+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cambridge Set-Up On Its Way!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

There's a few things you can do, hi-fi components run in at even low volumes. You could play pink noise but you'd be better off putting a CD on repeat. As for burn in times, it varies from a few hours to hundreds of hours, but I'd say 50-100 hours would be fine for most components. Standby doesn't count unfortunately, although it does keep things nice and warm and ensures (in a lot of cases) a quick warm-up.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

to add to the running in advice, i normally use an old fm tuner that I keep aside as a source to run in any gear further along the chain ie pre, power, speakers, cables etc. i find it the most power/cost effective source to use cos of the low power consumption, no mechanical parts/laser to damage or wear out. but since you've listed your computer/laptop? as a source, you can also hook that on and just repeat your entire collection of digital music a couple of times.

out of curiosity, what made you decide on the 540p stage as opposed to the 640p? if i recall, the price difference between the two is minimal (relatively) and the 640p gives the option of MC and is generally well regarded.
    kelvin.

.my salvation.
    kab technics sl-1200mkII/AT33PTG/achromat . philips dvd963sa (modded analogue stage) as cdp . pioneer tx-410 stereo tuner
    trichord dino phono preamp + dino ncpsu . astintrew at2000+ integrated amp
    alr-jordan note 3

I'm T.

I chose the 540P mainly because I don't need an MC input, nor do I need a subsonic filter in my system. Just didn't see the reasoning in spending the extra 80 or so bucks.

So let me get this straight: If I leave the unit(s) on 24/7 for say, a week let them see signal only whilst listening, is burn-in taking place?

i see. you have great discipline ... the upgraditis bug bits me on a regular basis.

as for running in, i think as long as there's a full signal from source to speakers/headphones, running in should take place. not sure if it's true, but i read somewhere that if you're running in a pre or power amp, if there's no load at the end, ie it's on mute or the volume is zero, there's no burn in or not as effective.
    kelvin.

.my salvation.
    kab technics sl-1200mkII/AT33PTG/achromat . philips dvd963sa (modded analogue stage) as cdp . pioneer tx-410 stereo tuner
    alr-jordan note 3

I'm T.

I think I agree. Whenever I burn-in interconnects and wire they need a load.

I'm loving this kit already....and man it's definitely improving by the day.

Interesting thing about burning-in with headphones: I read that this amplifier incorporates a small, seperate class-a headphone output circuit. When a headset is inserted, a relay clicks the speakers off, and leaves only headset output.

So, isn't that technically an additional amp stage needing burn-in?

true true .. i forgot that most amps with headphone outs would have a separate circuit for it .. and i don't think you can burn in speakers and headphones at the same time ...
    kelvin.

.my salvation.
    alr-jordan note 3

I've read nothing but good things about that amp, and particularly high praise for that little class A headphone circuit. Yes, the speaker amp and headamp will need to be burned in separately. And when you're done and it's time for a full report, this headphone geek would like to hear as much about that section as the speaker amp.

Tim

I'm T.

Well, run-in is just about complete. I have roughly 75 hours on the speaker outputs (pink noise 24/7) and the same or even more on the dedicated headphone amplifier output stage.

This amp improves A LOT during the first week of ownership;the memo in the manual was NOT lying.

I reckon that the phono stage is the only part which needs some more burn-in time, although it is very enjoyable at this point.

TFarney, I'm a headphone addict too. I use Grado SR325I and AKG K240's. Sold my Sennheisers (HD555) to fund the Little Dot MKII tube amp but honestly I may sell it.

The Cambridge has an astonishingly good headphone sound. with 32ohm nominal cans like my Grados, the 640A V2 kills the Little Dot in terms of power output and soundstage.

My theory is that since its solid state, it has the necessary current to drive 32 ohm cans whereas the Little Dot is better at high impedance loads.

The fact that it runs in class-a makes for some awesome listening.

Overall, highly recommended.

I'm listening to an original LP of Bauhaus' 'In the Flat Field' and its never sounded better.

TFarney, I'm a headphone addict too. I use Grado SR325I and AKG K240's. Sold my Sennheisers (HD555) to fund the Little Dot MKII tube amp but honestly I may sell it.

The Cambridge has an astonishingly good headphone sound. with 32ohm nominal cans like my Grados, the 640A V2 kills the Little Dot in terms of power output and soundstage.
    I've had a handful of dedicated headphone amps in the house, tube and otherwise, and remain unconvinced that most of them out-perform the headphone stages of quality integrated amplifiers. If you get into the very high-end, I'm sure there's an edge, and if you're using very low impedance phones with an amp that powers the headphone jack by stepping the mains down through resistors (the most common approach) some say that audibly affects the FR. Doesn't seem to phase hi-impedance cans, though. And for my Senns, the differences between dedicated hp amps and good integrateds or receivers have been very small and very much a matter of taste.

With the Cambridge in the house, I would think the Little Dot is redundant at best. Even if you someday go for a very difficult load like the HD600s or 650s. YMMV and all that...

Tim

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Glad you're enjoying it Zenny, definitely give it more time to run in completely, it'll improve gradually over the months. The phono stage will take a little longer as the input voltages are lower, but it'll catch up.

Lovely to hear someone enjoying their hi-fi.

Nice one.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread