+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Pair of 15" Eminence woofers

I'm Juha.

Default Wanted: Pair of 15" Eminence woofers

I am looking for a pair of Eminence EPS15-500 woofers.
    Alternatively I could do with more modern Kappalite 3015LF or DEFINIMAX 4015LF.

Thanks,
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Sorry, can't help you, but I do have 8 x Beta 15", any use?
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Juha.

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the offer but not unfortunately suitable for my new subwoofer project .

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Sorry, can't help you, but I do have 8 x Beta 15", any use?
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm ILOB.

If using with Bastanis ensure a good upper bass response to get the best out of the Bastanis
    I cannot find the specs to them but presume you done your homework already
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Juha.

Hi John.

I am planning to tip my toe to tapped baffle subwoofers wonderful world .

I have been reading a lot of these types of horn subwoofers over the Christmas time and I think this is something I want to try with Bastanis. What I am planning is a huge pair of corner tapped baffle horns to shake the house . This is all on the planning stage, but I really like what I have read so far and just want to start buying the woofers for the project first.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If using with Bastanis ensure a good upper bass response to get the best out of the Bastanis
    I cannot find the specs to them but presume you done your homework already
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

If you are going to do a tapped horn then get yourself a pair of Eminence LAB12 or LAB15 & do the job properly

You need something with an incredibly stiff cone, long excursion & low resonance. IE not a PA speaker

Check out Danleys THSpud & you'll see what I mean
    Bests, Mark

I'm ILOB.

Good luck with that
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Juha.

Hi Mark.

I tried using hornresp program, but way too difficult to me . Instead I took the lazy approach and found a ready made plans for a 20Hz tapped horn that a German chap had made, many thanks for him . He is using one 15" woofer tapped horn and a pair of 6.5" woofer tapped horns to cover the 20Hz-100Hz frequencies. This should be just perfect match with the Bastanis.

This project is not going to happen soon, because I have a big move ahead and then a total house refurbishment before I can even start building these horns. Earliest I can see everything in place will be 2013 .

I have the 6.5" drivers already, so just need the 15" ones.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Ah, I see Before you go mad I'd suggest a good look at some tapped horn projects on DIYAudio.

I'd suggest you'll find a good few in the subwoofer section. Only reason I'm pointing you there is because you really need to see more of these things rather than basing everything on a single design.

There are probably people on there that may well help you design one, I must admit Hornresp is a bit confusing I really wanted to get to grips with it as a pair of tapped horns did (& still does) look very interesting

Whatever you do I wish you luck, but please take my advice & look at other designs so you at least get a bit more of a feel for it.... Building something like this you really want to make 100% sure that you are doing exactly the right thing.
    Bests, Mark

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have heard a tapped bass horn at the last Owston do, using 6 inch drivers. It was very good IMHO, very tight bass without boom. Mark is correct with the type of driver needed. They were built by a young chap called Chris, who posts on audio Talk, and also on diy audio I think with the same moniker, Chriss661. Might be worth having a chat as he should be able to point you in the right direction.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast