+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 restoration project

I'm Juha.

I was thinking upgrading my 401 bearing to Kokomo, but after reading that this upgrade can/will ground spindle to unusable condition, I have not had the courage. It could be that this is the reason why there is MkII Kokomo bearing kit on the market now . On the other hand there is so much wrong info circulating the web that you have to take most new info with pint of salt.

I am planning to send my 401 to Dom for a service, so I have decided not to bother with the Kokomo kit at the moment anyway. I am sure he will spot if there is any damage on the bearing what needs his attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Have you dismantled the bearing assembly yet, Andrew? My 401 bearing was fine, but it rumbled like a basterd, it was actually the idler wheel and inside of the platter that once cleaned up cured it - I'm a bit suspicious of the aftermarket bearings, to be honest - lots of contradictory stories out there, and provided everything is sorted on the standard one I don't think it will the the source of any rumble. I'm no expert on these matters, though - just my personal opinion/experience.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Andrew.

Have you dismantled the bearing assembly yet, Andrew? My 401 bearing was fine, but it rumbled like a basterd, it was actually the idler wheel and inside of the platter that once cleaned up cured it - I'm a bit suspicious of the aftermarket bearings, to be honest - lots of contradictory stories out there, and provided everything is sorted on the standard one I don't think it will the the source of any rumble. I'm no expert on these matters, though - just my personal opinion/experience.
    Not yet! The bearing appears to be ok, I'll be replacing the felt wool and I'll probably be degreasing and re-oiling the thing shortly. My 301 did rumble so I presume either the bearing needed a strip, clean and relube or the idler wheel is buggered. I had a look at it last night and it looks pretty straight, it's not hardened so I'll be leaving this alone for the time being. I'll be dismantling all the metal work tonight/tomorrow so I can clean it ready for reassembly. The motor will be the biggest bit for me. I'll be leaving this till last Thanks guys for the comments re kokomo, I'm doing the refurb on a budget as my main deck is the 1210 and I have big plans for the little beasty next year. I may just leave the bearing alone and see how it performs after the overhaul! I'll try and get some more pix up tonight if I get time.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dominic.

Hi Guys, just a note. I haven't actually heard rumble on any garrads. However, Dom always plays them after he has serviced them. But I can confirm his own deck has not had a full service as yet, and the guys that came to the bakeoff stated that they could not hear any rumble either. So, my opinion would be that garrards properly serviced do not rumble. I have yet to hear one that does.

Cheers
    Natalie

I'm Andrew.

Just a couple of quick questions -

1. Can anyone recommend decent copper cabling for a rewire of the 301?

2. Is there any specific grease or oil that is especially recommended for the 301?

3. Any specific recommendations for tonearms, I'm looking for synergy between the deck and the tonearm. I have 2 spare to play with, a SME 3009 (improved), and a Michelle Technoarm. I maybe moving over my Audiotechnica cartridge onto the 301 when I get my Ortofon black next year.

Andy
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

More photographs! Today the 301 has been completely dissembled. The motor unit has been opened upon and there appears to be some severe wear and tear on the rotor spindle assembly look knackered I think I have decided to leave the wiring alone I dont think I want to mess around with the stator Assembly. Whilst messing around with the motor today I removed all the top and bottom springs and also the rubber sleeves, these were all knackered but I have ordered a new set of both. The earthing lead was completely shot so I'll probably get the soldering iron out and make a new one and I'll probably resolder the switch lead assembly and the contact springs as well as removing and resoldering any older solder with new Silver solder. I have removed all the gromets as these had hardened, again I have ordered new. so far things appear to be going ok, I have one or two costly parts to buy but all in all I'm pretty happy with the way things are going.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hats off to you for doing the motor (I knew my 401 was "low miles" so bottled it!) The oil I went for was Dom's own - http://northwestanalogue.weebly.com/shop.html - but is your 301 a "grease bearing" version? Dom may be best to advise here.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Andrew.

Hats off to you for doing the motor (I knew my 401 was "low miles" so bottled it!) The oil I went for was Dom's own - http://northwestanalogue.weebly.com/shop.html - but is your 301 a "grease bearing" version? Dom may be best to advise here.
    Mines an oil bearing version. The rotor spindle assembly is ok, a couple of quick posts from Dom cleared things up, thanks mate! I'm just in the process of cleaning all the parts up, getting ready of the grunge from the parts etc. I've not taken out the bearing in the motor as I dont really want to be messing around drilling out 4 rivets. It looks to be in fine fettle but if things dont quite go to plan I can always strip it down again now I know how the thing works. Today will be spent making some mounting nuts for the plinth, wait till you see a photo of the lump of stone I have for the plinth. Its sitting in my back garden at this moment in time.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Another day and another update. Done quite a lot today. The platter has been repainted internally and externally (which i may do again as i'm not happy with the finish). The strobe marking on the periphery of the platter have been polished. Prolly 1st time ever The bearing had a good degrease and poilsh with good old brasso today. Even the nuts and bolts got a cleaning. Today I also managed to get some measurements in for the plinth (see photo included). The stone I have may be large enough for a 12" arm , its 75mm thick and I have no idea how much it weighs. I'll have to start and look for a workshop that can work with it. I also managed to make some custom 85mm threads so i can mount the chasis on the plinth. Over the next few days I'll be looking for some small nuts and bolts for the faceplates on the plinth. I'm not going to rivet these as I dont have the gear and I dont want to spend the money on rivets and a river gun (well I might, depends on how expenisve they are??). I think the next stage will be to clean and rebuild the motor unit and maybe some resoldering OK, enough for today hope you enjoy the pix.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

just a few more pictures of the cleaned up bearing unit and one or two showing the platter mounted on the 301 and another showing the nicely cleaned up strobe markings. I'll be getting an ultrasonic cleaner in a few days some all the nuts, bolts, and washer will be getting a clean. Yep I intend to really go to town with this one......
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Lovely
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast