+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 restoration project

I'm Mikkel.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    That's why you need the shims!
    I thought that might be the case. But, does the platter have enough overhang for the sensor to be able to get close enough to it? Does that question make sense?

I'm Mikkel.

Look at the pictures in post #278 to see how I mounted the PCB which comes with the Pheonix. It dosen't look pretty but it works, I suppose I should mount it under the platter.
    Wil do. Under, is the other option I'm contemplating, wiring in from under and all.

I'm Andrew.

Been a little while since I updated this thread. I now have a little bamboo isolation project on the go. The results from my other two experiments with my lenco and 1210 have brought very nice improvements for the outlay so I thought why not! It'll be a while before I get round to making the board so stay tuned.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Five and a half years down the road, how close do you think you are now to completion?

Or is it a bit of a Sisyphean project?
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Five and a half years down the road, how close do you think you are now to completion?

Or is it a bit of a Sisyphean project?
    I'd say that the vast majority (90%) of the deck is complete but there is always something which can be tweaked. I've actually left the 301 in a pretty much vanilla state and not done very many of the mods published. I've a 401 bearing runnning instead of the 301 but that's because I think the 401 bearing is a better than the 301. I've never been a big fan of after market 301 mods as I think this actually then stops the deck being a 301. I'm also have no intenttion of buying these mods due to lack of evidence with respects to any sonic benefits, the dubious nature of some designs and the stupidly high prices that the vast majority of these mods are commanding. So I wouldn't call my task Sisyphean. In some repects the 301 is the boulder that Sisyphus was comdemned to roll but only because there will always be new carts, new platter mats, new tonearms and it's in these areas that I'll probably be tweaking. I do intend at some stage have another look at the 301 and implement some of the tweaks I learned from the Lenco but this will probably be over Summer. Stay tuned.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Garrard Project Part I - Slow boat from China.

I order a load of stuff from China mainly because its cheap and it usually works very well and my favourite spikes for isolation boards happen to hail from China. This latest set cost £20, I laugh when I see similar products in this country advertised at several hundred pounds the only downside to being a tight arse is the delivery time which is usually several weeks. This project has been rolling on for 5 1/2 years so a few weeks is nothing . I managed to source a bamboo board which perfectly matches the footprint of my 301 but is about 10mm thinner than my other experimental attempts, this should be interesting. Stay tuned when I should hopefully have some nice new piccies for the next update.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Garrard 301 Project Pt II - Slow boat from China Arrived

My usage of Bamboo in my system is no secret as I've been very happy with the results with my Lenco 75 and my Technics 1210. I decided to try the same trick under my 301 and I'm pleased to report that for a small outlay of <£50 we have improved the sonics of the deck. I'm now sold on the idea that experimentation with wood has a profund effect upon sonic signature. So what did I hear? Well I noticed greater timbral details, the opening double bass of So What (Miles Davis) went a little deeper, was a little more solid and showed slightly more microdetail than what I'm used to hearing. I'd say that there was a smidge more space bewteen the instruments and a greater solidity to trumpet and bass. Close mic vocals appeared a little more realistic and I once again noted a little more detail when listening to the backgroud noises of the audience. I even noted some mumbling on a Wayne Shorter track by one of the band members that I'd never heard before.

DSCN3046.jpg

The deck as of May 2017. As ever please stay tuned.................
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

That Garrard 301 is absolutely beautiful Andy . I hope it sounds as good as it looks
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    That Garrard 301 is absolutely beautiful Andy . I hope it sounds as good as it looks
    Yeah it sounds pretty good, lots more to do. Looks like you've left our vinyl world
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Bigman80 Guest

Yeah it sounds pretty good, lots more to do. Looks like you've left our vinyl world
    Who has left?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast