+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 restoration project

I'm Brian.

Well not quite Andy . I've thought long and hard about selling the LPs which I have , most of which are new , and I've decided to keep them . So I now need something to play them on and have bought an old Sony turntable to tide me over . I'm trying to get a phono stage fitted to my Croft preamp , however , it's proving a little difficult . If/when a suitable GL75 comes up again I will probably be revisiting your thread
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Is that a bamboo chopping board Andy?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Who has left?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Mr. Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Well not quite Andy . I've thought long and hard about selling the LPs which I have , most of which are new , and I've decided to keep them . So I now need something to play them on and have bought an old Sony turntable to tide me over . I'm trying to get a phono stage fitted to my Croft preamp , however , it's proving a little difficult . If/when a suitable GL75 comes up again I will probably be revisiting your thread
    Ah ha! So your still like the black stuff. The old Japanese DD turntables are some of the best available and there are some real gems and some very over priced stuff as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Is that a bamboo chopping board Andy?
    Yeah just a bamboo chopping board. Sourced from eBay.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Well after all my experiments with the Lenco's I had to start again with the 301. So I've bought a new bearing from Malaysia.

Cost was very reasonable compared to the stuff floating around on eBay. So, for the price it cost I'm happy because I should be able to get my money back very easily if I don't like what I hear! More when it arrives.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Russell.

Damn that 301 is drop dead gorgeous! And I appreciate you telling us how it sounds, it always irks me when someone shows a cool piece of kit and doesn't elaborate on how it sounds. Good luck on a new preamp, I'm using a Musical Surroundings Phonomena that I picked up for $400, and I've really been eyeing the Jolida JD9. I know you have a million to choose from, but you can't go wrong with either of those, without breaking the bank. But that 'table is down right sexy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Damn that 301 is drop dead gorgeous! And I appreciate you telling us how it sounds, it always irks me when someone shows a cool piece of kit and doesn't elaborate on how it sounds. Good luck on a new preamp, I'm using a Musical Surroundings Phonomena that I picked up for $400, and I've really been eyeing the Jolida JD9. I know you have a million to choose from, but you can't go wrong with either of those, without breaking the bank. But that 'table is down right sexy!

Russ, thanks the cool comments! I might be changing the plinth at some point for a 2 arm version but thats another story. I intend to actually see how the decks performing as well and have bought a few pieces of test equipment. I have now have to learn how to use them . The whole valve system is undergoing something of a overhaul. My Paradise phonostage is being upgraded and so are my Tannoy cross-overs, and I may have a new power amp by the end of the year! Anyway, I'll be keeping the thread updated so stay tuned.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Russell.

Thank you for some good reading! I know you'll be pleased with all your upgrades, sounds like you are making wise choices!

I'm Andrew.

Tonight Update - The Garrard Project Pt III - Bearing up.

The 301 has not recieved a great deal of TLC over the last few years mainly because it's not needed it. This is hobby is strange in that every so often I get compelled to buy something just for the hell of it and the bearing once one such an occasion. The price was miniscule compared to some of the over priced bumph advertised on eBay so I paid my money and took my chances. I'm pleased to say I think I've discovered a giant killer. The new bearing replaces a completely stock Garrard 401 bearing that I refurbished some time ago. The 401 bearing has sat in the 301 and produced many fantastic weeked jazz sessions quitely enjoyed with single malt! The new bearing is a beast as you can see when you compare it to the Garrard 401 stock bearing.

It came delivered in a pipe bomb!

DSCN3300.jpg

DSCN3304.jpg

The new bearing has not been without it's problems and currently I have an issue selecting 33.3rpm speed and the tachometer dosen't fully work as I have to reconfigure the height of the bearing. This is actually a good thing because I intend to start implementing some of my mods from the Lenco 75 project onto the 301 and I want to experiment with improved coupling of the bearing to the top plate. I'm probably going to start with some Sorbothane between the top plate and the bearing. I'm hoping this supresses motor vibration into the bearing. I quickly installed it and had a quick listen. It's sublime! Here are a couple of shots of the bearing installed.

DSCN3310.jpg DSCN3308.jpg

So, tomorrow is going to be all about optimising platter height, getting the 33 speed selectror and Tachometer to work. I'll also start some provisional work on making a bearing coupling template out of sorbothane.

As ever. Stay Tuned.........
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonights update - The Garrard Project pt IV - So near yet so far.....

The Garrard now spins properly at 33.3rpm I removed my old shims from under the bearing but the downside is that the platter is now catching the Pheonix Tachometer. The problem should be an easy fix which probably revolves around inserting x3 1mm shims under the bearing. The shim experimentation also allows me to recognise the correct thickness for the EVA or Sorbothane bearing "cushion" to try and better couple the bearing to 301 chasis. It's going to be a little trial and error before we get the new bearing and the Tachometer working. I've developed a rather annoying hum which I never used to have and I've managed to snap a connector on the tonearm cable so tomorrow night's job revolves around repairing that and then looking for suitable shims. Life is never dull when your restoring these old decks. I was going to write a few lines aout the performance of the bearing but that's not going to happen for a while so I've got the Garrard running on continual 78rpm to get the new bearing bedded in. The Garrard being out of action is the perfect oppotunity to buy one of these https://www.perfectsound.co.uk/store/3/product/26/ these guys are officially authorised by the owners of Garrard to reproduce Garrard 301 parts and it looks like its a better designed part than the original anyway. So, it's upwards and onwards.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Keith.

It will be interesting to hear your findings re the new bearing Andy as I have been considering trying one on a GL75 that I am working on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast