+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Technics SL1210mk2 - Where to start

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Hi Graeme

If you do decide to get a new cartridge then if you get a standard Technics headshell and assuming you keep the stock Technics arm (it's not at all bad and you can always get it rewired by J7 at Audio Origami while deciding whether to get a new arm) then this is all you need to setup your cartridge properly (see piccies) - They are quite hard to come by now but you're welcome to borrow mine.

Steve
    You can easily get the overhang tool from Kevin at KAB: http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

In reference to the stock arm, they really can be modded to sound good. Jim Howard of Applied Fidelity uses silver wire that uses a solid core teflon coated silver electrode wiring used for medical instrumentation. Its double ground, annealed, teflon coated and takes some serious skill to solder because that 32 awg conductor likes to melt right into the solder. I heard some CD's of his set up that he sent me and it sounded great. I am picking up another SL 1200 MK II tomorrow for a decent price of $225 US and I am going to mod the stock arm on this one and see how it compares to my current set up. FWIW, I like Audio Origami's prices; I wish they had a branch here in the US.
    *Parasound HCA 1500a Amplifier.
    *Dared SL-2000A Pre-Amp, Psvane 12AT7's, Brimar Rectifier.
    *Basis 1400, RB300 w/Incognito, Audio Technica T33EV
    *Technics SL-1200 MK II, Sumiko Premier MMT Tonearm, Audioquest Tonearm Cable, Applied Fidelity Bearing, Isonoe Footers, Denon DL-103R.
    *Highly Modded Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp.
    *Squeezebox Touch
    *Grant Fidelity DAC09 DAC.
    *Snell Acoustics Type EII Speakers.

I'm Robert.

Agree re: The stock arm. The MK5g has the better wire running through the arm as standard so I can imagine that a good re-wire on the other Techies would reap great results. I've added the KAB fluid damper plus a damn good cart (2M black) I am amazed / thrilled at the delivery with the stock arm. The fact the superb fly on the wheel vta is also part of that means I've never felt the need to chop the stock arm out. I've added the Mike New bearing and Isonoes and the Techie sounds wonderful, the realism and sense of what each recording is about brings a big smile to my face. I think an upgrade platter over anything else right now would be amazing

I'm Andy.

You could also look at the Vantage Audio feet which are only 25 quid - I preferred them to Isonoes in my rig tbh. YMMV of course but they do work very well, and are adjustable too. With the Achromat you've got a decent jump in performance for a smidge under a ton.

The 1210's a very talkative bit of kit, in that each mod you can make to it, it'll be obvious as to whether it works or not.

Most of all though - have fun!

Any one got a link/piccies of the Vantage Audio feet?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm stu.

Confused.

Surely a better cart will give a much bigger difference than some feet.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post

Any one got a link/piccies of the Vantage Audio feet?
    Here you go...

Very simple little things which just screw into the existing threads. They're made of natural rubber apparently, quite soft and whilst the deck can be moved side to side slightly they don't have much up and down movement. Wondering if they strike a good compromise between coupling/de-coupling. I can thump the shelf fairly hard and very little noise gets through to the speakers anyway.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Graeme.

Smile thank you to all

a big thanks to all who replied on this post, I will surely check out all the advice given here.

Have a great holiday season!

Graeme

I'm Jostein.

KAB tells why the SL1200 is the top:

http://www.kabusa.com/1200agon.htm
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Here you go...

Very simple little things which just screw into the existing threads. They're made of natural rubber apparently, quite soft and whilst the deck can be moved side to side slightly they don't have much up and down movement. Wondering if they strike a good compromise between coupling/de-coupling. I can thump the shelf fairly hard and very little noise gets through to the speakers anyway.
    Hi Richard

They look identical to the feet being sold by Origin Live http://www.hi-fi-accessories-1.com/replacement-feet.htm However as the photo does not show the feel in detail, are they the same?

Regards D S D L

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Hi Richard

They look identical to the feet being sold by Origin Live http://www.hi-fi-accessories-1.com/replacement-feet.htm However as the photo does not show the feel in detail, are they the same?

Regards D S D L
    Aah - them's the same ones Neil. Richard doesn't sell his with those little 'discs' (I presume they're designed to go under the feet?) just the feet on their own. They do work damn well though - took me a bit by surprise tbh.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
    Surely a better cart will give a much bigger difference than some feet.
    Not really. Getting the basic turntable optimised is worth much more in sound quality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast