we went for it. Power consumption is a hell of a lot less than plasmas of old too. Job done.

What I'm asking of the AoS AV experts (I'm a total duffer where AV tech's concerned) is what's the best way to run in the screen on a plasma? I hear the screens do get better with a few hours on them but don't want to be watching stuff which may compromise its best future performance.

Thanks for any info.

Edit: Just realised this should no doubt be in the 'AV Displays' forum - mods please move if necessary.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Just play anything or watch a TV program that has a consistantly changing picture is about all there is to it

No TV programs with channel markers is a preference
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Simon.

It will have been fully soak tested during production it will be wearing out from today until the day it stops working. ;-)

I'm Paul.

I have a Panny plasma and the picture does improve over time, just use it as normal as Mark says. I was told not to use the Dynamic viewing mode very much, until it had a few days running under it's belt. Mine stays on Cinema mode all the time now, with tweaked settings to suit my room lighting.

Enjoy they are IMO the best value for money and the best screen for my tastes is without doubt a plasma panel

I'm David.

Nothing to worry about just turn it on and watch it...
    Even icons in the corner should cause issue these days...
    Plasma is def the way to go if money permits, good choice!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    It will have been fully soak tested during production it will be wearing out from today until the day it stops working. ;-)

Simon I have noted of late an increasing number of short, pithy, sniping opinions offered from you (but not supported by anything) at those who ask questions that don't tie in with your objectavists views. However, in my opinion, there is a way to express your valid opinion without being sarcastic and cutting + it would not hurt to put 'in my humble opinion' in there as many who hear and observe things differently to you post here and have an equally valid opinion and I include myself in that camp.

So post away but don't state things as absolutes as it comes across in a very closed minded patronising way and thus will get folks backs up, especially when their opinion is opposite to yours but also equally valid.

Frankly I don't know if a plasma or lcd screen can be run in or not, not owning either but its an interesting question and a wee bit of info on this would be both useful an educative.

....and Simon if you have supporting technical opinions from a suitable technical background that does not support it then that would give balance to things.

Regards D S D L

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV and the only advice I was given when running it in (mine did improve after a few weeks of use) was not to make much use of 'Dynamic' mode until it had run for a few days. Just watch normal TV and enjoy as others have mentioned

I find 'Cinema' mode the most pleasing and natural, but I tend to watch in a dimly lit room in the evening. It may differ in your room and with brighter lighting, but have a tweak and play around.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Buffet-blower.

Thanks all.

Tim - strangely enough, I've been using it on the Cinema mode before reading your post and yes, I think it looks the best too. The set just seems to a have a lovely, unforced presentation but with shedloads of contrast too.

Been watching the Blu-Ray re-mastering of the Italian Job (the original) and it's just stunning. I am a happy bunny.

HNY all - I'm off to get plasma'd this evening.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Simon I have noted of late an increasing number of short, pithy, sniping opinions offered from you (but not supported by anything) at those who ask questions that don't tie in with your objectavists views. However, in my opinion, there is a way to express your valid opinion without being sarcastic and cutting + it would not hurt to put 'in my humble opinion' in there as many who hear and observe things differently to you post here and have an equally valid opinion and I include myself in that camp.

So post away but don't state things as absolutes as it comes across in a very closed minded patronising way and thus will get folks backs up, especially when their opinion is opposite to yours but also equally valid.

Frankly I don't know if a plasma or lcd screen can be run in or not, not owning either but its an interesting question and a wee bit of info on this would be both useful an educative.

....and Simon if you have supporting technical opinions from a suitable technical background that does not support it then that would give balance to things.

Regards D S D L
    Thanks for your comments, I'm unsure of the posts to which you refer other than this one, perhaps you have misread my posts or made an inference that simply wasn't there. Why is it you pull me up but Hamish who states broadly similar things gets a free ride?

"Not supported by anything" I wasn't aware we had gone all objectivity and science based on the AOS, I must have missed that. But with regard to that you will find if you dig deep enough that most manufacturers quote their plasma screen somewhere between 20-50,000 hours lifespan (lifespan being the point at which the screen dims to 50%). Having friends who own and run an Av hire business, servicing the trade show industry tells me that these figures are a little on the generous side, based on the rate at which they 'retire' their screens due to age and failing contrast. So they are indeed running out from the day you first turn them on, unless you believe a witch or wizard comes along at some unspecified point into their lifespan and casts a 'wearing out' spell on them at the manufacturers behest.

I've never seen or heard anything about plasma screen run in from any creditable science lead source. I've never heard or read anything about it from an electronics and physics point of view- and if it's all the same I'd rather not be asked to present evidence to back up my opinion because no one else is ever asked to back up their subjectivist viewpoint and I'd rather not be labelled the objectivist hack if it's all the same.

Curiously there seems to be no demand for posters to back up a viewpoint on the 'Blackbody' thread- so i'm left wondering why is it that my opinion on this matter is singled out? It seems a little... unfair.

Please don't misinterpret anything on this post as being intentionally confrontational, it's so easy to misread the written word when you don't know the poster and I assure that it's certainly not my intention to be in any way confrontational on the AOS- that's what the Wam is for.

;-)

I'm Steve.

Our 37" Panasonic plasma panel bought back in 2004 is still going strong & gets A LOT of family use. No dimming or loss of contrast so far that we can see.
    For naturalness & ease of viewing it beats the LCD's in my opinion (We have a new LCD too).
    I guess they have moved a bit so should be even better.
    Good to hear they have dropped in power consumption a bit too.

I would buy plasma again for our main TV I think.

As for the original question - I don't think there is anyway to run them in further - just watch it.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast