+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 restoration project

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Nice, I'm going to read thought this and nick your ideas
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Andrew.

If you need any help just mail me. The 301 is still being tinkered with and gives its own sonic representation of whats on vinyl. I dont think I can do much more with it other than go down the Shindo route and then it wouldnt be my 301 anymore. As mentioned earlier platter and new MC I think
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

My SME 3012 has finally got back from jonnie at audio origami. I now have some toys to play with, mainly a new (to me) aluminium rebodied denon 103, the Thomas Schlick (sic) headshell, my Koetsu black, and of course the lovely ikeda rewire of the 3012. The 301 is finished for now, time to sit back and spin some toons. Pics to follow later.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Well after a scare the 301 decided it didnt want to play ball and would not start. A quick check revealed a loose lead. A quick email to Dom at NWA provided a solution. I would like to openly thank DOM for going the extra mile and helping out. Twas late at night when I emailed and got a picture and explanation. Once again a big thanks to Dom. The 301 sounds pretty good. I shall be testing it and putting it through its paces through my reference system and then listening through the valve system.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post

And this is what it looks like afterwards.

With that soowerberfane section being pretty soft, is there much chance of appling too much pressure to one side of the mounting plate rendering it not precisely flat?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    With that soowerberfane section being pretty soft, is there much chance of appling too much pressure to one side of the mounting plate rendering it not precisely flat?
    Yeah that could happen I s'pose. It's only a little experiment TBH. I need to listen and then evaluate, it will probably come out at some point, but for the time being it's staying in place.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

DSCN1243.jpg

Latest update to the 301, a rebodied Denon 103 in a aluminium case. This was purchased from John, a member of AOS. Currently set up with Baerweld geometry via Dr. Feckart and tracking at 2.3g. I've had it setup at 2.5g and keep messing around just for fun and just to see how the thing sounds. It's a neat upgrade and I can say that all the hype of rebodied 103's is true. I should be recieving some nice little upgrades courtesy of Audiotechnica later in the week, nothing new and a couple of the AOS members already have them bolted onto their rigs.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The SME 3012 arm was designed to follow the Stevenson prescription for minimal tracking error. It will be impossible for the arm to achieve both the Baerwald null-points if the SME headshell is used, as one would need to skew the cartridge in the headshell.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The SME 3012 arm was designed to follow the Stevenson prescription for minimal tracking error. It will be impossible for the arm to achieve both the Baerwald null-points if the SME headshell is used, as one would need to skew the cartridge in the headshell.
    Well I've managed it! Just for fun I will try Stevenson as well. Fekhart can do this as well. Thanks for the heads up Barry.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Neal.

If these VE figures are correct you'll be fine with Lofgren A (Baerwald)...just a slight twist of the cartridge needed and it will give lower distortion.

Edit: Barry's correct, it's a fixed hole headshell? I was assuming a slotted one...

SME3012.jpg
    Last edited by NRG; 28-04-2014 at 08:55.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast