+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The sound difference between Elna Silmic 1/2 versus Elna Cerafine

I'm Anthony.

+1 what sq said ^

Roberto, do you have any photo's with the lid off - caps shown in situ? I'm guessing the 220's are on the input, the 22's for feedback but the 1uF's?? Being a low value I'm wondering if they're in a similar position to a NAD amp I have, near the output in the speaker protection circuit.

Ant

I experimented with the Silmic in a Gator, and ended up sourcing some so that I can offer an Elna upgrade to the Gator. The sound is definitely more open with a better soundstage on the bipolar Silmic. The polarized Silmic is however a no no in the direct signal path.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Chances are that the Silmics are appreciably lower in ESR than the older caps, this will affect the sound of the amps.
    How does ESR affects sound, by being lower?

BTW Merry Christmas to all....
    Rob

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I experimented with the Silmic in a Gator, and ended up sourcing some so that I can offer an Elna upgrade to the Gator. The sound is definitely more open with a better soundstage on the bipolar Silmic. The polarized Silmic is however a no no in the direct signal path.
    So only bipolar caps if upgrading Gator??
    Rob

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    My guess is the amp has been brought back to to it's former glory, ie, the details you are now hearing were there in the first place but after time were muted by the degrading caps.

The kendeil 10,000 are fine for this application, as are the others.

Hope it settles for you though, if not, try replacing the caps back one by one with the old until satisfied (apart from the Kendeils)

Ant
    I do not think that old caps could work with such a details as the Silmics2 and Kendail together.
    The old caps are named for PSU (I) Wendell 4x6800uf 50v, (III)4x Wendell 220uf 16v, (II) 4x Wendell 22uf 25v and strangely:
    all 1uf 50v (IV) 2xWendell 1xTayeh and 1xPromin (they all should be the same name, maybe an ex owner played with it!).

Photos follows of the old caps.

Can send photos of new state of the amp as well?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    +1 what sq said ^

Roberto, do you have any photo's with the lid off - caps shown in situ? I'm guessing the 220's are on the input, the 22's for feedback but the 1uF's?? Being a low value I'm wondering if they're in a similar position to a NAD amp I have, near the output in the speaker protection circuit.

Ant
    I sent photos and I am not sure what the 1uF should be for.
    Bear in mind that this amp has 4 channels,but with switch I only use them as Stereo.
    As far as I know Silmics can be be used on almost any place in circuit (not for PSU duties of course)?
    Rob

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RoboCopper View Post
    So only bipolar caps if upgrading Gator??
    For the Gator board coupling caps, yes. For all main Caiman cap replacement, use the polar versions.

I'm Simon.

Robo have you checked the bias on the output devices since you swApped the parts over. These appear to closely follow the RCA application note design in which case after many years of use and swapping parts they will very likely need sett g correctly.

I'm Rob.

No, I have not checked bias.
    Rob

I'm Anthony.

Hi Roberto, sorry it's taken a while to reply.

I've had a look through your photo's but I can't make out what's what circuit wise - I've been searching for a schematic with no joy as yet, although I'll keep looking.

I wouldn't worry about the various brands of original caps, that's a common thing. I would definitely check the bias as sq said though, there's plenty of info on-line to help you along if in doubt.

Ant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast